Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
This is my biggest question, too. If I can upgrade from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion for $29 or less, it might actually be worth it. The upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion, though, just isn't worth $29.

I have two laptops running Snow Leopard. My mini runs Lion because it shipped with it. If I do end up buying Mountain Lion, can I buy it once and install it on all three machines? Apps from the OSX App store work that way because of using the same Apple ID. Does the OS work that way?

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
My concern as well. I have held off on upgrading my Mac Pro to Lion but I don't like to get 2 generations behind. If it will, perhaps I will just bite the bullet and upgrade my mac pro asap.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I don't care.

If it's worth using I will do a clean install... or buy a new Mac laptop

(or whatever they're called if Apple's still making them)

rprebel

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2010
Where the bluebonnets bloom
I don't see how it would matter. If you have the App Store, then you should be golden. An example of that is the upgrade to SL. The "upgrade" discs weren't upgrades at all, but the complete OS for $30. I went straight from 10.4 to 10.6 that way. Requiring 10.7 to get 10.8 just makes no sense. That's not a personal attack, I'm just saying that it doesn't make good business sense and Apple hasn't done it this way in the past.

Neolithium

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever the army needs me.
It won't affect me since any Mac computer I have has Lion on it that came preinstalled - though I can quite see a lot of users wanting to jump from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion. As far as I'm concerned it should not require Lion. What will happen though and what I believe could very well be 2 different things.

Marky

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2005
The following question and answer is given by Macworld in an article about the things you need to know about Mountain Lion.

Will I need to be running Lion to upgrade to Mountain Lion, or can I upgrade straight from Snow Leopard?

According to the information Apple has provided with the developer preview, you need to be running at least the latest version of Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.8) to install Mountain Lion.

http://www.macworld.com/article/165460/2012/02/mountain_lion_what_you_need_to_know.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.