Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeb2u

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2010
Does ML store local copies of Documents in the Clud (iWork docs)? As a former MobileMe customer, I don't trust Apple to maintain the only copy of a document on its servers. Also, if copies of the docs are stored locally, are these local copies backed up by Time Machine? Thanks.

notrack

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
As far as I know you can store them either on your HD or in iCloud. To Sync them you'll have to store them in the respective iWork App. Then there is a copy on your HD and on the cloud server. I don't think iCloud will sync Finder stuff because there is no Finder on iPad.
Well, and TM backs up everything on your HD. I don't know anything about TM making Backups of iCloud.

Chris Grande

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Your iCloud documents are currently stored locally at ~/Library/Mobile Documents. Time Machine does backup/version this folder. However the current implementation of the iWork apps don't read restored iCloud documents correctly without a little kicking to get the files to appear. Other iCloud enabled apps seem to have no trouble with Time Machine restored files.

Apple really needs to implement Versions/Backup of iCloud documents and data and make it easy for users to access.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.