Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Burton8219

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2007
Did anyone take the plunge and make this their daily OS? I know it's a DP, but so far I think it might be good enough. No major bugs that I've seen... Also, for anyone who has done this, can you just do an upgrade like Lion? Basically have your same machine, just with ML as your OS?

ZacNicholson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Austin
i am. i have used it for about 2 hours and the only real bug i have found is my spotlight wont index besides that it seems to be very smooth for a beta.

GoGa

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2012
I am, and i must say its actually really good! I haven't found any major bugs.

And to answer your question, when you update all you files/programs/everything is still all there.

Brendando

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2010
Because I've only just got Lion the way I want it, and I'm actually using it for work a lot more frequently then before, I decided against taking the usual plunge and consequential reinstalls for every new Preview- Dual-Booting at the moment. Once I'm happy at how stable it is, then I'll go ahead and migrate everything over. The iOS integration is killer though.

adamtj11

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Belfast
I am, and i must say its actually really good! I haven't found any major bugs.

And to answer your question, when you update all you files/programs/everything is still all there.

I have used it since yesterday(without replacing Lion) , it is way way way faster than Lion and is actually lovely and stable.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Nope it breaks a few core stuff for me and is therefore untenable.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

i am but shouldnt have ^^ Spotlight is broken and the mission control preview pictures of all your spaces are low res and full of pixel

realitymonkey

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2010
I am no real massive glitches although the install totally screwed my machine so had to start from scratch.

(I do have an image of my drive prior to update so will simple chuck that back on if I land in any issues.)

Burton8219

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2007
Yeah gonna test it out a little bit before I make the plunge and make it my main OS... especially since I only have my one machine at school with me.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
So if I buy a dev account I'll be able to use Mountain Lion on my dads MBP? He said he doesn't mind me doing this at all. :)

Or could I just put it in VMWare Fusion?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I don't know about VMWare, but you can install it on an external drive and boot from that.

To those who have installed it: How is battery life?

Burton8219

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2007
So if I buy a dev account I'll be able to use Mountain Lion on my dads MBP? He said he doesn't mind me doing this at all. :)

Or could I just put it in VMWare Fusion?

I have a dev account, and I'm most certainly not condoning this, but if you can find the DMG floating around somewhere you can install it on a partition. But I do like how you're trying to be honest about it and buy a dev account. Yes you can put it on his computer, but make sure to make a partition of you drive instead of just upgrading your existing OS. It's a DP for a reason... could have big bugs.

Blipp

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
Does anyone in here actually has permission to be running Mountain Lion through their developer license? I can't imagine a developer recommending that anyone use a beta OS as their primary OS.

No, you should never use a developer preview as your day to day OS even if you're a developer. Developer previews are updated often and things that work can break without much warning and so on. Just wait for Mountain Lion's public release, there's no reason to jump the gun and start using it as your primary OS less than a week into the dev preview. Yeesh.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
Does anyone in here actually has permission to be running Mountain Lion through their developer license? I can't imagine a developer recommending that anyone use a beta OS as their primary OS.

No, you should never use a developer preview as your day to day OS even if you're a developer. Developer previews are updated often and things that work can break without much warning and so on. Just wait for Mountain Lion's public release, there's no reason to jump the gun and start using it as your primary OS less than a week into the dev preview. Yeesh.

I have a paid dev account :) - it expires in 6 days though ;)

Surely by people using it as their main OS it has to be a good way to find bugs? That's how I see it.. then whenever I come across a bug I submit it to Apple.

Angry-Birds

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2011

I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that a dev preview is exactly as the name implies- giving a pre-release platform to developers so they can iron out any compatibility issues before ML gets released to the public.

It's been great for me- love the addition of notifications, notes, and reminders. As others have also mentioned, it just feels a little smoother.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Got it running in Parallels Desktop 7 at the mo. Assigned it 2 cores and 4GB ram and it runs fine.

I will wait till it goes GM later this year before upgrading from Lion though.

DagazaGZ

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
I've been using 10.8 for 2 days as my main OS. Everything is backed up to Time Machine so I'm not really worried. I have noticed quite a few bugs, of course I'm not surprised as this is just DP1.

Bug 1. After pausing a video in iTunes you have to close it and reopen the video. If you try to simply resume from pause, the audio continues while the video just freezes.

Bug 2. Can not skip to next video in iTunes as the same audio with no video happens.

Bug 3. Browsing System Preferences for over 1 min without closing and reopening will cause it to crash.

Bug 4. iCal crashes often when in use.

Other than that, I haven't seen anything else other than buttons that you click not always acting right away.

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
I've been using Mountain Lion as my main OS for over a week. The only major issues I've had are related to connecting to my Cinema Display, but even those issues got worked out. Overall, I'm very satisfied and I'm looking forward to future updates. If you're looking for some info on Mountain Lion check out my website.

littlepooch21

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
if i install this does it have the normal updates just like Lion or will I need to reinstall everything once the GM comes out?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.