Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Seeing how they sanctioned importing oil from Iran, this is just semantics.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I'm sure we will very soon...even though we kind of get ripped off on fuel already. I think my last full tank cost about £90 :eek:

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Considering GB and France get less than ~3% of their oil from Iran, and the Saudis have promised to make up for any loss of supply, I doubt prices will spike.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Seeing how they sanctioned importing oil from Iran, this is just semantics.

It wasn't going to start to July 1, but...

Considering GB and France get less than ~3% of their oil from Iran, and the Saudis have promised to make up for any loss of supply, I doubt prices will spike.

Exactly. The only EU members that are reliant on Iranian oil are Greece, Italy, and Spain. I see the NYT article is lacking that note about GB and France's actual usage, but the BBC article published much earlier in the day included it. Who would've thought the NYT would be lacking in information? :rolleyes:

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Oil and petrol are priced on an international market and are completely fungible so supply and demand is based on a worldwide rather than local basis for the most part. Furthermore, the price of the actual product is only a small part of the final price in both the UK and France. Taxes are the bulk.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Propaganda machine has been gearing up against Iran for years now. Nearly everyone in the West will be full of fear of warmongering Iran who're intent to destroy us all.

Think we've sucked enough of it in that military action v Iran will be widely accepted, necessary or not.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I think we need to be more concerned about a war down there with Israel first-strike some HV targets ... That will push the gas price plus many other risks

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Propaganda machine has been gearing up against Iran for years now. Nearly everyone in the West will be full of fear of warmongering Iran who're intent to destroy us all.

Think we've sucked enough of it in that military action v Iran will be widely accepted, necessary or not.

But hey, they might have nukes. Maybe not as powerful or sophisticated as the nukes UK, France (...USA, Russia, China, Israel?) have, but maybe like the nukes they went after in Iraq and couldn't find..

Still, when it comes to wars it's better to be safe than sorry. Bomb bomb bomb Iran..

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
But hey, they might have nukes. Maybe not as powerful or sophisticated as the nukes UK, France (...USA, Russia, China, Israel?) have, but maybe like the nukes they went after in Iraq and couldn't find..

Still, when it comes to wars it's better to be safe than sorry. Bomb bomb bomb Iran..

Bombing Iraq can easily lead to Russia and China getting involved... and lead to a wider war.

Those who are for bombing Iran forget about the consequences of such action. Additionally, Iran isn't going to be the push over that Iraq was.

I very much fear for the future should any military action be taken.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Bombing Iraq can easily lead to Russia and China getting involved... and lead to a wider war.

Those who are for bombing Iran forget about the consequences of such action. Additionally, Iran isn't going to be the push over that Iraq was.

I very much fear for the future should any military action be taken.

It would set a rather scary precedent, wouldn't it. "If we think you have nukes, we can and will attack you". Ignoring that most of the nations clamouring for action also are nuclear nations.

On the plus side, instead of having two war zones in Iraq and Afghanistan, why not start a war too with Iran in the middle? Having one big warzone is better than two little ones, right? ;)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Yeah, its sad to see the war drums beating again. Israel may not wait for a Republican POTUS and start on its own or we may be headed to some protracted cold war. Either way, many innocents will die.

I think we need to be more concerned about a war down there with Israel first-strike some HV targets ... That will push the gas price plus many other risks

If Israel is rash enough to escalate the situation to a direct military confrontation, I hope the US isn't stupid enough to continue to try and shield them from the political consequences. So far our protection of them seems limitless, at some point a line must be drawn or the current administration will seriously damage its credibility with many foreign allies.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
NYT Link looks at the possibility of an Israeli raid:

Should Israel decide to launch a strike on Iran, its pilots would have to fly more than 1,000 miles across unfriendly airspace, refuel in the air en route, fight off Iran’s air defenses, attack multiple underground sites simultaneously — and use at least 100 planes.
“All the pundits who talk about ‘Oh, yeah, bomb Iran,’ it ain’t going to be that easy,” said Lt. Gen. David A. Deptula, who retired last year as the Air Force’s top intelligence official.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.