Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unknown00

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
using lion 10.7.3

i think finder SUCKS - here are a couple things i was wondering if finder could do, or if there is an alternative

1. is it possible to have "list" and "column" together? for example, i like how in "list" they have columns for all types of file info such as date, size, kind, etc etc. in "column" all that is displayed is the name

2. in "column", can you do 2 different "arrange by"? for example, if i choose arrange by name, both the folders and content of the folders are sorted by name. i would like the folder to be arranged by date and content files within folder to be arranged by name

BanterClaus

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

As both a Mac and Windows user I much prefer Finder. Explorer just feels so cluttered and over complicated.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
doesn't help at all, actually read some of those links before i made this post
You may want to read them again, as your 2nd question about 2 criteria for arranging is directly answered there:
finder-view-options-188-251858.jpg

unknown00

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
You may want to read them again, as your 2nd question about 2 criteria for arranging is directly answered there:
don't know what that image is suppose to show...it doesn't help with anything. if i'm in column view it will only let me arrange by 1 way, i'm trying to do 2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.