Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:31 AM   #1
vexorg
macrumors regular

Setting to show text (sms) notification on lock screen but not message content

Just about every phone I have will give a notification of a new text while locked. I know the iphone goes one step further shows a preview and who it's from.

For privacy reasons (work and personal) I might not want people to see who is texting me or what it says. I would like a simple message saying "2 new messages", or "1 missed call" on the lock screen, so I do not have to unlock it every time to check.

How do I do this?
vexorg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:56 AM   #2
Jare
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexorg View Post
Just about every phone I have will give a notification of a new text while locked. I know the iphone goes one step further shows a preview and who it's from.

For privacy reasons (work and personal) I might not want people to see who is texting me or what it says. I would like a simple message saying "2 new messages", or "1 missed call" on the lock screen, so I do not have to unlock it every time to check.

How do I do this?
Go into Messages -> "Show Preview" turn that OFF. If you're on iOS 5, go under Notifications -> Messages -> Show Preview -> OFF. Then from now on it'll say something like:

Bob Boberson
(2) Text Message(s)

Instead of:

Bob Boberson
This has a preview! :O
This is a second message! :O

Cheers!

Last edited by Jare; Feb 20, 2012 at 05:04 AM.
Jare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 07:37 AM   #3
neek87
macrumors newbie

Even if you turn off show preview, if you have your messages set to be listed in "Notifications", it'll show the details of the message in Notifications. I was messing around with this yesterday and couldn't find a way to make it NOT show the details of the message in Notification Center. The only thing I could think to do was turn Notification Center off. Bummer.

"Show Preview" off just makes the little pop up window say "Text message" or something like that. So it does a good job of keeping the message private. But the actual details of the message will still show in Noritication Center.

Unless I'm totally overlooking a setting?
neek87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 07:51 AM   #4
barredfreak
macrumors 6502

I don't know why people don't read their notifications immediately to clear their Notification Center. Maybe it's just me. Oh well.

Apple should be fixing that in iOS 5.1. Hey, why not just tell them about it?

http://www.apple.com/contact/
barredfreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier