Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
How does Apple.Com deal with shipping to an alternate shipping address (ie: Your credit card is billed to one address and you want to ship to another - a business for example).

Many companies will not do that, or delay shipping for an extra long time to manually verify, or require you to have the alternate address listed on your credit card. Some companies (like Amazon.Com) simply don't care.

What have anyones ACTUAL experiences been?

KandyKane

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Australia
I do this all the time, I get everything sent to work especially as the couriers that handle Apple in Australia are rubbish, it's more of a hassle to get it sent to my house.
No delay in ordering or anything

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
I do this all the time, I get everything sent to work especially as the couriers that handle Apple in Australia are rubbish, it's more of a hassle to get it sent to my house.
No delay in ordering or anything

Thank you KK! Thing is, most Aussies are nice people but this is the US of A! :D

Has anyone from the USA had a similar experience with Apple?

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I did that with my MacBook Pro back in high school. My card had a limit on it, so I needed to use my mom's card to order (which had a PO box billing address), but we had it sent to my house. I can't remember exactly how we did it, but it worked (sorry if that's not too helpful lol).

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Call the credit card company. Tell them what is going on and they can give you a good answer.

Some credit cards will decline approval if the retailer does not ship to the billing address. I am lucky and my billing address is my office and were I would want it delivered.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
Call the credit card company. Tell them what is going on and they can give you a good answer.

Some credit cards will decline approval if the retailer does not ship to the billing address. I am lucky and my billing address is my office and were I would want it delivered.

Some sellers just won't ship to an alternate billing address no matter what the bank says without going through a delaying time consuming hassle.

It's not whether the CC company will auth the transaction or not but the fact is that most CC NON-SWIPE (ie: online) transactions authorization is based on the card number (of course), the ZIP code and/or street NUMBER so it would probably fail.

Anyway, I "chatted" with Apple sales earlier today (I don't fully take their word) but they said they will only ship to the billing address. However the answer is simple. Just change the account address of the credit card, easily done online, then change it back after order is placed and authorized. Duhhhh!

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
What have anyones ACTUAL experiences been?
The below:

Some companies (like Amazon.Com) simply don't care.

It's not whether the CC company will auth the transaction
No, it's both. Some card companies will not authorize shipments to an alternate address that isn't on file. Some vendors won't ship to an alternate address that is not on file. I do not have my work address on file and my card companies do not care. Additionally, Apple is not the limiting factor in the context of your question.

Anyway, I "chatted" with Apple sales earlier today (I don't fully take their word) but they said they will only ship to the billing address.
Try checking out (just don't finalize the order). If Apple only shipped to the billing address then they wouldn't let you specify a separate shipping address.

Always consider the source and corroborate.

the fact is that most CC NON-SWIPE (ie: online) transactions authorization is based on the card number (of course), the ZIP code and/or street NUMBER so it would probably fail.
...and some rely on the security code and other security features (such as Secure Code, etc) to verify. Broad generalizations obviously don't apply in all cases.

Last edited:

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
The below:
No, it's both. Some card companies will not authorize shipments to an alternate address that isn't on file. Some vendors won't ship to an alternate address that is not on file. I do not have my work address on file and my card companies do not care. Additionally, Apple is not the limiting factor in the context of your question.

Try checking out (just don't finalize the order). If Apple only shipped to the billing address then they wouldn't let you specify a separate shipping address.

Always consider the source and corroborate.

...and some rely on the security code and other security features (such as Secure Code, etc) to verify. Broad generalizations obviously don't apply in all cases.

OK, so what's the answer to my question regarding APPLE.COM specifically? Will they or will they not ship to an alternate address? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.