Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Hello to my fellow Glaswegians, and unlucky stragglers stuck in the city on launch day who may also be venturing to the Apple Store:

I've not been to a product launch before, though I have seen the queues round St. Vincent Street.

Anyone going? Preliminarily, at least? Also, if anyone has prior experience it'd be nice to have an idea of what time to get there for, in order to avoid having to crack skulls.

lepeos

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2012
I got there at 3pm last year and was probably about 100th in the crowd, I'd say the earliest may have been there since the early hours. Not going this year, too boring and I got sick of people asking what we were all queuing up for - like, what do you think?

I'll probably just order online and stomach the delivery

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I got there at 3pm last year and was probably about 100th in the crowd, I'd say the earliest may have been there since the early hours. Not going this year, too boring and I got sick of people asking what we were all queuing up for - like, what do you think?

I'll probably just order online and stomach the delivery

Fair point! I hadn't considered how dull it would probably be, both figuratively and meteorologically speaking. Might just head up to John Lewis and get the free 2 year guarantee with it.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Hey guys! How was it last year? I mean was the launch day in exact time as in the US?

If it's not the same day, you'll probably be looking around a week's wait maximum. The original iPad was pretty slow getting out, but I think that was partially on account of the fact that it was a bit of an unknown quantity. With the iPad 2 there wasn't the same amount of waiting involved.

I can't remember exactly how long the wait was, but I'm fairly sure it wasn't over a week.

Jarson

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2011
Glasgow
Both Apple Stores were supplied with iPad2 on a launch day last year? Or just one on Buchanan Street?

ghepburn

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2010
Don't think the Braehead Apple store was open last year so would have just been Buchanan street that stocked them.

They should both have stock this year though!

Graham

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Both were supplied, yes.

Does anyone know if it is morning or evening launch?

Absolutely, positively, morning.

There's no reason for them to wait till the afternoon to start selling 'em.

I decided to pre-order, so I don't have to go to the store anymore. That John Lewis 2 year warranty is still fairly tempting though.

iWannaBeAdored

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2010
Scotland
Absolutely, positively, morning.

There's no reason for them to wait till the afternoon to start selling 'em.

I decided to pre-order, so I don't have to go to the store anymore. That John Lewis 2 year warranty is still fairly tempting though.

If it's a 9am launch then we will have it well before the Americans, hence the iPad 2 evening launch (I think).

ripkord

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland
I queued for the first iPhone outside o2 in Buchanan galleries. You would have thought I was masturbating in public given some of the looks from the general public. "What you queing for" Eh what about the big apple signs and the iPhone pictures.

shaiboyuk

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2010
I'm planning on heading over to the Glasgow store, to buy my first iPad :)
Really hope I get one, anyone any idea how many the stores get for launch day? and has anyone spoke to store to confirm if 8am? 9am? opening?

Jarson

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2011
Glasgow
I spoke to Apple guys at Buchannan Street and they said they still don't know opening time, which is weird as everybody know it is 8am. They told me also there was huge queue last year.

Last edited:

airdha

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2011
Glasgow, Buchanan Street

I queue'd in October for the iPhone 4s from 6am, the store opened at 8am and I was roughly 80th in the queue. The guys were giving out cups of coffee and chocolates and came round to take your order and give you a ticket before the shop even opened. Great service, good fun and I even got my photo in the paper.....albeit from a distance and you would hardly recognise me ;)

Planning on heading in at 6am again on Friday I think....been fortunate that both release dates have been when I have time off work :apple:

Jarson

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2011
Glasgow
I think I'll be at 6am on a place as well. I'M SO EXCITED, as this will be my first launch day standing in queues.

How do you think, is there a way to run out of iPads? Did it happen in Glasgow before? I just want to make sure that I'll not get back home with empty hands.

Jarson

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2011
Glasgow
Photo shot at Buchanan Street. :) I'll be on a place at 6:00AM methinks.

Attachments

• Photo%2015-03-2012%2013%2049%2052.jpg
    Photo%2015-03-2012%2013%2049%2052.jpg
    513.8 KB · Views: 141

stirlingsheep

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
Tempted to go to Braehead, going to work in Dumbarton from Falkirk anyway, so could leave early and get to Braehead for 6ish and queuing then, not sure though.

Not done a launch (or bought an iPad) as yet. As a Computing Teacher I feel I'm letting the side down. Though have organised a field trip to the Buchanan St store for May.

Was in tonight and speaking to one of the staff, says they'd be doing the whole paying for it prior to the shop opening and distributing tickets so you could get in and pick up quickly, which is handy as I'm working at 8.55

jazzy639

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
Braehead had about 150 people queuing for the 4S. I'm thinking of trying my luck and going later to Braehead (say 9.30am).

shaiboyuk

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2010
Got mine at Tesco silverburn just after midnight. The sales person says they have loads

Pix to prove:
5c28fedc-8950-5de9.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.