Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
I have a early 2006 iMac CD2. I've had bootcamp installed for a couple of years. But recently it was lagging a bit, so I decided to restart the whole installation again.

I go through the steps, but it doesn't finish. I'm able to partition my drive. I don't need that much space for bootcamp, so I usually apply about 80-100 gigs. After it partitions, I insert my windoze cd (the same one that I've used before) so that it can restart and finish the installation.

When it restarts, it just sits there at a white screen. Then after a while, the folder with the question marks appear.

I have to power down and hold option to be able to restart my computer. When I do, the bootcamp partition is there on the desktop.

So basically, is my computer that obsolete that I can't do bootcamp anymore??

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
I've got an Early 06 as well and bootcamp functions fine, installed windows about a month ago. Not sure what your problem might be though, hopefully someone else can help.

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
I've got an Early 06 as well and bootcamp functions fine, installed windows about a month ago. Not sure what your problem might be though, hopefully someone else can help.

My iMac is a CD2, not a C2D.. I'm running SL 10.6.8...

Is you mac the same? Running the same os?

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
Mine has a Core 2 Duo, but HAD a Core Duo. No issues whatsoever between the two. Plus, I think we would have heard if Apple suddenly dropped support for Bootcamp on older machines.

It's probably just some technical difficulty stemming from the fact that it's Windows. I get so mad when Windows acts like Windows does on my Mac.

When the installation reboots (before it is complete) hold option and make sure it boots from the Bootcamp partition so it can finish.

I'm running Lion, but that should make no difference.

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
Mine has a Core 2 Duo, but HAD a Core Duo. No issues whatsoever between the two. Plus, I think we would have heard if Apple suddenly dropped support for Bootcamp on older machines.

It's probably just some technical difficulty stemming from the fact that it's Windows. I get so mad when Windows acts like Windows does on my Mac.

When the installation reboots (before it is complete) hold option and make sure it boots from the Bootcamp partition so it can finish.

I'm running Lion, but that should make no difference.

Did you do the board upgrade??

What do you mean by "flashed" in your signature?

Well, my bootcamp was working perfectly for the past couple of years, but until recently when it was running slugish, I decided to delete the partition and start all over. But for some strange reason it just sits there at the white screen after it restarts...

And I've also tried holding option, but only my external and my internal pop up.. And when I choose to boot from my internal, the bootcamp drive is just sitting there on my finder.

I tried selecting bootcamp as the startup in the sys prefs.. It just sits there at the white screen...

I also tried selecting the windows cd as the startup.. Same thing... It just sits there at the white screen...

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
The firmware of my board was flashed to that of a later iMac so it will recognize more than 2GB of ram. A Core 2 Duo pops right in. No need to touch the logic board.

Is the bootcamp partition being properly formatted as an NTFS or FAT32 partition? If it is showing as a Mac OSX Journaled partition, something is going wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.