Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
just wondering if anyone thought there might be room for a new mid line product.

you have the mac pro with its 12 core craziness that like hooks up to satellites or the mac mini which is basically a multimedia server.

I dont know it would be nice to have an in between desktop that had some expansion but not quite a 2000 dollar machine.

i know there isnt a chance in hell. i can dream though

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
This is one of the positive aspects of a PC, even a low end PC is expandable in it's chassis. Apple sells the iMac as a midrange machine, but the only time it's really upgradable is when you're ordering it.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
...I dont know it would be nice to have an in between desktop that had some expansion but not quite a 2000 dollar machine.
While it's not under $2,000. There is the Quad Core for $2,499.

But yes, there is a need for a lower end expandable Mac.

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
imac -> Consumer
Mac pro -> Professionals

Apples desktop strategy is pretty clear. A "prosumer" machine would detract from imac and mac pro sales. Its never going to happen. There is no reason for the single CPU Mac pro to be so expensive though other than vast profit margins.

Noctilux.95

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
LA
A year ago I bought a new 2009 (4,1) Quad Core 2.66 from a store on Amazon for $1750.
Added an OWC 240GB SS ($360), Radeon 5770 video card ($235), 16GB ($125) memory from OWC.

My total for a kick ass Mac Pro that easily converts 40MP files from my Hasselblad H4D 40 for less than $2,500.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
just wondering if anyone thought there might be room for a new mid line product.

you have the mac pro with its 12 core craziness that like hooks up to satellites or the mac mini which is basically a multimedia server.

I dont know it would be nice to have an in between desktop that had some expansion but not quite a 2000 dollar machine.

i know there isnt a chance in hell. i can dream though

Apple already makes a mid-range Mac Pro... the entry-level Quad-core. You just don't like the price :p What you really want is a more affordable Mac Pro. As you said, we can dare to dream :)

yomibro

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
I am fine with the current case but it would be nice if the current slide out tray had two options, one would fit Xeon processor(s) while the other a Core i7 and let the buyer choose which one they want.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
I am fine with the current case but it would be nice if the current slide out tray had two options, one would fit Xeon processor(s) while the other a Core i7 and let the buyer choose which one they want.

You can use Core i7s in the single processor daughter board already.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
This is one of the positive aspects of a PC, even a low end PC is expandable in it's chassis. Apple sells the iMac as a midrange machine, but the only time it's really upgradable is when you're ordering it.

this is less true as of 2011 t-bolt does allow for monster speed and size in your drives if you spring for a promise pegasus unit. I have a pegasus r6 purchased before the flood. 1320 for a 6 bay unit and 6 1tb drives. pulled out a drive and slapped in a big ssd. I now have all the speed and storage I need. So for ssd or hdd the imac is easy to upgrade . the imac can also use 32gb ram.

still stuck with the stock gpu.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
still stuck with the stock gpu.

And the "throw away" monitor when it comes time to upgrade.

Yes we all want a "mini-Mac Pro". One with some expandability, and upgradability without a built in monitor and faster processors. Probably won't happen though.....

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007

Check out the price difference between Xeons and i7s.

It's nothing. (or $80 out of $999 if your buying the E5-1660/i7-3960X)

Your essentially asking for a Mac Pro with the same processors as the iMac is fitted with.

I don't see the point, personally.

I'd still buy the Mac Pro :confused:

G4er?

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Temple, TX
I wish there was a mid range something from Apple that didn't have a built in screen. It is exactly what I am looking for as my next Mac.
Will it happen? Of course not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.