Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Feb 16, 2012, 04:45 PM   #1
tblrsa
macrumors regular

Older Apps/Games and Gatekeeper

Does anyone already know if we are forced to turn off Gatekeeper if we happen to have older Apps or Games which we purchased from the Developers Website or got on DVD?

Im talking about Apps which have not been shipped with signatures, so Im not sure if Mountain Lion will let those Apps run with Gatekeeper turned on.
In my case I purchased Telltales "Tales Of Monkey Island" and "Sam&Max" which got shipped to me on disc at the end of the season. Another example would be the game "Machinarium".
Old Feb 16, 2012, 04:48 PM   #2
moderngamenewb
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblrsa View Post
Does anyone already know if we are forced to turn off Gatekeeper if we happen to have older Apps or Games which we purchased from the Developers Website or got on DVD?

Im talking about Apps which have not been shipped with signatures, so Im not sure if Mountain Lion will let those Apps run with Gatekeeper turned on.
Yes. I am running 10.7.3, and I turned on gatekeeper by trying the terminal command. Gatekeeper works. I downloaded a program online, it wouldn't let me open it because it wasn't from the app store. I tried opening Handbrake which I've had on my computer for a while, and it doesn't work with Gatekeeper turned on. So yes, it does have to be turned off.

UPDATE: Some apps seem to work, and others don't. I think it all depends on whether or not it's been signed
moderngamenewb is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 04:50 PM   #3
tblrsa
macrumors regular

Alright, thanks for clarification. Seems to me that Apps where the developer is not exactly known (iE. Truecrypt) will be affected as well.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion