|Feb 17, 2012, 01:14 PM||#1|
[Guide] Success! Install 10.8 on old unsupported Mac
IN A MIDDLE OF UPDATING THE POST, SOME STUFFS MAY NOT BE ACCURATE.
A Project by @Wayne_819 & @MLForAll
MLPFv0.3 supports the following Macs
-MacMini1,x (C2D upgraded)
-iMac4,x (C2D upgraded)
MLPF v0.3 currently does not support the following Macs.
-MacPro1,1 (Except 7300gt models)
(Support coming in v0.3.1 stay tuned)
For education purpose only. Try at your own risk, always install on a second partition.
- Supported Macs listed above.
- Running 10.7 Lion
- At least 2GB of RAM.
- A copy of Mountain Lion.
- 8GB USB (Optional)
- 1 HDD, 2 Partitions; Name one Install (8GB) & ML (20GB>)
1. OBTAINING A LEGAL COPY OF MOUNTAIN LION. (Skip to 2 if already done)
1.1 Get a copy of Mountain Lion, please purchase the retail version of ML from the Mac App Store (refer Pic 1A).
1.2 ways to obtain it legally.
* Download Parallel Desktop 8 Trial, install Lion via Parallel Desktop. Once completed, buy Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store inside Parallel Desktop and copy it to your Applications folder.
* Get a supported Mac and buy it directly from the App Store, copy it to a thumb drive (8GB or larger) and transfer it back to the unsupported Mac.
Video Tutorial Part One
1. Open Disk Utility, create TWO new partition. Name one "Install" (8GB) and the other "ML" (20GB>)
2. Open MLPostFactorv0.3 and click Continue.
3. Click Continue again, and again.
4. Make sure the drive is pointed to "Install" partition you created earlier and you selected the right version of Mountain Lion you're installing.
5. Just sit and wait, grab yourself a coffee when waiting as this will take about 15 to 20 minutes
6. After MLPF Tool is completed, hold down "Option" and reboot into "Install" partition
7. Install ML on partition named "ML".
8. You will get "Installation Succeeded" at the end of the installation.
9. Go to Utilities, select continue, continue and select MLPostFactor apply it to the partition "ML"
10. Reboot into Mountain Lion
MLPostFactorV0.3 Download Link
(For Macs with GMA950, GMA X3100, X1300, X1600, X1900XT, 7300GT & 7600GT Graphics)
Download Link #1 Direct Link
Download Link #2 Mega Download Recommended!
Like it? Buy us a cup of coffee?
Q&A For MLPostFactor! READ FIRST BEFORE YOU INSTALL
Read the BOLD one twice!
1. USB is optional. (Not required)
2. 4.XXGB Mountain Lion.app is REQUIRED to be in the Applications Folder.
3. Stuck at white screen? Boot into "Install" and repair permissions for ML.
4. Clean install is recommended if you have 10.8/10.8.1 (Or update to 10.8.2 using combo update). If you already have 10.8.2 but don't have QE/CI. Run MLPostFactor, boot into "Install", select Utilities > MLPostFactor
I will not reply to any PMs/tweet for those questions above. Im getting too much (way too much! and non stop email notification sent to my phone ) questions like the ones above!
Its too long to be listed here, im trying to keep it neat & tidy. If you're interested, they can be found at:
The End of the tutorial. Works great? Share & like it Remember, sharing is caring
Last edited by hackerwayne; Sep 7, 2013 at 08:21 AM.
|Feb 17, 2012, 01:32 PM||#2|
Original Posts Deleted. Reason: To add space for MLPostFactor Explanation.
Right, I take the advantage of this empty space to explain how MLPostFactor works.
I will try my best to explain it here.
Before i get very technical, lets do a basic overview of what "Mountain Lion" is.
What is Mountain Lion. What makes it so different comparing to Lion?
Alright, Mountain Lion is the 8th version of OS10. What makes it so different comparing to Lion? Before i get to that, let me explain what "Kexts" is. Kexts is Kernel Extensions in short, it basically like Drivers on Windows. There are 2 versions of kexts. 1 is 32-bit the other is 64-bit. Lion uses mostly 32-bit kexts where as Mountain Lion uses mostly 64-bit kexts.
32-bit kexts vs 64-bit kexts
I took some time to create these 2 charts/pictures.
Picture explains everything.
Basically explains how the kernel works.
Direct Link to view it larger -> http://postimg.org/image/vcdw5zvhz/
Lion versus Mountain Lion versus MLPostFactor.
Direct Link to view it larger ->http://postimg.org/image/tnh0j2qaf/
Obviously, this is a simplified version.. REALLY REALLY simplified for newbies.
You need to understand the above before you understand what im trying to explain next.
So I understand now the "hacked" Mountain Lion on my unsupported Mac is running 32-bit mode. Can i ask what has been replaced? What we're the "hacked" files?
- Umm.. Honestly, i don't know where to start. Talk about extensions/kexts, they are either from 10.7.5 or Mountain Lion DP1. The other things that are replaced/modified are: PlatformSupport.plist, OpenGL.framework, OpenCL.framework, EFI, Mach_Kernel, mDNSResponder etc etc. I will post the full list when I'm free.
Will this work for Hackintosh?
- Frankly speaking, i don't know. Chances are it will, but not without modification. Maybe you should try it with Chameleon from Mountain Lion Developer Preview 1 or Lion.
What exactly is not working currently?
- iSight (low FPS, so deemed not working)
- NumLock LED stays on (NumLock key works, only the LED)
- Disk Utility won't repair permission (Fixed, coming in V0.3)
- Bonjour/Network Sharing does not work. (Fixed, coming in V0.3, in the mean time, a manual fix is available, see Post #1710)
Dock appeared to be transparent?
1. Open Terminal and type
defaults write com.apple.dock hide-mirror -bool yes killall Dock
Last edited by hackerwayne; Apr 11, 2013 at 02:00 PM.
|Feb 17, 2012, 01:43 PM||#3|
What driver are the graphics using? A heretofor unknown 64bit Intel 950 driver? (put "kextstat" into the term)
Unless 64bit drivers are released for the graphics the solution is probably to run ML with a 32bit kernel. Try hold down the "3" and "2" keys during startup.
|Feb 17, 2012, 01:43 PM||#4|
|Feb 17, 2012, 01:49 PM||#5|
I suspect the 950 is just using some fall-back framebuffer driver with no hardware acceleration (hence terrible performance).
Unless you can get a 32bit kernel to boot (to use the 10.7.3 driver) it's probably hopeless (short of someone getting ahold of the driver source and compiling for 64bit). See if the "3" "2" trick works (should if ML is still shipping with a 32bit kernel included)
|Feb 17, 2012, 01:55 PM||#6|
UPDATE: I tried kexts from 10.6.8.. The results, i get full acceleration on extrenal screen. Internal screen remains blank duh~
|Feb 17, 2012, 02:00 PM||#8|
|Feb 17, 2012, 02:12 PM||#10|
Lack of 32 bit kext support is listed as a "known issue"
I can see why Apple would want to remove this support, to force 3rd parties to release 64bit drivers and hence not block the rollout of the 64bit kernel. The problem is that Apple won't do this itself! (how likely are 3rd parties? Expect a lot of your aftermarket hardware to not work with ML ever if this remains)
|Feb 17, 2012, 02:13 PM||#11|
|Feb 17, 2012, 02:30 PM||#15|
Update: manage to get it open, it says Intel without 64.. that means its in 32bit mode See pics..
And it seems to run fine with 1GB of ram.. lmao lol.. haha
Last edited by hackerwayne; Feb 17, 2012 at 02:48 PM.
|Feb 17, 2012, 02:46 PM||#16|
Try "uname -a" in the terminal if that will come up (and if Terminal.app isn't working try ssh'ing into the machine).
edit -- Nevermind you got it open.
Seems then that you do have ML in 32 bit kernel mode: the only problem is for whatever reason 32bit kext loading isn't working (perhaps it was intentionally black-listed?). Don't know where you can take it from here for now, but it's good to know ML can load a 32bit kernel.
|Feb 17, 2012, 02:51 PM||#17|
|Feb 17, 2012, 03:12 PM||#19|
Pics will be up shortly.. =) anyway, should i post the installation method here?
Update: Pics to prove that graphics accelaration works. Launchpad is finally working xD!
Last edited by hackerwayne; Oct 13, 2012 at 03:44 AM.
|Feb 17, 2012, 03:24 PM||#20|
Yes please post the full instructions I'd like to try / I'm sure others would too.
Let's just cross our fingers Apple doesn't pull the 32bit kernel out of ML before it ships. Not sure if there are technical reasons that'd prevent them or not.
|Feb 17, 2012, 04:05 PM||#23|
In essence the Mountain_Lion.dmg could be minimally modded to 1. remove the installer hardware checks (trivial) and 2. to include the missing drivers from Lion, and you should be able to install on a an 'unsupported' system like any other.
If this same technique works for other 'unsupported' systems I'm sure just such a modded installer will find it's way to the nether-regions of the internet to allow all Lion-compatible systems to install ML.
|Feb 17, 2012, 04:10 PM||#24|
|Feb 17, 2012, 04:26 PM||#25|
I assume you need a modified OSInstall.mpkg to get the installer running. That's what people have needed in the past to get OSX on unsupported hardware anyway.
edit -- Check out the guide here: http://osx.mechdrew.com/guides/advanced3.shtml
You might also just try using the Lion OSInstall.mpkg, although if that Macbook has only 1gb of ram you'd need to modify it for that anyway.
Do that, add the Lion kexts and set their permissions, and cross your fingers.
Last edited by stewacide; Feb 17, 2012 at 04:35 PM.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Help! Need to know settings to run L4D on old macbook white||Winhacker95||Mac and PC Games||2||Sep 28, 2013 07:56 PM|
|latest 10.6.8 update on my early 2011 MBP screwed up display port||-=Danimal=-||MacBook Pro||0||Jul 27, 2011 12:37 PM|
|Mac OS X 10.8 Nyan Cat||Vasileios||Wasteland||6||Jul 22, 2011 08:45 AM|
|Need to replace HD on old PPC white Macbook.||duelingdragons||MacBook||7||Aug 27, 2010 10:38 AM|
|8 month old macbook pro NO problems||squeeks||MacBook Pro||8||Feb 17, 2008 06:32 PM|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 PM.