Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LGN

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
Arstotzka
I'm about to install the ML DP onto my Mac, but I want it as a separate partition.

How would I go about doing this? As a recall, I think Disk Utility erases the drive when partitioning. Do I need to use Bootcamp? Or some third party utility like GParted?

Once I get the Partition, I think I an get ML onto the partition (with the whole bootable USB thingy)

Nov 28, 2010
located
You can use Disk Utility.

Links to guides on how to use Disk Utility, the application Mac OS X provides for managing internal and external HDD/SSDs and its formats.

Joe HS

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
United Kingdom
How would I go about doing this?

1. Partition the drive in Disk Utility (this will not erase the disk provided the new partition is smaller than the free space available). At least 15GB is necessary, more being preferable with no upper limit if like myself you will use the DP as your primary OS.
2. Open the DMG file, then from the mounted image launch the OS X Installer
3. Follow the steps as prompted. Remember to select "Macintosh HD 2" after selecting 'show all disks' when the option becomes available.

BFW122083

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2009
Atl
I just did this an hour ago :). I like it so far. If I restore from a time machine back up will it put everything just like I have it on Lion? I really like the integration with iOS and would like to use it as my primary OS, but im too nervous lol!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.