Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hugobaoloc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
i have an iphone 4 and ipad charger

I want to use this charger to charge for my iphone 4

whether any problems occurred?

specifications:
iphone charger : 5v-1A
ipad charger : 5v-2.1A

thank you very much

normanbates

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2011
What does this sentence mean? iPhone and iPad electrical plug-to-USB adapters are 100% interchangeable. Anyone that suggests otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

The iPhone adapter isn't totally compatible with the iPad. The iPad requires a higher amp to charge properly. You can use an iPhone adapter to charge the iPad however it is slower and not recommended for the sake of the battery

normanbates

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2011
Wrong. Not recommended by whom?

Anyone that knows what they're doing. You shouldn't charge a battery with a source that doesn't have the required rating of amps for the battery as it will eventually damage it. iPad battery's are no different

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Anyone that knows what they're doing. You shouldn't charge a battery with a source that doesn't have the required rating of amps for the battery as it will eventually damage it. iPad battery's are no different

Please provide an Apple support document to support your claim that it is not recommended to charge an iPad with an iPhone adapter. On Apple's iPad battery page it says you can use an iPhone adapter.

Charging Tips

The quickest way to charge your iPad is with the included 10W USB Power Adapter. iPad will also charge, although more slowly, when attached to a computer with a high-power USB port (many recent Mac computers) or with an iPhone Power Adapter. When attached to a computer via a standard USB port (most PCs or older Mac computers) iPad will charge, but only when it's in sleep mode. Make sure your computer is on while charging iPad via USB. If iPad is connected to a computer that’s turned off or is in sleep or standby mode, the iPad battery will continue to drain.

In any case it does not matter, as the OP is asking about charging an iPhone 4 with an iPad adapter, which is officially supported by Apple.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4327

The iPad USB Power Adapter is a 10W charger. While designed for use with the iPad, you can use the iPad 10W USB Power Adapter to charge all iPhone and iPod models by connecting them using a Dock Connector to USB cable.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
holy pwnage batman! :eek:

Thanks for that post however. I was actually wondering about the interchangability of the two charging solutions. It's good to know that you can use one for the other and vice-versa.

normanbates

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2011
Please provide an Apple support document to support your claim that it is not recommended to charge an iPad with an iPhone adapter. On Apple's iPad battery page it says you can use an iPhone adapter.

In any case it does not matter, as the OP is asking about charging an iPhone 4 with an iPad adapter, which is officially supported by Apple.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4327

miles01110 - I think this link will answer your question on wanting proof the that iPhone charger is NOT compatible with the iPad - http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB706B/B

I, for some reason cannot find an iPad on the list of compatible devices

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
As you can see the link came from Apple!!!

The link does not state that charging your iPad with an iPhone adapter is harmful, which you still have not supported with evidence.

normanbates said:

Let us know if you find such a document. Until then save your hand-waving.

AppleBlogAt

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2012
I have an iPad2 and an iPhone 4 and when I want to charge the iPad with the iPhone charger it doesn't charge if the iPad is On, if I press the on/off button it charges. Like one user said above, the iPad needs a higher Amperage, but 1A charger will do.

Makman8

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2011
Noho CA
Honestly, from just experience charging all of my apple products with their chargers. I have never had any issues or seen damage to my batteries or devices by using different apple chargers. And I think apple is smart enough to make sure all their devices can be charged by their chargers.

Now of course the voltage may be different for both the ipad charger and the iphone charger since they are different units, they still receive a charge.

So if it works it works :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.