Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Yes or no? What is your opinion?

I find that if I have the % in the top bar I obsess over how much is left. So after a week with the phone I turned it off. We'll see if I worry about battery as much now.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I used to always have it on but I realised that I obsessed over it a lot too so I turned it off for a few weeks and liked not checking the percentage every time I grab my phone. Not sure why or when but now I'm back to having the percentage :p

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I only use to see what I'm at when I'm under 20%. While I'm aware it's red at that point, there's times I need to know how much I have left.

EDIT*

I only find myself turning it back on when it hits 20% and when it's charging.

I'm not the only one.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I like mine on. I don;t obsess over it because there is almost nothing you can do. People think it's stuff running in the background, but it is very few and far between that an app is truly running in the background (basically this is limited to GPS and music apps essentially by design). Then again, I am not finding that my battery life is any worse than it was on my iPhone 4. The percentage is handy to me because if I used the phone heavily, am not able to charge, and I know I will need to use it again for something important later that day before charging, I can make a quick mental estimate whether I can keep using as heavily I am or if I should taper off a bit to make sure I have the juice I will need for later.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
When I used to keep it on, I would obsess and worry about the battery life and how much was left. One I turned it off, I no longer seem to care about the battery until I get a low battery warning. This system works better for me and now the battery percentage is off on all my devices.

Also, TWO2SEVEN: I added a vote to your poll since I seemed to have forgotten when I actually commented in your thread.

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
I keep the % on my iPhone as well as my MBA, always have. Doesn't bother me at all and I do not obsess about it, lol.

zombiemom

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2012
Once I turned it on I truly obsessed over how much was left. And how quickly I was losing it. But when I turned it off and the battery was red, I noticed I obsessed over how close I was to ZILCH. I find that I like it ON better because then I can see that I'm only at 15% and not necessarily at 2%. After a couple of months I stopped obsessing over how fast I was losing battery and only worried when I got down really low. :rolleyes:

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Maybe after a couple months I won't obsess. But right now I care way too much about how much is left.

But when I turn it off I find that I am less obsessed with how fast it's draining (because I can't see that) and MORE obsessed with how much is left. Cuz the battery icon doesn't do a great job

Dessureault

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
Shawinigan QC
I only use to see what I'm at when I'm under 20%. While I'm aware it's red at that point, there's times I need to know how much I have left.

EDIT*

I'm not the only one.

same thing here! I'm always tempted to charge it when I see the numbers going down a bit so I keep it off until I reach 20%

barredfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2012
Same as everyone else. I used to have it on and realized I was obsessed with it, because the first thing I would look at whenever I received a notification was the percentage. Too obsessive.

So I turned it off. Works better for me.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I keep my percentage on but I don't obsess/worry/freakout about it. Only use about 30% on an average day so I know I have plenty of juice.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
When I used to keep it on, I would obsess and worry about the battery life and how much was left. One I turned it off, I no longer seem to care about the battery until I get a low battery warning. This system works better for me and now the battery percentage is off on all my devices.

Also, TWO2SEVEN: I added a vote to your poll since I seemed to have forgotten when I actually commented in your thread.

I'm the same way. Had it on for a day and it drive me crazy haha.

Thanks for voting :)

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I usually have mine on and I don't obsess over it. For me it's just an indicator where my battery is during the day.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
This is how i resolved my battery issue.

I turned off the % sign and now just enjoy using my iPhone as it was meant to be.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
This is how i resolved my battery issue.

I turned off the % sign and now just enjoy using my iPhone as it was meant to be.

This is what I've found to be best. I tried having the % on but I would get wrapped up in how much power I was using and stop playing games and watching YouTube. As they say, ignorance is bliss :)

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
Yes or no? What is your opinion?

I find that if I have the % in the top bar I obsess over how much is left. So after a week with the phone I turned it off. We'll see if I worry about battery as much now.

It's useful for me, particularly with my iPad (as I don't charge it daily, like my phone)

It allows me to see more accurately what I've got left...50% and 70% don't look all that different on a small screen

Especially since I'm jailbroken (on my iPhone), and occasionally a rogue process will suck battery down immensely. I can see this happening more easily with % turned on

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Yeah I charge my phone daily and am obsessive about battery life. So it's not necessary to have it on. It actually makes it so I don't like using my phone. Cuz I don't like watching the % tick away

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I glance at it, but I know it would last all day, so I don't really pay that much attention to it unless I have been using the phone ALL day.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Battery %

Do you like your battery % turned on or off? I find that if I have it turned on I obsess over how much is left and how fast it's dying. So I turned it off and don't worry about it anymore. I posted this a while ago but thought I'd ask again for the new converts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.