Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:28 PM   #1
Wanted797
macrumors member

Can you back up and update an iPhone without loosing any data?

My girl friend has an iPhone and I'm wanting to get her to update to iOS 5 however I don't think she ever connected her phone up to a computer like I have, (It was set up in the store).

I tried to plug it in and get it to back up and update but it comes up with the 'set up iPhone' screen and asks if I want to sync. I wasn't sure if this would wipe all her data (contacts, messages, photos etc.) or just her music. (As my iPhone has done sometimes.)

Is there a way I can get her iPhone back up update to iOS 5 without her losing any data?
Wanted797 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:59 AM   #2
normanbates
macrumors regular

You can back it up and won't lose SMS, pics and contacts etc but it MAY delete your music.

Important bit of advice though, if you're upgrading to iOS 5 from 4 or less save your contacts in the computer's/mac's address book away from iTunes and save the pics to your hard drive.

The reason for this is because iOS 4 and less backups are not compatible with iOS 5. It will fail the restore from backup every time. You are gonna lose the SMS for sure I'm afraid unless you can download a 3rd party SMS saver
normanbates is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:51 AM   #3
dave420
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanbates View Post
The reason for this is because iOS 4 and less backups are not compatible with iOS 5. It will fail the restore from backup every time. You are gonna lose the SMS for sure I'm afraid unless you can download a 3rd party SMS saver
It is a good idea to backup, but I think it is rare that restoring the backup fails after updating to iOS 5. I have updated a bunch of devices and never had that problem. I have read reports of people having that problem though.
dave420 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:09 PM   #4
Kashika
macrumors regular

When you connect her iPhone, right click on it in iTunes and make a backup.

That contains all her settings, texts, contacts, calender events and app data.
To be sure also transfer her purchases (also with a right click).

After you update, you will have to sync her iPhone to the computer. This will delete everything on it.
Because her data was backed up, that data is restored. Her apps can also be synced if selected in iTunes.

She will lose her movies and music (unless purchased, then you can put them back in iTunes).
Kashika is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Tags
backup advice, ios5, iphone, updating