Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 21, 2012, 05:29 AM   #101
freedevil
macrumors 6502a
 
freedevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
I face the same issue, no graphic acceleration on ML. I have a Nvidia Geforce 7300, I tried the 10.7.3 ktexts. I wonder if I should bother with getting them from 10.7. Will that even make a difference?
__________________
An  a day keeps the dark ☁ away!
freedevil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 06:24 AM   #102
Michelasso
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by weckart View Post
I got the 10.7.0 kexts from installing in a VM as all my Macs are at 10.7.3. However, WindowsServer crashes regardless and I can only get the MB to start by removing the kexts.

This is a Macbook 2,1. You can only get the GMA950.kext and the GMA950VADriver.bundle from the 10.7.0 installation media. The final item, the GMA950GLDriver.bundle (typo in the original guide) seems only to be created on actual installation.
Then I am lost. I thought some older kext where loading fine. Has anyone been able to make the GMA 950 HW acceleration working? I did installing this kexts:

http://www.osx86.net/view/2141-gma950_+_lion.html

All of them. I do get the HW acceleration, but most videos and some pictures are blank. Mission Control thumbnails are messed up as well, but that could be ML since I know even supported systems have graphics glitches. Still that isn't a big deal. But the blank videos are. Any idea?
Michelasso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 07:10 AM   #103
Michelasso
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Ok, I've found out. The 10.7.3 kexts DO work:

For Intel GMA GPUs one needs to install the following kexts:

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 18 Giu 2011 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 18 Giu 2011 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 18 Giu 2011 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 18 Giu 2011 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 18 Giu 2011 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

Or the equivalent for the X3100. What was missing in the guide was the Integrated Frame Buffer. That could apply to ATI or NVIDIA GPUs as well.For example for ATI there is the file:

/System/Library/Extensions/ATIFramebuffer.kext

It may need to get replaced, I don't know.

I copied the 5 files straight from my 10.7.3 internal disc after having removed the previous ones in ML and it is using the HW acceleration. The problems with the blank videos still remain and Safari gets banana in full screen mode. Also the is pretty slow showing menus, going into Launchpad etc (Mission Control is fast enough, instead. But glitched), but the HW acceleration does work.

The good news is that old kexts are loadable. The bad news is that they only partially work. If anyone finds better kexts please share the info. Thanks.

Last edited by Michelasso; Feb 21, 2012 at 07:16 AM.
Michelasso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:14 PM   #104
weckart
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Ok, I added the two missing components and now I have accelerated graphics. I cannot believe I forgot about the framebuffer kext. No artefacts, slowdowns or distortions and videos seem to play as per normal. What I don't get is WiFi - the same problem on the same machine I had with 10.7.3. That is easily fixed with a downgrading of the Atheros kext.

Apple removed 32bit Finder from Lion DP2 onwards, so the 32bit kernel probably disappearing in future builds of M Lion would be my guess.
weckart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:47 PM   #105
ciacorp
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Here is an another for installing ML on MacBooks with GMA950 or X3100 (with kexts)!
Looks promising!

http://3rr0rists.net/macintosh/insta...orted-mac.html
ciacorp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 02:42 PM   #106
hackerwayne
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
hackerwayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via MSN to hackerwayne Send a message via Skype™ to hackerwayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
http://www.hackint0sh.org/f180/80288.htm

It's pretty easy to 'force' a kext to load at boot. Try that with the Lion 950 kext.

p.s. good luck, if you get it working it'll probably be worth a headline at all the mac sites
Omgosh, this has really become the headlines at those Mac sites.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelasso View Post
Ok, I've found out. The 10.7.3 kexts DO work:

For Intel GMA GPUs one needs to install the following kexts:

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 18 Giu 2011 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 18 Giu 2011 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 18 Giu 2011 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 18 Giu 2011 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 18 Giu 2011 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

Or the equivalent for the X3100. What was missing in the guide was the Integrated Frame Buffer. That could apply to ATI or NVIDIA GPUs as well.For example for ATI there is the file:

/System/Library/Extensions/ATIFramebuffer.kext

It may need to get replaced, I don't know.

I copied the 5 files straight from my 10.7.3 internal disc after having removed the previous ones in ML and it is using the HW acceleration. The problems with the blank videos still remain and Safari gets banana in full screen mode. Also the is pretty slow showing menus, going into Launchpad etc (Mission Control is fast enough, instead. But glitched), but the HW acceleration does work.

The good news is that old kexts are loadable. The bad news is that they only partially work. If anyone finds better kexts please share the info. Thanks.
Remember to repair permission using disk utility after installting those kexts. I used kext from 10.7.0 and they work perfectly fine
hackerwayne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 04:00 PM   #107
hackerwayne
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
hackerwayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via MSN to hackerwayne Send a message via Skype™ to hackerwayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmacfan View Post
Hi there. I have a late 2007 white macbook, id macbook3,1 with GMA x3100 integrated graphics, and was wondering if anyone has managed to successfully upgrage to ML with GMA x3100, and is it stable. I have the use of a supported mac to give this a shot, but would like to know if it's stable before trying it out.

Thanks
The guide has been modified, it doesnt require a compatible Mac now. Please refer back to post #22 !=)

Last edited by hackerwayne; Feb 21, 2012 at 11:58 PM.
hackerwayne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 04:35 PM   #108
coolio2004
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
I have a Macbook late 2007 and no success. I use the force kextload script, installed the 10.7.3 kext for X3100 with kextwizard, repaired permissions but always cl_kernels error in finder and others.
coolio2004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 04:37 PM   #109
hackerwayne
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
hackerwayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via MSN to hackerwayne Send a message via Skype™ to hackerwayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio2004 View Post
I have a Macbook late 2007 and no success. I use the force kextload script, installed the 10.7.3 kext for X3100 with kextwizard, repaired permissions but always cl_kernels error in finder and others.
Use the new updated guide..
hackerwayne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 05:01 PM   #110
coolio2004
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
which new guide? Thanx so lot.
coolio2004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 05:38 PM   #111
Michelasso
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackerwayne View Post
Remember to repair permission using disk utility after installting those kexts. I used kext from 10.7.0 and they work perfectly fine
I did it the first time (doing another repair permission now with the 10.7.3 kexts installed) but I've always got the blank videos. They showed but without acceleration with no kexts installed. Also the top sites/history in Safari is flashing. Does it work for you? Are you using a MacBook 2,1 with GMA 950?

EDIT: I tried the kexts from Snow Leopard. Same thing. unless something is badly cached (but I also tried removing the system caches directories. They have got rebuilt but no changes) I don't what can be different on my system.

Last edited by Michelasso; Feb 21, 2012 at 07:46 PM.
Michelasso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:57 PM   #112
hackerwayne
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
hackerwayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via MSN to hackerwayne Send a message via Skype™ to hackerwayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio2004 View Post
which new guide? Thanx so lot.
Go back to post #22, you will see the guide has been modified
hackerwayne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:06 AM   #113
paronga
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
so just to clarify:

with a macpro 1,1 if you have a new GFX card, this can be run?

is the kernel in 32-bit mode?

any way to get the 64-bit kernel to run?

is there a chance they'll take the 32-bit kernel out at launch?

i've got a macpro 1,1 that i'm not going to let die!

does it need to be flashed to 2,1?
paronga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:19 AM   #114
hackerwayne
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
hackerwayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via MSN to hackerwayne Send a message via Skype™ to hackerwayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by paronga View Post
so just to clarify:

with a macpro 1,1 if you have a new GFX card, this can be run?

is the kernel in 32-bit mode?

any way to get the 64-bit kernel to run?

is there a chance they'll take the 32-bit kernel out at launch?

i've got a macpro 1,1 that i'm not going to let die!

does it need to be flashed to 2,1?
1. Yes, anything except 7300gt
2. Yes, kernal is running in 32 bit mode, but the OS is 64bit.
3. 64bit kernal is practically useless cuz the OS itself is running in 64bit, its just like a PC with BIOS in 32bit but has no problem running 64bit Windows
4. There isnt really a reason for Apple to do that. No one can guarantee this except Apple, we'll see how it goes in the future dev release.
4. No, it doesnt require it to be flashed to MP2,1 as even MP2,1 does not have 64 bit kernal.

EDIT: Use the new guide post #22, forumers reported having issues with the first guide.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelasso View Post
I did it the first time (doing another repair permission now with the 10.7.3 kexts installed) but I've always got the blank videos. They showed but without acceleration with no kexts installed. Also the top sites/history in Safari is flashing. Does it work for you? Are you using a MacBook 2,1 with GMA 950?

EDIT: I tried the kexts from Snow Leopard. Same thing. unless something is badly cached (but I also tried removing the system caches directories. They have got rebuilt but no changes) I don't what can be different on my system.
Yes, its working for me. What method you use to install those kexts? KextHelper?
hackerwayne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 01:20 AM   #115
freedevil
macrumors 6502a
 
freedevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelasso View Post
Ok, I've found out. The 10.7.3 kexts DO work:

For Intel GMA GPUs one needs to install the following kexts:

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 18 Giu 2011 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 18 Giu 2011 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 18 Giu 2011 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 18 Giu 2011 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 18 Giu 2011 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

Or the equivalent for the X3100. What was missing in the guide was the Integrated Frame Buffer. That could apply to ATI or NVIDIA GPUs as well.For example for ATI there is the file:

/System/Library/Extensions/ATIFramebuffer.kext

It may need to get replaced, I don't know.

I copied the 5 files straight from my 10.7.3 internal disc after having removed the previous ones in ML and it is using the HW acceleration. The problems with the blank videos still remain and Safari gets banana in full screen mode. Also the is pretty slow showing menus, going into Launchpad etc (Mission Control is fast enough, instead. But glitched), but the HW acceleration does work.

The good news is that old kexts are loadable. The bad news is that they only partially work. If anyone finds better kexts please share the info. Thanks.
There is no NVidia buffer. I tried it with the Integratedbuffer but no go. Finder crashes and I can't launch or use it anymore after installing the ktexts. I used ktexthelper.
__________________
An  a day keeps the dark ☁ away!
freedevil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 03:35 AM   #116
macuser2134
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
If only the Kernel remains 32-bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackerwayne View Post
1. Yes, anything except 7300gt
2. Yes, kernal is running in 32 bit mode, but the OS is 64bit.
3. 64bit kernal is practically useless cuz the OS itself is running in 64bit,
I understand what your saying. Then the lower-level libraries would be 64-bit only. Basically everything in /usr/lib ?

Theres a simple way to check with the `lipo` command. 0 means true, 1 means the architecture is absent. Here are the results for Snow Leopard (10.6).

$ man lipo
$ lipo /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib -verify_arch x86_64
$ echo $?
0
$ lipo /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib -verify_arch i386
$ echo $?
0

Note: libSystem.dylib is actually the libc.dylib.

Last edited by macuser2134; Feb 22, 2012 at 03:41 AM.
macuser2134 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:11 AM   #117
Michelasso
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
I went as far as reinstalling ML (over ML). Now even without the HW acceleration (because of no kexts installed) I get the graphical glitches and blank videos? I was pretty sure the videos were working the first time I installed it.

Also I downloaded an mp4 video from youtube, using ClickToFlash. The same video streamed in Safari or played in QuickTime is blank. I just get the audio. But if I quicklook it from Finder it plays fine?! I may trying erasing the installation and reinstalling it again from scratch..

MacBook 2,1, GMA 950.
Michelasso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:42 AM   #118
macuser2134
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Hi Wayne,
The updated guide is very useful. However:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackerwayne View Post

a) Manually copy and install the right kext.
b) Use kexthelper (skip step 12)

Code:
 
MacBook2,1 - AppleIntelGMA950.kext, AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle, AppleIntelGMA950VLDriver.bundle
MacBook3,1 - AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext, AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle, AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext, AppleIntelGMAX3100VLDriver.bundle
MacPro1,1/2,1 - upgrade graphics card to GT210 or HD 5770 No kext required. 7300GT untested!
No mention about copying IntegratedFramebuffer.kext

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackerwayne View Post

5. Now, you need a few files from Lion installer, OSInstall.mpkg, EFI32.pkg and systemfolder
So you modified EFI32.pkg and perhaps the /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi files is also hex-edited. I could not see what you changed inside those files.

However there are some missing Board ids which were not found in your PlatformSupport.plist.

They are for even older CoreDuo -> Core2Duo upgraded Mac, with the GMA950. These Macs are the pretty much exactly the same once the CPU has been upgraded for a Core2Duo. And therefore equall-technically-capable of running Mountain Lion as the white Macbook2,1 for example.

These Board ids which were not found in your System.zip are:

"Mac-F42786C8","Mac-F4208CC8","Mac-F42DBEC8","Mac-F425BEC8","Mac-F4208EC8"

For the following Core Duo models, respectively: "iMac4,1","MacBook1,1","MacBookPro1,2","MacBookPro1,1","MacMini1,1"

Which had the following Graphics: "X1600","GMA-950","X1600","X1600","GMA-950"

Last edited by macuser2134; Feb 22, 2012 at 06:09 AM.
macuser2134 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 07:03 AM   #119
coolio2004
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
ok, with efi 32 and 64 bit driver from 10.6.2 I have hw acceleration with my X3100 on my MB late 2007, but I canīt use smb/afp shares from NAS and my computers and a lot of applications crashes like mail, textedit...
A little progress. Thanx for support.
coolio2004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:00 PM   #120
alan5354
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
I can't find the 2 step.

" Navigate to Shared Support and drag "InstallESD.dmg" to your desktop"

I don't see the Shared Support file.

Last edited by alan5354; Feb 22, 2012 at 10:59 PM.
alan5354 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:42 AM   #121
weckart
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelasso View Post
I went as far as reinstalling ML (over ML). Now even without the HW acceleration (because of no kexts installed) I get the graphical glitches and blank videos? I was pretty sure the videos were working the first time I installed it.

Also I downloaded an mp4 video from youtube, using ClickToFlash. The same video streamed in Safari or played in QuickTime is blank. I just get the audio. But if I quicklook it from Finder it plays fine?! I may trying erasing the installation and reinstalling it again from scratch..

MacBook 2,1, GMA 950.
Don't bother reinstalling. It seems as if Apple has made amendments to Quicktime to force HW acceleration of H.264 based video onto the graphics chip, something that GMA950 is not capable of handling. I also get a blank screen in QT if I try to play a video with it. I use Movist as my standard video player with all decoding done by ffmpeg and that works, albeit with stuttering/slideshows on HD720p and above.

I can normally play HD720p with Lion on this machine without too many problems as long as I don't clog up the cpu with other tasks.

Unless someone finds a way to bypass this, my interest in getting ML to run on this Macbook is going to diminish in double quick time. I don't necessarily blame Apple for making this change, as it seems sensible given developments in gpu development and it makes dropping these older Intel/ATI equipped computers inevitable.
weckart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:55 AM   #122
paronga
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by weckart View Post
Don't bother reinstalling. It seems as if Apple has made amendments to Quicktime to force HW acceleration of H.264 based video onto the graphics chip, something that GMA950 is not capable of handling. I also get a blank screen in QT if I try to play a video with it. I use Movist as my standard video player with all decoding done by ffmpeg and that works, albeit with stuttering/slideshows on HD720p and above.

I can normally play HD720p with Lion on this machine without too many problems as long as I don't clog up the cpu with other tasks.

Unless someone finds a way to bypass this, my interest in getting ML to run on this Macbook is going to diminish in double quick time. I don't necessarily blame Apple for making this change, as it seems sensible given developments in gpu development and it makes dropping these older Intel/ATI equipped computers inevitable.
of course. It's unfortunate that old models are being dropped, but personally i've been wanting GPU accelerated general tasks for a long time.
paronga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:40 AM   #123
Michelasso
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by paronga View Post
of course. It's unfortunate that old models are being dropped, but personally i've been wanting GPU accelerated general tasks for a long time.
Why? Apple devs aren't able to implement a simple

if GPU HW acceleration is available
then use it
else emulate/drop the HW acceleration

?

We know our GPUs suck but until now they perfectly suited the job they were made for. Which is run the GUI and show some videos or pictures. To play games I have a much better PS3 with its exclusive games (for either PS3 or console generally speaking).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackerwayne View Post
Yes, its working for me. What method you use to install those kexts? KextHelper?
When you say it is working fine what do you mean? That non flash videos are playing fine? Do you get the MC previews glitched as well? What about VLC? Does it crash?

Anyway I used both kext helper and the manual copy from terminal:

sudo cp -pr <kext> <destination>

And as I wrote already even without kexts the videos are blank (I am not sure anymore if they ever played, then). But since playing with ML booted from an USB disk corrupted my internal disc Lion installation (it kept hanging. So much that I had to reinstall Lion) I'd like to have some clear direction before to put my hands on it again.
Michelasso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:17 AM   #124
coolio2004
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Is there any possibility to run a 64 bit kernel to avoid the crashes of many native programms. Terminal tells me i386 that means 32 bit. I used command arch=x86_64in com.apple.Boot.plist but no success. For what is the efi32?
Note: kextcache -k command no longer exists in ML. What to do to rebuild cache? Thanx.
coolio2004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:12 AM   #125
weckart
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio2004 View Post
Is there any possibility to run a 64 bit kernel to avoid the crashes of many native programms. Terminal tells me i386 that means 32 bit. I used command arch=x86_64in com.apple.Boot.plist but no success. For what is the efi32?
Note: kextcache -k command no longer exists in ML. What to do to rebuild cache? Thanx.
No there is not. There are no 64 bit kexts for the GMA X3100 and I believe the 2007 Macbooks all had 32 bit EFIs, so could not boot a 64 bit kernel, anyway.
weckart is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[Guide] Fix iMessage/Facetime on unsupported Macs running ML tylersheppeard OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 1 Sep 14, 2014 04:46 AM
new guide for installing mountain lion gm on unsupported macs dead.xx OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 158 Sep 9, 2014 02:50 PM
Best guide for 10.8.4 on unsupported machines. krisosha OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 1 Aug 24, 2013 12:50 PM
Docking station unsupported after ios 6.1.3 install? 09sroyal iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Apr 13, 2013 03:15 PM
Guide: Install Leopard on unsupported Macs njs84nnsh74 PowerPC Macs 2 Aug 18, 2012 10:23 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC