Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSuperSteve

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2011
Puerto Rico
I got an extra 8GB iPod touch and I'm not sure its worth the trouble to sell it so I'm trying to see what I can use it for. I got both an iPhone and an iPad.

Those of you who have iPhones or even Android phones, What do you use your iPod touch for? I won't make this a poll. Its just a thread, so drop your opinion. I'll read all of em. Heck, maybe even suggestions on how to sell it that isn't a huge hassle.

SteelWheel

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2008
Personally, I'm a little bit fussy--I have quite a few iDevices and Mrs. SteelWheel has several as well. My iPhone and iPad have zero music on them. For music, I use an ancient 1st Gen Touch and a current Nano. I have an iPod Classic, modded with a third party 320GB drive--that one is reserved for podcasts. As you can see, I'm a big fan of local storage, and prefer to have most or all of my content ready at hand, rather than being in the cloud or even as inaccessible as my own local machine's iTunes library.

Truthfully, for me the iPad is a device which I nearly always have with me, so an argument could be made that I don't really "need" an iPhone as well--but I've become so accustomed to having an iPhone that I don't really want to downgrade to some "free with a two-year contract" type phone

Fresh Tendrils

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
I have two 32GB iPod touches [I don't have an iPhone yet, will prob get the next one]. One of them I use as my gaming iPod, and the second one I leave permanently plugged into a set of speakers in the kitchen. I also have a few of my multiplayer games installed on both [street fighter, sonic racer... ] so that if my brother, or a friend drop by for a beer we can play each other. In a couple of months when [hopefully] they release the appleTV3, I'll also use the 2nd iPod as a remote.

There are a lot of things you can do with an old iPod. I don't really think its worth the effort of trying to sell. Also if you have any kids or nephews/nieces its a good way to keep them quiet without having to worry about them breaking your iPhone.

Invincibilizer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Android phone with Ice Cream Sandwich, used as a calling device and a camera.

iPod touch used to play games and music.

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
The iPod touch and the iPhone serve the same purpose. Now that I have an iPhone, I miss the thinness of the iPod touch and the fact that the headphone jack was in a better place.. But I just had to get the iPhone because of the way it looks.

You could easily sell it on Craigslist. It's a hot item.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
I've been dying to ask this question also. I understand if you don't have an iPhone of why to get an itouch but not iPhone and itouch.

I have iPhone and iPad so I just can't imagine a use for an itouch.

BreadedVirus

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en_GB) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The Touch is a great PDA device.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
I'm also wondering what to do with mine. It's an old 2nd generation and I have no idea what to use it for. For now I've just been using mine around the house for browsing the web while watching TV to save the battery on my iPhone. This summer when I start biking again, I'll most likely be taking it along with me on my bike rides.

Invincibilizer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Having both iPhone and iPod touch doesn't make sense.

That's why I have an iPod touch for the app store but use an incredible Android phone mainly because its OS is more intricate and conveys a better experience.

xhArRiSoNxD

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Massachusetts
Well I don't actually do this yet but was planning on using my iPod touch for music in my car. Just leave it in the glove box and update it using wifi. I guess one reason why I havent done it yet is because its on iOS 4 and have yet to update it.

I guess you can use it as an expensive storage device too.

jeans94621

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
I use my iPod for watching movies and tv shows connected to the tv. I know I can use my phone for that but most times right in the middle of a viewing the phone rings or a text message comes through. I know I can turn on airplane mode but I do want my calls and messages. I also listen to music around the house and out this saves battery life for my iPhone. I use both a lot and I also have an iPad and they all have their purpose.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
Judging just from the answers on here so far, the itouch is really not needed at all. It seems just like those who can afford to just buy an extra iPhone or something,buy this. But if you can do that I'd rather have an extra iPad lying around.

bobbyjames

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2012
Lowestoft, UK
I have a 32gb Iphone and a 64gb iPod Touch. The iPod has nothing but music on it, while the iPhone has a small number of albums on it along with all the various apps/games I have/use. I mainly use the iPod for use around the house (plugging into docks/stereos) and for travelling. Because of the size of my iPhone, I couldn't fit all my music on it so I kept hold of my iPod when I got the iPhone.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Personally I purchased the iPod touch because my daughter was always on my iPhone! Now when I'm at work we use them for FaceTime and iMessage quite a lot. Plus for two player games they are great. Other than that controlling the apple Tv as the standard remote is next to useless.

CoolKen86

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
I use my 1st Gen iPod touch for music and my iPhone 4 for the apps. I use my iPod touch mostly when i drive since i can connect it using an AUX cable and i leave it in the car most of the time...

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I don't have the iPod Touch, but a 30GB Classic. I use the Classic in my truck hooked up to the Alpine stereo.

I have been thinking of getting one though, so that way I can sync it over iCloud without having to bring it inside to do it. I park right close to the area where my WiFi is and can pick it up in the parking lot.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
I thought I'd still use my iPod Touch 3rd Generation after getting an iPhone 4, but that was an unrealistic dream. It was sold not even three months later as I had no use for it other then to sit on my 'stereo' dock all day doing nothing.

DanBurns91

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
West Midlands, England
I own both an iPhone 4s and an iPod touch 4th gen, buying the iPod AFTER i had my phone. The reason behind this is i use my phone for work (fitness instructor) all my music, class playlists and even fitness apps all on my my phone, as my phone is ALWAYS on me, my iPod is used for personal music for any journeys, i find this way a lot more beneficial at home too, as my music plays through speaks i can text or do whatever else on my phone without running back to it every 2 minutes

TheSuperSteve

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2011
Puerto Rico
Thank's for the replies so far.

Now I can understand using an iPod classic. It has no apps and stuff. Nothing but a huge hard drive for tons of media. That's definitely useful. No need to mess around with apps or whatever. Just drop your media and go. Especially if you have the 160GB version. You would store all your videos, shows, music, audiobooks and podcasts on it and still have room to spare (Unless you have massive libraries).

But my iPod touch just sits on its box right now. Before getting my iPhone 4S, I used it along side a dumb phone for that classic combo. I use my iPad for taking notes in my university and for games as well.

Now I can also see the use for having an iPod nano for us Smartphone + Tablet owners. You could use it as an extremely geeky watch. It would work as a powerful female repellant (unless they happen to be geeky or otherwise cool with these things. Which is a good idea now that I think about it. Attract only the good ones. :p). Plug in one of those bluetooth adapters and go for a run. With all your music on the nano.

I use my iPod shuffle at the gym since its tiny and not too expensive. Its expendable. Unlike your expensive iPhone. I'd rather use my shuffle at the gym for this reason. Accidents can happen and I'd rather have my shuffle crushed under a barbell than my iPhone.

But yeah, an iPod touch and an iPhone serve the same purpose. Just one is a phone and the other is not. Keep the replies coming.

BreadedVirus

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en_GB) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm thinking the iPod Touch is becoming obsolete. Time for Apple to bring in a smaller iPad?

thegreati

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2012
I guess you could use your phone for all your apps/etc and the itouch for music/videos.
I only have a phone and find that to be more than enough.. but more power to ya and your extra space :)

Timoke6

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2012
Mordor.
A friend of mine uses his iPhone for music and his iPod touch purely for games.
But you could put your music on the iPod and put it on a dock, atleast that's what i would do:)

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I use my classic iPod as a backup to my music. iPod Touch for gaming and listening to music. iPhone for business stuff and a few games.

Having more than one iPod comes in handy. The last hurricane/tornado that came through left my neighborhood without power for a week. I could charge everything at work, then listen all night or watch a few movies before everything dies. Also for travel purposes. I would save my iPhone battery and just use the iPod touch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.