Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Constantine1337

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
Hello,

I will be visiting the US in about a month and I will be staying there for about 3 weeks. Since I plan to visit 4 cities it would be great if I had a data plan with my iPhone 4S (unlocked) for google maps and some smaller stuff. I am not familiar with any of the US plans but I'd be grateful for some recommendations. As far as I can tell so far AT&T has the fastest network and the best coverage (despite the fact that their network took the most heat about a year ago).

Can anyone recommend any data plan prepaid SIM cards I could use while in the US? Affordability would also be a important factor (given the fact that I'm a student).

Thanks in advance and I'm looking foreword to visit the US.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Tmobile pre-paid or ATT prepaid are going to be the easiest to come by. Just og into any large retailer we have here (Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy) and they should be able to sell you prepaid cards.

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
Thanks for this. Do you know after how much MB do they throttle the speed?

I'm from Germany - and the plans seem very expensive, since I will need internet often to check directions and other stuff. :)

They will ship to Germany and Red Pocket works great on the iPhone. (You get 2GB although they let you continue on after that from personal experience)

vietalogy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
Thanks for this. Do you know after how much MB do they throttle the speed?

I'm from Germany - and the plans seem very expensive, since I will need internet often to check directions and other stuff. :)

I do not know I've only read about it and I personally only have postpaid at&t.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.