Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarsonGallo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
Oakdale, New York
We were able to do a work around to get Front Row to work again in OS X Lion. See Thread - Mac OS X Lion - Front Row now I was wondering if we could be able to do the same thing for OS X Mountain Lion.

Now the Front Row icon carried over from OS X Lion, but when I click it, nothing happens, and same thing with keyboard shortcut Command-Escape, nothing happens. Same thing when we originally updated to OS X Lion. So does anyone have any ideas on how to get it to work now?

20120219-bqn25a5c6n4hd91nda27ekpb2d.jpg

mrboult

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
London, England
Ha. I've been with Lion since launch and hadn't even realised Front Row had gone!

Shows how much I used it I guess. But seems a shame to have gone. Do newer Macs still come with IR sensor and remote? I have a feeling they're gone now I think about it?

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
I don't think the Front Row "hack" for Lion even works with the latest version(s) of iTunes? I'm still pretty annoyed about the removal of it as I'd hoped to upgrade my Mac Mini's to get Airdrop support, but one of them is hooked up to my TV so Front Row is great. I did occasionally use it on my Mac Pro too but not enough to lament its loss from that.

I suppose with the Mac Mini I can still update to Lion but I'll have to figure out how to force the older version of iTunes back onto it, anyone know which is the latest version that works with Front Row?

Still, I'm disappointed that Mountain Lion isn't bringing it back; while I can understand that it competes a bit with the Apple TV, it doesn't make sense to eliminate it from Mac Minis when they ship with an HDMI port that makes them great as a media centre PC.

CarsonGallo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
Oakdale, New York
I don't think the Front Row "hack" for Lion even works with the latest version(s) of iTunes? I'm still pretty annoyed about the removal of it as I'd hoped to upgrade my Mac Mini's to get Airdrop support, but one of them is hooked up to my TV so Front Row is great. I did occasionally use it on my Mac Pro too but not enough to lament its loss from that.

I suppose with the Mac Mini I can still update to Lion but I'll have to figure out how to force the older version of iTunes back onto it, anyone know which is the latest version that works with Front Row?

Still, I'm disappointed that Mountain Lion isn't bringing it back; while I can understand that it competes a bit with the Apple TV, it doesn't make sense to eliminate it from Mac Minis when they ship with an HDMI port that makes them great as a media centre PC.

I remember accidentally doing the keyboard shortcut a couple of weeks before I updated to Mountain Lion, and I had the latest version of Lion & iTunes and everything and it still worked. So its just Mountain Lion in which the hack doesn't work on anymore.

And your acting like theres no other Apps. Theres 5 other great Mac Apps that make up for FrontRow. We got XBMC, Plex, Boxee, QVIVO, & Hulu Desktop. We'll always have those.

But we should still should keep trying to figure out how to get Apple's Version to work. Never Give Up, Never Surrender.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
I remember accidentally doing the keyboard shortcut a couple of weeks before I updated to Mountain Lion, and I had the latest version of Lion & iTunes and everything and it still worked.
Did everything work, would it still pull up movies? I remember something about a change to the iTunes library format, and I think Front Row just reads the iTunes library… I dunno, I'll check on my own machine if I remember.

And your acting like theres no other Apps. Theres 5 other great Mac Apps that make up for FrontRow. We got XBMC, Plex, Boxee, QVIVO, & Hulu Desktop. We'll always have those.
I know, but I don't like any of them ;)
Well, it's more just that Front Row just does what I need it to, it's the right blend of simple and elegant. Sure it has some faults but they're minor, in my use-case anyway.

What galls me most is that there's not really any good reason to drop it; they should have just merged code with the Apple TV in order to allow Mac Minis to function like an Apple TV+; it's not like it would have been that hard as it's all the same API's these days.

CarsonGallo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
Oakdale, New York
It would be Hard

Did everything work, would it still pull up movies? I remember something about a change to the iTunes library format, and I think Front Row just reads the iTunes library… I dunno, I'll check on my own machine if I remember.

I know, but I don't like any of them ;)
Well, it's more just that Front Row just does what I need it to, it's the right blend of simple and elegant. Sure it has some faults but they're minor, in my use-case anyway.

What galls me most is that there's not really any good reason to drop it; they should have just merged code with the Apple TV in order to allow Mac Minis to function like an Apple TV+; it's not like it would have been that hard as it's all the same API's these days.

Actually it would be a little difficult cause the new Apple TV OS is completely different from the previous Apple TV OS. In fact if you don't know, its running iOS. But maybe they removed FrontRow because they are planning on bringing an Apple TV 2 App to Mac, after all there bringing a lot of features from iOS to Mac. Apple TV might be one of them. I think we'll get a better idea if and when Apple announces The iTV.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Actually it would be a little difficult cause the new Apple TV OS is completely different from the previous Apple TV OS. In fact if you don't know, its running iOS. But maybe they removed FrontRow because they are planning on bringing an Apple TV 2 App to Mac, after all there bringing a lot of features from iOS to Mac. Apple TV might be one of them. I think we'll get a better idea if and when Apple announces The iTV.
That was my point; with the newer Apple TV's using iOS then the codebase is essentially the same (iOS and OS X have mostly the same libraries, just compiled onto different hardware, the code is largely interchangeable), which is only going to become even more so the case once Mountain Lion is out.

But it's the fact that Apple discontinued it even though Mac Minis have built in HDMI ports that practically scream "this can be used as a media centre PC"; all it would have taken would be either a relatively straightforward port from the iOS Apple TV platform to OS X, or for them to keep including Front Row but with any necessary minor patches to keep it working.

As it is the apple remote only seems to be of use for iTunes, which is clunky compared to Front Row. Most of the Front Row alternatives do, or can, work with the remote, but none of them are as well integrated as Front Row was; despite its various small failings it "just worked" after all :)

CarsonGallo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
Oakdale, New York
That was my point; with the newer Apple TV's using iOS then the codebase is essentially the same (iOS and OS X have mostly the same libraries, just compiled onto different hardware, the code is largely interchangeable), which is only going to become even more so the case once Mountain Lion is out.

But it's the fact that Apple discontinued it even though Mac Minis have built in HDMI ports that practically scream "this can be used as a media centre PC"; all it would have taken would be either a relatively straightforward port from the iOS Apple TV platform to OS X, or for them to keep including Front Row but with any necessary minor patches to keep it working.

As it is the apple remote only seems to be of use for iTunes, which is clunky compared to Front Row. Most of the Front Row alternatives do, or can, work with the remote, but none of them are as well integrated as Front Row was; despite its various small failings it "just worked" after all :)

There probably working on the port, or already have a port ready, but waiting for the right timing. Plus another reason for getting rid of FrontRow, so people buying Mac Minis to use as Media Centers would buy Apple TV's instead. After all the software is still a Hobby so its like there just doing the Beta for Apple TV's and when there ready to go full forward with it, they'll release it on additional devices.

But its not ready yet, they still have to add a lot of features first. One of which Steve Jobs actually confirmed about 18 months ago in an email, replying to that yes iTunes Extras would be coming to iOS. Whether he mean Apple TV 2G's only, or other iOS Devices that include iPad's, iTouch's, and iPhone's I'm not sure. But they really need to expand on that feature.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
I have a few of the Front Row alternatives on my computer, but there were none that I liked more than Front Row.

dawsonj

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2011
Front Row did work on Lion

Ha. I've been with Lion since launch and hadn't even realised Front Row had gone!

Shows how much I used it I guess. But seems a shame to have gone. Do newer Macs still come with IR sensor and remote? I have a feeling they're gone now I think about it?

Newer MAcs still have remote capability. I have a mini as source for sharing to apple TVs etc but the HDMI port was also rigged up to a projector so for that I used front row. With latest lion updated and I haven't tried mountain lion yet I found the modified to work on lion front row no longer could read the iTunes library on the local disk however if you went into sources and accessed another library via the home network it worked perfectly so all our MBAs and iMacs and apple TVs share the mini iTunes library but no longer can I play to the projector.

I have no answer as I am only good at searching for someone else's clever software.

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008

IR sensor still there on newer macs. Just no front row. But it can be used to control slideshows, presentations, iTunes, etc.

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
I had Front Row working before Mountain Lion. Used it every day. Couldn't stand any of the alternatives.

What iTunes took away was easy to fix - put an alias to iTunes Movies folder in your Movies folder and you could still get everything there. Can't remember if it worked for Music, don't use Front Row for music.

So I optimistically reinstalled the package referenced in the TUAW article, no effect. Still have a Front Row app, just doesn't launch.

Anybody know a terminal hack that might switch something, so it can run?

I also used (white) Apple Remote to control Eye TV, and the Menu button doesn't seem to work there, at the moment. There was something that needed to run to make Apple Remote work with Eye TV, but I don't remember loading that with Lion. Perhaps, when that fix comes, someone can get Front Row to work again.

Eye TV has a menu item for Front Row. That always worked, once you got Front Row installed for Lion. Choosing View, Open Menu and clicking menu items doesn't activate Front Row, either.

Not holding my breath for an Apple TV app for OS X.

I tried Movist, looks simple, but wouldn't open any folders, then crashed, in Full Screen Navigation. Re-launching, Full Screen Navigation and Preferences are greyed-out & can't be selected. It was last updated in 2010, so I don't hold out much hope of getting it to work with Mountain Lion.

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
Plex is a great alternative.

I downloaded Plex and installed it - it offers me 3 menu items. Search, Preferences, Quit. I think I turned off something even more useless. Help doesn't even show, although it's "checked" in preferences.

Everyone says, you have to load your media into Plex, and it's supposed to ask you, the first time you run it. Not happening. I remember it doing that a couple of years ago, when last I looked, but not now.

No, I'm not getting an account, I just need it to play what's on my hard drive, no internet streaming, no channels - just play what I have.

If it won't do that, then it's no alternative.

haresh.g

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
You have to install Plex Media server as well to enable Plex pickup your media folder. Believe me. This app is worth using. It even collects and stores media information for all your artistes and Movies.

bmab

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
S*** 4 U apple

I need to know from all you guys - I have the apple remote, and use it a lot in FR - haven't upgraded to MountLion yet and won't till I find a FrontRow alternative that works really well with the remote.
Which one do you use??
In iTunes(ML) the only thing you can do with the remote is skip the song, pause, etc you can not choose a song like you did on FR right??
I've tried plex and others long ago I don't remember now but I think they all suck, I really loved FR!!

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
You have to install Plex Media server as well to enable Plex pickup your media folder. Believe me. This app is worth using. It even collects and stores media information for all your artistes and Movies.

Many thanks.

Now I need a Media Server too. I'm excited.
Starting to make iTunes look pretty sleek, this Plex.

Do appreciate the help, despite my sarcasm. I just don't like to install crap all over my system unless Apple makes me.

(Ask me how drag'n'drop is disappearing from Mountain Lion if you really want to get me started. I was worried when iOS didn't have drag'n'drop, even Newton had drag'n'drop, it's like Steve saying 'people don't want key short cuts, they want to use the mouse and menus'. I got the feeling Steve never 'got' drag'n'drop and wanted copy'n'paste. He didn't want multitasking in iOS and I'd be surprised if that isn't the way OS X goes, pretty soon. It's too complicated to show an 80 year old…) arrgh.

Thanks for the Plex help. Sadly, not interested in metadata for movies. Commercial stuff that will have metadata, I just buy the disc. Computers are for other stuff. My library is just too big.

I just want to get to my media from a remote control.

----------

I need to know from all you guys - I have the apple remote, and use it a lot in FR - haven't upgraded to MountLion yet and won't till I find a FrontRow alternative that works really well with the remote.
Which one do you use??
In iTunes(ML) the only thing you can do with the remote is skip the song, pause, etc you can not choose a song like you did on FR right??
I've tried plex and others long ago I don't remember now but I think they all suck, I really loved FR!!

I'm really hoping someone gets Front Row working, soon.

First time I used Plex it couldn't even get aspect ratios correct. It didn't give me a solid feel at all - as if it didn't want to use all the stuff Apple provides under the hood. Whereas iTunes and Front Row were just skins for QuickTime (Front Row used QuickLook). Very minimal, and closer to the er… OS metal.

Machalo

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
Area 54
Front Row is Best

Front Row is the easiest and most convienent way to view all your movies, it works well with the remote, apple TV and the user. Who ever finds a way to get it back on the iMac 27" with retina display, gets a kiss from me;)

yarivn

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
i found a way to make it work!!!!

ok. so after upgrading to 10.8 i still had few "front row.app" icons scattered around the machine. some of the looked as normal (the red sofa) and one of the looked "broken" (like this: http://d.pr/i/ofnj) the normal icons did absolutely nothing (i opened activity monitor to chaco that) but the "broken" one did started an action (again, on activity monitor) here comes the tricky part: once i saw "front row" in the activity monitor all i had to do is just hit escape once!
i have tried it several times and it worked each and every time!

if you don't have this icon on your mac you can download it from here: http://d.pr/f/tudr

good luck, let me know if it worked for you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.