Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:37 AM   #1
Spaceboy88
macrumors member

How do I install ML on an external drive?

I just downloaded my version of Mountain Lion from the App Store, but am wondering how I can install it on a separate hard drive as I don't want to overwrite my primary OS. Anyone know how I do this?

Thank you
Spaceboy88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:39 AM   #2
miraclehobo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceboy88 View Post
I just downloaded my version of Mountain Lion from the App Store, but am wondering how I can install it on a separate hard drive as I don't want to overwrite my primary OS. Anyone know how I do this?

Thank you
Strange. Seeing as it isn't on the App Store yet

Got it from a torrent?
miraclehobo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:42 AM   #3
Spaceboy88
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraclehobo View Post
Strange. Seeing as it isn't on the App Store yet

Got it from a torrent?
No, it IS in the App Store if you have an Appleseed Beta Tester download code, which I have.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:50 AM   #4
cis4life
macrumors regular

Hi,

I did the same thing yesterday (instead of an external, i just partition a piece of my HD to run ML in. Installed and expanded, ML is about 10 - 11 GB. I partitioned 40GB so I can have some room to play and test).

But all you have to do is once you have your partition made (or external loaded onto your mac). Run the installer, it will ask where you want to install it. (just don't point to your main HD).

After the install, you can reboot your computer, and hold the option key and you will see your various OS instances and you choose the one you want.

Simple actually.
cis4life is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:58 AM   #5
Spaceboy88
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cis4life View Post
Hi,

I did the same thing yesterday (instead of an external, i just partition a piece of my HD to run ML in. Installed and expanded, ML is about 10 - 11 GB. I partitioned 40GB so I can have some room to play and test).

But all you have to do is once you have your partition made (or external loaded onto your mac). Run the installer, it will ask where you want to install it. (just don't point to your main HD).

After the install, you can reboot your computer, and hold the option key and you will see your various OS instances and you choose the one you want.

Simple actually.
Excellent! Thanks.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:13 AM   #6
David085
Banned

How do I get the apple seed download code so I can download ML from the app store so I can do the same install it from my external drive?
David085 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:25 AM   #7
cambookpro
macrumors 68040

What do you guys recommend for the ML partition? I was going to try it with in Parallels or like this, I was thinking 20GB. I don't want to download any apps, just play around with the OS.

Plus, is it easy to delete the partition once ML is actually out?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by David085 View Post
How do I get the apple seed download code so I can download ML from the app store so I can do the same install it from my external drive?
You need to be a part of Apple's OS X Developer programme ($99 p/a)

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion