Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:38 PM   #1
sk1wbw
In Time-Out

Beginner's guide to making an iOS app?

So is there a good way for a beginner to start learning how to do this? What's a good book to read up on programming?

I'm interested in learning how to do this if anyone can point me in the right direction.
sk1wbw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:42 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Start Developing iOS Apps Today
Old Feb 18, 2012, 02:06 PM   #3
lewis82
macrumors 68000

Don't be fooled in thinking you can start doing apps in short amount of time. Learning programming can be easy to some, but incredibly hard to others. Start slowly with an easy language such as Python, then move up to C and then Obj-C. Starting immediately with a complicated language is bad as you are fighting against the language while you are still learning the basics of conditional statements, loops and such other programming techniques. Once you are familiar with them, you can move to the "real deal".

With that said, don't be discouraged. You can pick up Python in a matter of weeks, and learning the basics of C is even faster since you only have to learn the new syntax and a few notions. The move to Obj-C will feel pretty natural at that point. (Well, I guess... I don't know Obj-C but I'm learning C++ which is a similar language, and it's not particularly harder - some things are even much easier in C++ than in C.)
Old Feb 18, 2012, 05:55 PM   #4
somology
macrumors newbie

I'm new to iOS programming and I purchased 2 books that helped me get up to speed. I can now read through Apple Developer Documentation and learn to create basic apps.

The 2 books are Kochan's Programming in Objective-C 4th Edition and Big Nerd Ranch Objective-C Book. Both do not assume any prior knowledge of programming. Both books have adequate online forums to ask questions.

I worked through the books and CodeAcademy.com for basic programming fundamentals.

I am moving on to the next Big Nerd Ranch Book on iOS programming which does require one of the above books first. I also like Sadun's iOS 5 Developer's Cookbook which also recommends the same books and path.
somology is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming