Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CentralFC

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Hi all.

Real quick question regarding my dock: I was messing around with this app, and I tried out a space within my dock. I'm not a fan of it, so could anyone lead me to getting it off of there and back to the original dock? I used this LeopardDock application.

Thanks!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Real quick question regarding my dock: I was messing around with this app, and I tried out a space within my dock. I'm not a fan of it, so could anyone lead me to getting it off of there and back to the original dock? I used this LeopardDock application.
Yet another one of many threads posted over the years with problems after "customizing" the Dock, Menu Bar or other user interface elements. These apps many times cause more problems than they solve.

Try deleting your /Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist file,
then in Terminal type: killall Dock

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks for the response. Where can I delete that file?
I just gave you the path. If you don't know how to use Finder and don't know how to follow filepaths, the last thing you should be doing is messing with your default Dock settings.

CentralFC

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Starting over: I don't know how to do what you told me to do. Sorry for the confusion.

CentralFC

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Basic? So everyone knows how to follow file paths and type in commands to your Terminal (which, by the way, I just did)?

Maybe you need to reeducate yourself with regards to some basic etiquette. You're unbelievable.

Oh, and your incredible answer didn't work. Thanks!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Basic? So everyone knows how to follow file paths and type in commands to your Terminal (which, by the way, I just did)?
Yes, I would say most Mac users know how to use Finder to locate files, even if they're unfamiliar with Terminal.
Maybe you need to reeducate yourself with regards to some basic etiquette. You're unbelievable.
There was nothing inappropriate about my response. I attempted to help you. When you appeared not to understand my simple instructions, I offered an alternative solution, better suited to a more novice level. If you took offense to that, that's your problem. There are thousands of threads posted in this forum by people who are new to Macs or new to computers. There is no way for me to know in advance what someone's knowledge level is. Some basic etiquette would involve not criticizing someone who takes the time to offer assistance when you ask for it.
How do you know it doesn't work, if you don't know where to delete the file?

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010

ok this might be your solution:
instructions:
http://leoparddocks.com/change-dock-mac

original dock files [that you were supposed to back up :)]
http://leoparddocks.com/get-your-original-dock-back

here are the instructions from the site:

1. Go to Macintosh HD > /System/Library/Core Services/
  2. Right-Click on Dock and select Show Package Contents
  3. Go to /Contents/Resources/
  4. Backup the files you are about to replace (Incase you did not listen, here they are) [[[*** In this case it would be the dock you have already, i don't think you need to back them up, but don't take my word :D**]]
  5. Move those same original files to the trash
  6. Move the files you downloaded to that folder [the 2nd link / original dock files]
  7. Open Terminal (a program that you find it in your Applications folder) and type: killall Dock
  8. View your nice new dock.

hmm now that i think about it, GGJ's solution should definitely work :)
hope that helps!

CentralFC

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Thanks Shyam for the help. It's much appreciated. Rather than belittling me, you got to the point.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks Shyam for the help. It's much appreciated. Rather than belittling me, you got to the point.
I didn't belittle you. I gave you clear instructions, which you claimed not to understand. I suggested something simpler, along with an explanation of my reasoning. Your attitude doesn't exactly entice people to want to help you. I help thousands of people in this forum, without getting such an ungrateful response as yours. You're on your own. :rolleyes:

CentralFC

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I didn't belittle you. I gave you clear instructions, which you claimed not to understand. I suggested something simpler, along with an explanation of my reasoning. Your attitude doesn't exactly entice people to want to help you. I help thousands of people in this forum, without getting such an ungrateful response as yours. You're on your own. :rolleyes:

I got it all fixed but thanks for the support! You should probably reconsider helping others with an asinine mindset like that.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
sure thing, glad i could be of some help!

i do have to say GGJ is extremely helpful, he is usually the first to post on various threads requesting help and he has these awesome GGJ mac guides that he always gives out that give a wealth of info :)

from my time being on MR, GGJ solves a huge chunk of people's problems, and the chain goes on, someone digs up a thread, etc...

But in my honest opinion, GGJ makes MacRumors one of the greatest forum experiences!
:) :) :) :) :)

phyrexia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
I got it all fixed but thanks for the support! You should probably reconsider helping others with an asinine mindset like that.

You are the one who appears childish here. This coming from someone whose own feathers have been mildly ruffled by GGJ.

ibis99

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2010
Yet another one of many threads posted over the years with problems after "customizing" the Dock, Menu Bar or other user interface elements. These apps many times cause more problems than they solve.

Try deleting your /Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist file,
then in Terminal type: killall Dock

Thats ridiculous. It's user error and NOT the software.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thats ridiculous. It's user error and NOT the software.
Whether through manual means or via an app, the point is that "customizing" the Dock and other GUI elements has been the source of problems for many, as reported in numerous threads in this forum over the years.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Starting over: I don't know how to do what you told me to do. Sorry for the confusion.

It sounds like you lack some very basic understanding about how to use your Mac. Perhaps a trip to your local Apple store is in order. They can show you how to do the most basic things with your Mac. There are also online resources to help get you started:

Helpful Information for Any Mac User

Powned!

A bit harsh though, at this point the OP has already admitted defeat.

I would be surprised if in the Apple store they actually would explain how the Unix filesystem is organized, and how to access the invisible Library folder. The Apple store solution might well be "reinstall the OS."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.