Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:11 PM   #1
adam044
macrumors 65816

iPhone turned off with battery left?

Yesterday while using my phone it turned off when it said I had 15% battery. When I tried to turn it back on the battery icon came on telling me connect it to power. So I plugged it in and it came on and I let it charge fully. Today while I was using my phone with 28% left it did the same thing and wouldnt let me turn it back on until I connected it to power. So when I plugged it in my phone came back on and I took it off the charger and hasn't turned back off.. Yet.

Any one have this happen? Why is the phone turning off when there is still battery left? Do I need a new phone? Bug?
adam044 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:14 PM   #2
eclipse01
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam044 View Post
Yesterday while using my phone it turned off when it said I had 15% battery. When I tried to turn it back on the battery icon came on telling me connect it to power. So I plugged it in and it came on and I let it charge fully. Today while I was using my phone with 28% left it did the same thing and wouldnt let me turn it back on until I connected it to power. So when I plugged it in my phone came back on and I took it off the charger and hasn't turned back off.. Yet.

Any one have this happen? Why is the phone turning off when there is still battery left? Do I need a new phone? Bug?
something similar happened to me the other day only it was 9% for me and I had to plug it into the wall charger to get it to boot, it would just keep going into a loop if I used a computer/usb cable.

is it jailbroken?
eclipse01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:15 PM   #3
adam044
macrumors 65816

No it is not currently jailbroken. It was when the jailbreak first came out for like a week but I didn't use it so I restored and got rid of it
adam044 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:39 PM   #4
cole01
macrumors 6502

Seems like this could possibly be a 5.0 bug. Everyone's going to say they don't have this problem, but I've definitely experienced it a few times. Even with my battery as high as in the 20s, a flash photo or accessing the phone will trigger it to shut down and display the charge icon even though it def has battery left. Hopefully 5.1 will solve this and it's not a hardware problem cause it's pretty impossible to duplicate.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:42 PM   #5
eclipse01
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole01 View Post
Seems like this could possibly be a 5.0 bug. Everyone's going to say they don't have this problem, but I've definitely experienced it a few times. Even with my battery as high as in the 20s, a flash photo or accessing the phone will trigger it to shut down and display the charge icon even though it def has battery left. Hopefully 5.1 will solve this and it's not a hardware problem cause it's pretty impossible to duplicate.
I think at times the % meter is really far off.

earlier I noticed with battery detective that it was at about 50% and it said close to 68% on the status bar.
eclipse01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 07:14 AM   #6
Stikybeard
macrumors newbie

Think I fixed it

Been having the same issue as many others. First Iphone 4S started shutting off @ 30% battery left every time. Plug it in and charge it past 30% and it would come back up. Restoring the phone to factory settings and restoring a backup didnt work. Called Verizon and they replaced it. 2nd phone after a month and a half did the same thing at 25%. Tried restoring. No good. Called Verizon, they had me take out the international sim card. Didnt work. They wanted me to try changing my Apple ID (which didnt make any sense, as the same Apple ID is on my IPODs and Ipad and never had an issue) I have an aftermarket Griffin charger which possibly could be causing the issue, but it gets used with my other apple devices without an issue.
Being that all the posts I saw we the same things happening to the same people, it had to be something we are doing, using etc. Cant be poor recepton or a tower or would be affecting hundreds of people (saw that on one post). The only things that could be causing this is either our equipment or software. I saw one person post that they has Facebook, my verizon, facebook messenger and Pandora on their phone. Same as me, along with 90 something more apps. I deleted each of the apps from my phone (after making sure they were still available online to redownload) and downloaded fresh. Did this with the exception of the apple apps I wish i could delete and 5 apps with data I needed. Took about an hour or so. For the first time since the started having the issue, I can now let my phone battery drop down to completely empty . One of those apps had to be corrupt and each time I restored my phone all it did was reinstall the corrupt version.
Now, I cant promise this will fix it for everyone, but it did fix my phone. Verizon and Apple werent any help at all. All I got was the same answers that I saw everyone else got
Hope this helps
Stikybeard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:18 PM   #7
Outrigger
macrumors 65816

same thing happened to me a few times when the battery is either low teens or single digit. Real annoying and it has never been jb'ed before.
Outrigger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 07:05 AM   #8
CanadianGeek
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikybeard View Post
Been having the same issue as many others. First Iphone 4S started shutting off @ 30% battery left every time. Plug it in and charge it past 30% and it would come back up. Restoring the phone to factory settings and restoring a backup didnt work. Called Verizon and they replaced it. 2nd phone after a month and a half did the same thing at 25%. Tried restoring. No good. Called Verizon, they had me take out the international sim card. Didnt work. They wanted me to try changing my Apple ID (which didnt make any sense, as the same Apple ID is on my IPODs and Ipad and never had an issue) I have an aftermarket Griffin charger which possibly could be causing the issue, but it gets used with my other apple devices without an issue.
Being that all the posts I saw we the same things happening to the same people, it had to be something we are doing, using etc. Cant be poor recepton or a tower or would be affecting hundreds of people (saw that on one post). The only things that could be causing this is either our equipment or software. I saw one person post that they has Facebook, my verizon, facebook messenger and Pandora on their phone. Same as me, along with 90 something more apps. I deleted each of the apps from my phone (after making sure they were still available online to redownload) and downloaded fresh. Did this with the exception of the apple apps I wish i could delete and 5 apps with data I needed. Took about an hour or so. For the first time since the started having the issue, I can now let my phone battery drop down to completely empty . One of those apps had to be corrupt and each time I restored my phone all it did was reinstall the corrupt version.
Now, I cant promise this will fix it for everyone, but it did fix my phone. Verizon and Apple werent any help at all. All I got was the same answers that I saw everyone else got
Hope this helps
You know this thread is more than a year old right?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone