Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
On my Mac Book Air, Messages looks just like it does in the videos of it and very similar to the iPad and iPhone interface.

On my iMac, there are a handful of odd / different things about the interface:

1 - Text appears over a much flatter, matte looking background rather than the bubble background.
2 - The text stretches all the way from the right side of the available space to the left (rather than only being about 2/3 of the available width.)
3 - Pictures appear on the left side of the screen, regardless of who sent the message (rather than the picture of me appearing on the right side of the screen.)
4 - There's no tail on the messages to indicate which person was talking.
5 - Rather than displaying the ••• symbol to show someone is typing, it shows a text message of "..." - something people actually send sometimes, so it's confusing whether they actually sent three dots or are in the process of typing something.

How can I change the interface on my iMac so it matches with my MBA?

Edit: Found it! It's hidden in a very non obvious spot. You'd think it'd be in the preferences window, like everything else, but instead it's in:

"View -> Messages -> Show as Balloons"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.