Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eternalvictor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
After quite a few weeks of deciding whether or not to wait for the new iMac's to be released I have finally taken the plunge and ordered an iMac as my 2006 iMac is now getting far too slow for me. One question I would like to know is that I have Photoshop and Microsoft Office 2004 installed on my current iMac and, due to getting the iMac nearly 5 years ago I do not have the installation CD's anymore.

Is there anyway to transfer the installations of Office and Photoshop to my external hard driver, and then when the new iMac gets here on Friday to transfer the programmes over to the new iMac?

If this is not possible then I can possibly get Office from a friend to install but Photoshop would be harder to get. I have looked at Adobe Elements and would just like to know if this would offer the basic functions of Adobe Photoshop I need, mainly to have the Lasso function to remove backgrounds, as I don't really fancy paying hundreds of pounds for the full Adobe Photoshop when it's already installed on my current iMac.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I presume you don't have the latest Photoshop then. Do you still have your license key? If so, you could probably just buy a Photoshop upgrade. And actually if you have your key, Adobe might be able to help you get a copy of your software for a small fee if you don't need to upgrade Photoshop for Lion.

You could try checking Adobe's website to see what features Elements has.

eternalvictor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
well i have given carbon clone copy a go and have it cloning the hard drive at the moment. hopefully all will go smoothly on friday and i will be able to keep photoshop on the new iMac without having to go out and buy a new version. thanks for the info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.