Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SKATE4LIFE

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
Hi, i have had a mac for like 2 years, and i know plenty of technology, but:

Recently i am very interested on high internet work, and not using wifi because some mb are lost and with cable it would go better no?
so how does it work?:
- do i need telephone thing to connect the cable?, if it's yes i don't have one near, i think there is some things that you connect to the electricity and it¡s an adaptor and has a telephone hole for you can connect you mac with wire no?

that's all, i am interested and would like to know where to buy those adaptors.

THANKS.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
If you get cable internet, the cable company will give you a cable modem. You'll need some sort of router to create a wifi connection. (The ethernet cable will go from the cable modem to the router) and then the iMac will be able to connect via wifi with no ethernet cable going to it.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
If you live in the US you do not just go out and "buy" a cable modem; you'll need to sign up for a service plan and have the cable company come out and connect you.

This is also true if you live somewhere else :)

Just call your cable provider and ask whether they offer cable internet.

-y0-

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2011
You need to first check if cable internet is available in your area. Then you either need to rent a cable modem or buy one. You can have the internet provider install it for you or do it yourself to save money. All you need to get is a cable modem, coaxial cable, ethernet cable, and a router if you ever plan going wireless or run 2 or more machines through the same modem like a PS3, 360, TiVo, etc.

You have to find where the cable jack is and run the cables like below.

cable jack=>coaxial cable=>cable modem=>ethernet cable=>iMac

After you install all of this, you got to call your provider to activate and get the internet going.

Hope this helped.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
FWIW, I have cable internet and I love it! I switched from internet from the phone company (CenturyLink) to Comcast internet. I love it! Speeds went from averaging around 2mbps down and .5mbps up (even though I was paying for 7mbps down) to 12mbps down and 4mbps up when I switched (now I'm paying for 10mbps down). I'm never going back.

SKATE4LIFE

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
Wow thanks for the answers, many things i did not know.

I think i did not explain my self well
So:
I have internet modem ad use wifi but i would like cable internet.
PROBLEM: i dont have the modem near its like 10m far and 2 rooms in diagonal... (IMPOSSIBLE)
Also i dont have in my room any telephone conectors or things, only 2 normal plugs.

So: can i have cable internet? I heard there was special adaptors you plug to the electricity and make an eternet port? Can that be true (or something similar? Where can i buy?)

Thanks in advance!

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
You can get something called a powerline adapter, i dont know if that call it that in the USA, they call that in the UK. Where you plug the adapter in one end of the house in a power socket, and then the other adapter in the room where your computer is. So therefore its like you have got the ethernet cable plugged in to one adapter in one room, then then, plug the cable/wire from your computer into the powerline adapter in your room.

Then the set up is etablished :) Hope that made sense.

Wow thanks for the answers, many things i did not know.

I think i did not explain my self well
So:
I have internet modem ad use wifi but i would like cable internet.
PROBLEM: i dont have the modem near its like 10m far and 2 rooms in diagonal... (IMPOSSIBLE)
Also i dont have in my room any telephone conectors or things, only 2 normal plugs.

So: can i have cable internet? I heard there was special adaptors you plug to the electricity and make an eternet port? Can that be true (or something similar? Where can i buy?)

Thanks in advance!

SKATE4LIFE

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
You can get something called a powerline adapter, i dont know if that call it that in the USA, they call that in the UK. Where you plug the adapter in one end of the house in a power socket, and then the other adapter in the room where your computer is. So therefore its like you have got the ethernet cable plugged in to one adapter in one room, then then, plug the cable/wire from your computer into the powerline adapter in your room.

Then the set up is etablished :) Hope that made sense.

Totaly, that is what i wanted, THANKS

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's called a homeplug! Belkin netgear etc etc make them.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I have Verizon Fios, using the router/modem they supplied. Admittedly not the greatest modem in the world - you can buy a much better one. but for my purposes, it's fine.

With their router/modem, you can go wireless or with ethernet cable connection. Wireless, you only get about 20 down, 18 up. With ethernet connection, you get about 43 down, 33 up.

Interestingly, I have a Time Capsule, and with the TC you get the 43 down/ 33 up WIRELESS.

ivoloos

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
FWIW, I have cable internet and I love it! I switched from internet from the phone company (CenturyLink) to Comcast internet. I love it! Speeds went from averaging around 2mbps down and .5mbps up (even though I was paying for 7mbps down) to 12mbps down and 4mbps up when I switched (now I'm paying for 10mbps down). I'm never going back.

Agreed. I went from (a maximum of) 1.5mbps down and 768kbps up with AT&T, to 12/2 with Comcast. I am actually getting speeds of 20/4 with PowerBoost!

SKATE4LIFE

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
Last question:
Do you think it's worth spending 40bucks for a 10mb conection, well wifi 5mb, what you say?

paduck

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
Last question:
Do you think it's worth spending 40bucks for a 10mb conection, well wifi 5mb, what you say?

I think that's a fine price. Well, perhaps it should be cheaper, but that is close to the going rate. I get 20mbps for $47.

Don't worry about wiring your connection. Just go with wifi. The speed bottleneck isn't going to be wifi, but the cable Internet connection. Then you don't have to worry about wires. Wiring is good if you are moving data within the house, but generally speaking, ot a benefit on the Internet connection.

SKATE4LIFE

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
Yes sorry. I wanted to say 30 bucks.

So another point those 10mb i'll have is there a point on spending 30-50$ on a homeplug ethernet adaptor o you think just for losing some mb there is no sense on spending money on the adaptor? Or nevermind ethernet is awsome? (i dont know i am aksing. Tired of wifi)

jwm2

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2012
Actually with comcast you can rent a cable modem from them or just buy one yourself. I found the modems they provided were not very good so i found the list of compatible modems and bought the best one for under $100. But to not pay $7-10/mo in rental fees means the modem i bought has already paid for itself. Plus if i want to upgrade to 50mb-100mb i can, as this modem will handle it.

paduck

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
Yes sorry. I wanted to say 30 bucks.

So another point those 10mb i'll have is there a point on spending 30-50$ on a homeplug ethernet adaptor o you think just for losing some mb there is no sense on spending money on the adaptor? Or nevermind ethernet is awsome? (i dont know i am aksing. Tired of wifi)

I wouldn't spend the money on an adapter if your oly use is Internet. You won't see a speed gain. You Internet is 20Mbps. The 802.11g wireless is 54. Even at less than 50% it is still faster than your Internet connection. If you have an 802.11n connection, then the flexibility is even more. If you are just connecting to the Internet, then you'll see no benefit. The only benefit to hardwired is if you are moving data around locally or have VERY bandwidth intensive applications and the connection to match. The other benefit isthat someone can't latch onto your connection, but if you encrypt (and you should), in the real world, it shouldn't be a problem. Why are you tired of wifi?

If you get a home plug adapter, you still have to get two and I'm sure your router will still have wifi. Seems a waste.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
The only reason why you'd want to go wired over wireless is if you want to decrease your ping and increase your reliability. You would really only notice these things if you're a hardcore online gamer, so I'm guessing you should be fine with wireless.

jwm2

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2012
Ethernet is just more reliable and instantly connects. So when you wake your pc up from sleep it doesn't need to get a new ip address and verify the password. Imo its worth the hassle to run ethernet cable, but thats up to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.