Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 19, 2012, 01:39 PM   #1
ChrisTX
macrumors 68030
 
ChrisTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas
Help transferring music from iPod Touch to new Mac.

So I have a friend who's old pc recently crashed on him, which prompted him to upgrade to a Mac. Well as a result he is unable to transfer his music library from the old pc to the Mac, however he still has his music on his iPod touch. However when he attempts to sync his music with the Mac, he says that he is only able to sync his iTunes purchased music, but that in error he says his other music is deemed "Unauthorized" and he can't transfer it from his iPod Touch to the Mac. Any suggestions here? I've never had this problem, and was able to transfer my entire music library from old MacBook Pro to my new one without any problems. Are there any decent iTunes alternatives out there that might help him get his music from the iPod Touch to the Mac? Thanks for the help.
__________________
Thanks Steve for all of the awesome technology!
Proud owner of an early 2011 15" MacBook Pro, First gen 15" MacBook Pro, iPad 3, Apple TV, Prototype iPhone 6+, and numerous iPods.
ChrisTX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:57 PM   #2
madrich
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: World Class City of Chicago
Try wideanglesoftware touchcopy
madrich is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 04:47 PM   #3
ChrisTX
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
ChrisTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrich View Post
Try wideanglesoftware touchcopy
Thanks I believe we got it.
__________________
Thanks Steve for all of the awesome technology!
Proud owner of an early 2011 15" MacBook Pro, First gen 15" MacBook Pro, iPad 3, Apple TV, Prototype iPhone 6+, and numerous iPods.
ChrisTX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:04 AM   #4
Inopia-Vi
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lost in space
Easier, open itunes, check the manualy manage music. Sync but don't check the sync music or anything else. You should be able to retrie the music with a copy-paste.

If not working, try senuti. It it free for under 1000 song. The full lience is 20$
__________________
MBP 15' 2.2GHZ i7 2011 Radeon 6750M 16GB RAM & Vertex 3 SSD
iPhone 4S 16GB
Inopia-Vi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 05:27 AM   #5
wimdows
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Thumbs down

It is outrageous that Apple does not seem to cater for these common scenarios (new computer, existing iOS device - old computer, new iOS device) in an easy and intuitive fashion.

It would be a doddle for Apple to make this intuitive. Currently, it's a pain in the back side and the end user experience suffers.

We shouldn't have to buy third-party tools to get this done.
wimdows is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 07:41 AM   #6
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimdows View Post
It is outrageous that Apple does not seem to cater for these common scenarios (new computer, existing iOS device - old computer, new iOS device) in an easy and intuitive fashion.

It would be a doddle for Apple to make this intuitive. Currently, it's a pain in the back side and the end user experience suffers.

We shouldn't have to buy third-party tools to get this done.
You can transfer apps from an iOS device with no problem. People bring this question up all the time, and it really is a user fault. iPods are not designed for you to just load the music up and then delete it from your hard drive. It has NEVER worked like that. Why? Because it's just the agreement that Apple has made to save their behinds. There are millions and millions and millions of iPods out there. It's not some device you can hook up to your friends computer and share your downloads with, it's a personal device meant for one person, and files meant for that one person.

The only reason why you can manage your music manually is just for the sake of not destroying your library every time you want to charge it on another computer. Or, in the case of you having multiple machines with multiple collections.

Your computer crashed? Well, sorry, that's just life. It's always been stated in the iTunes agreement that we NEED to do our own backups.

I have used PhoneView for many years now. It has never done me wrong and handles music too. I don't use it for that though, but was just pointing it out. A great investment it was.
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 01:53 PM   #7
Consultant
macrumors G5
 
Consultant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
If you bought your music through iTunes, Apple makes it easy to download the music again.

If you bought your music on CDs, you can re-rip them.

If you don't backup your computer, you will probably lose something more valuable than music. It's only a pain if you stole the music and have no backup.



Quote:
Originally Posted by wimdows View Post
It is outrageous that Apple does not seem to cater for these common scenarios (new computer, existing iOS device - old computer, new iOS device) in an easy and intuitive fashion.

It would be a doddle for Apple to make this intuitive. Currently, it's a pain in the back side and the end user experience suffers.

We shouldn't have to buy third-party tools to get this done.
Consultant is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 04:57 PM   #8
boneskid1
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
If you don't backup your computer, you will probably lose something more valuable than music. It's only a pain if you stole the music and have no backup.
I will state against this, there is a fair chance that the music on the ipod could have came from someone elses collection it does not always mean that it is "stolen" for example my dad has old cd's that i ripped for my use and now that disc has decent crack in it and so do a few others. making it quite impossible to get the music from other sources except the ipod i had it on.

if your option does not work try to find a download for an app called "IpodDisk" with no quotes you will also need the program called "macFuze" to use the above app. i am not sure what gen ipods this works with since i used it with a first gen nano to avoid using itunes, ipodDisk is also a mac specific app i am not sure as far as windows go i know that if the ipod is formatted with a windows version of itunes that you can turn on file sharing and show hidden files. your music will appear but it will have encrypted names.


if you do in fact get the music off. make sure to make a full back up of that music so you are covered in the future if your ipod or music device goes to whack.
__________________
PPC: Powerbook g4, 1.67ghz hr, 240gb ssd, 2gb DDR2; Powermac G5, 2.0ghz DC, 10gb, 500gb
boneskid1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 05:08 AM   #9
wackymacky
macrumors 65816
 
wackymacky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: sent to 17.019528,-25.06721 for the next 6 weeks for my sins
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneskid1 View Post
I will state against this, there is a fair chance that the music on the ipod could have came from someone elses collection it does not always mean that it is "stolen" for example my dad has old cd's that i ripped for my use and now that disc has decent crack in it and so do a few others. making it quite impossible to get the music from other sources except the ipod i had it on.

if your option does not work try to find a download for an app called "IpodDisk" with no quotes you will also need the program called "macFuze" to use the above app. i am not sure what gen ipods this works with since i used it with a first gen nano to avoid using itunes, ipodDisk is also a mac specific app i am not sure as far as windows go i know that if the ipod is formatted with a windows version of itunes that you can turn on file sharing and show hidden files. your music will appear but it will have encrypted names.


if you do in fact get the music off. make sure to make a full back up of that music so you are covered in the future if your ipod or music device goes to whack.

Umm, if you're ripping your fathers CD's that he bought on to your computer then by definition your stealing. (I'm not criticizing you by any means, just point out a fact
__________________
"Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn't matter to me. Going to bed at night saying we've done something wonderful, that's what matters to me. " (S. Jobs)
wackymacky is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 08:11 AM   #10
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020
 
APlotdevice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
If you don't backup your computer, you will probably lose something more valuable than music. It's only a pain if you stole the music and have no backup.
I get most of my music from Amazon. Now I don't know if this has changed with the introduction of their cloud service, but traditionally Amazon MP3 purchases are not tracked. Meaning you must back up yourself. Same is true for a lot of legitimate music sites.

Also consider that if a title is pulled from the Apple store, as does occasionally happen, then you can no longer redownloaded it from iTunes.
__________________
There is something deeply wrong with a society more offended by breasts than by entrails.
Pebble SmartWatch | iPhone 5c | 11" Macbook Air '13 | HTPC | TV | Numerous Old Consoles
APlotdevice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 03:36 PM   #11
boneskid1
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymacky View Post
Umm, if you're ripping your fathers CD's that he bought on to your computer then by definition your stealing. (I'm not criticizing you by any means, just point out a fact
not really. at all. seeing as how it is shared in the house it really is not stealing as, as far as the disc itself is concerned, we already own it.
__________________
PPC: Powerbook g4, 1.67ghz hr, 240gb ssd, 2gb DDR2; Powermac G5, 2.0ghz DC, 10gb, 500gb
boneskid1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 01:39 PM   #12
tdhurst
macrumors 68040
 
tdhurst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Uhhh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneskid1 View Post
I will state against this, there is a fair chance that the music on the ipod could have came from someone elses collection it does not always mean that it is "stolen" for example my dad has old cd's that i ripped for my use and now that disc has decent crack in it and so do a few others. making it quite impossible to get the music from other sources except the ipod i had it on.

if your option does not work try to find a download for an app called "IpodDisk" with no quotes you will also need the program called "macFuze" to use the above app. i am not sure what gen ipods this works with since i used it with a first gen nano to avoid using itunes, ipodDisk is also a mac specific app i am not sure as far as windows go i know that if the ipod is formatted with a windows version of itunes that you can turn on file sharing and show hidden files. your music will appear but it will have encrypted names.


if you do in fact get the music off. make sure to make a full back up of that music so you are covered in the future if your ipod or music device goes to whack.
In this case, stolen and unauthorized user are the same. Your dad paid for those songs, you did not.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneskid1 View Post
not really. at all. seeing as how it is shared in the house it really is not stealing as, as far as the disc itself is concerned, we already own it.
Who paid for it? Did you split the cost of the CD?
__________________
Twitter - tdhurst
I blog here.
2013 13" rMBP i5, 2.4 c2d Mac Mini, iPhone 5, Apple TV 3.
tdhurst is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 03:18 PM   #13
preyan
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Thumbs up

One thing I'm in favour of is NOT stealing music! That's what I always liked about Apple and iTunes. iPods are not plug and play devices that will work seamlessly with Internet explorer, like a hard drive for example.

If you ask me, is the saving grace to some extent for the ailing, failing and robbed music industry. The fact that you can't just share your iPod music has saved a lot of labels and artists money.

That's my rant
preyan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 04:31 PM   #14
itjw
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Pretty much already stated, but THEFT is the reason why it's so hard to do.

And sorry, but ripping a song from a CD that doesn't direclty belong to YOU (read that carefully please, it doesn't matter if you're relatives, living under the same roof, clones (well, maybe clones...)) it is STILL stealing. It might only be theft in it's most ridiculous sense, but it still IS. Once you leave the house with the iPod, and dad is still at home with his CD, you would have a hard time making an argument in court that you somehow still "owned" the song (even if it would never happen).

If you could simply plug in an iPod, dump the music to anyone's library, and rinse and repeat, it would be called Napplester
itjw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 08:02 PM   #15
macs4nw
macrumors 68020
 
macs4nw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On Safari…..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTX View Post
So I have a friend who's old pc recently crashed on him, which prompted him to upgrade to a Mac. Well as a result he is unable to transfer his music library from the old pc to the Mac, however he still has his music on his iPod touch. However when he attempts to sync his music with the Mac, he says that he is only able to sync his iTunes purchased music, but that in error he says his other music is deemed "Unauthorized" and he can't transfer it from his iPod Touch to the Mac. Any suggestions here? I've never had this problem, and was able to transfer my entire music library from old MacBook Pro to my new one without any problems. Are there any decent iTunes alternatives out there that might help him get his music from the iPod Touch to the Mac? Thanks for the help.
I know it's water under the bridge now, but this can't be shouted out often and loud enough:

Back up all your important and hard to replace stuff regularly, and then back up those back-ups!!!

When you say "his old pc crashed", do you mean the hard drive also died?
Data recovery experts can do amazing things, even with damaged HDs.
__________________
Due to my aversion to bragging and clichés, no words of wisdom to be found on this line.....
macs4nw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 08:24 PM   #16
ChrisTX
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
ChrisTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
I know it's water under the bridge now, but this can't be shouted out often and loud enough:

Back up all your important and hard to replace stuff regularly, and then back up those back-ups!!!

When you say "his old pc crashed", do you mean the hard drive also died?
Data recovery experts can do amazing things, even with damaged HDs.
Haha, I don't even remember who I was trying to help here. But whomever it was, I believe we got it fixed. Great idea to always back up though!
__________________
Thanks Steve for all of the awesome technology!
Proud owner of an early 2011 15" MacBook Pro, First gen 15" MacBook Pro, iPad 3, Apple TV, Prototype iPhone 6+, and numerous iPods.
ChrisTX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:31 PM   #17
macs4nw
macrumors 68020
 
macs4nw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On Safari…..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTX View Post
Haha, I don't even remember who I was trying to help here. But whomever it was, I believe we got it fixed. Great idea to always back up though!
My bad. I didn't look at the original post date, I see what you mean now. It was a recently resurrected thread.....
__________________
Due to my aversion to bragging and clichés, no words of wisdom to be found on this line.....
macs4nw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:43 PM   #18
ChrisTX
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
ChrisTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
My bad. I didn't look at the original post date, I see what you mean now. It was a recently resurrected thread.....
Haha no worries, and it just came to me who this thread was about, and on that note we definitely got things going. Thanks for the reply though!
__________________
Thanks Steve for all of the awesome technology!
Proud owner of an early 2011 15" MacBook Pro, First gen 15" MacBook Pro, iPad 3, Apple TV, Prototype iPhone 6+, and numerous iPods.
ChrisTX is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air Music - Streaming Music from PC to iPhone iPad and iPod touch Zen Red iPad Apps 11 Mar 21, 2014 04:01 AM
Resolved: Transferring Music from iPhone to Mac JordanSimps iOS 7 7 Aug 24, 2013 02:01 PM
Air Music - Streaming Music from PC to iPhone iPad and iPod touch Zen Red iPhone and iPod touch Apps 3 Apr 3, 2013 01:53 AM
iPod Touch file transferring issue iTrojan iPod 0 Aug 12, 2012 01:43 AM
Transferring music from iPod to iPhone EricPickup iPhone 4 May 31, 2012 08:48 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC