Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quehoofa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
Excuse me if this is common knowledge!
I want stream movies from my imac to my HD Sony Bravia TV. The imac is upstairs, the TV downstairs.
Have tried the cabling method, just a complete faff!
Have looked at the Apple TV option, but amongst all the ad stuff, can't work out whether it will actually stream anything I want, or just stuff purchased through itunes.
I want to be able to completely mirror whatever I'm showing on my imac to the tv - including sound - and to get the movies from any website I choose.

Will it do this?
Thanks.

Eves apple

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2011
Sounds like a piracy related question but..

If its in iTunes (however you get it) it will stream.

quehoofa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
Thanks for the replies guys. It isn't piracy I'm after. I'm trying to think ahead. If Apple Tv will only stream content bought through itunes, there may be a new big film streamer who don't actually get along with Apple. I have other needs too - for instance, I want to be able to use the TV as a projector for any content I can get over the internet - like random educational websites. Unless I'm mistaken, it looks like I can only stream content bought through itunes. I've looked into other wireless transmitters, and so far it looks like the Awind Mctivia Mac to TV Desktop Streamer may be the best option. Anyone know anything about this?
Thanks.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Thanks for the replies guys. It isn't piracy I'm after. I'm trying to think ahead. If Apple Tv will only stream content bought through itunes, there may be a new big film streamer who don't actually get along with Apple. I have other needs too - for instance, I want to be able to use the TV as a projector for any content I can get over the internet - like random educational websites. Unless I'm mistaken, it looks like I can only stream content bought through itunes. I've looked into other wireless transmitters, and so far it looks like the Awind Mctivia Mac to TV Desktop Streamer may be the best option. Anyone know anything about this?
Thanks.

AppleTV will stream any H.264 video, whether bought through iTunes or not.

Regardless, as I mentioned, desktop mirroring is coming in Mountain Lion in the summer.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
AppleTV2 streams everything you can put in iTunes.
That includes Movies not bought from the store.

Correct, I think my statement was misconstrued. IF it's in itunes it can be streamed (hence "itunes content") If not in iTunes, ie: a shared drive it will require that the ATV be jailbroken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.