Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:30 PM   #1
Celelorien
macrumors newbie

Help needed - MacBook won't start up.

Alright. Last night, I shut my computer down as usual. Today, when I tried to boot it up, it went to the grey screen with the Apple logo and the spinning gear. After a minute or so, it went black and (I suppose) tried to boot again, because it replayed the startup noise and went back to the Apple and spinning gear.

I reset the NVRAM, which didn't help. (I know it reset because the speakers came back louder, ahaa...)

When I tried to boot after that, it would do the grey screen for a moment, then shut off completely. Attempting to boot into Safe Mode resulted in same - grey logo screen + gear for a minute, then total shut down.

Next, I booted from my Leopard install disk to try to run Disk Utility. At first it wouldn't let me click Repair Disk - only Verify Disk. When I tried to run Verify Disk it would cut out with an error for "Invalid node structure".

I fiddled around for a bit while still booted from the install disk, just trying to gather additional information, and quite unexpectedly the Repair Disk button showed as available in the Disk Utility after a while. So I tried clicking that, and it made a valiant attempt, but then errored out again - this time with "Invalid Volume File Count" error.

So I shut it down and booted from the root disk into single-user mode. When I tried to run a fsck, here is what it displays:
Quote:
** Root file system
** Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
** Checking Extents Overflow file.
** Checking Catalog file.
disk0s2: I/O error.
disk0s2: I/O error.
Invalid node structure
(4, 9287)
** Volume check failed.
/dev/rdisk0s2 (hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8
What does this mean, and is there any hope at all of fixing my computer without completely destroying all my files? I've heard good things about DiskWarrior, but it's $100 and if there's any other way to save it or force it to fix itself, I would love to know! Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Running on OS X 10.5.8 Leopard at the time. (I'm pretty sure it was 10.5.8 - I know it was 10.5.somethiiiing...)
Celelorien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:04 AM   #2
ibuyufo
macrumors regular

I'm fairly certain that means your hard drive is toast.
ibuyufo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:16 AM   #3
Celelorien
macrumors newbie

Sorrow! Any chance I might be able to slave it to another Mac to attempt file recovery? Or is it probably extra-crispy toast? o__o;;
Celelorien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:19 AM   #4
tug
macrumors 6502

it sounds like its definitely dead

good news, new HDD's are really quite reasonably priced right now

why not use this time to see if you would benefit from more ram.

you could turn this round to your benefit, and end up with a better machine than you had before.

shame about your files though, if you decide to spend some money, you could look into a new ext HDD too.

best of luck with it though.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook