Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
It should work, as far as I know.
Installing it won't blow up your Mac Mini, :D, so why don't you give it a shot? There has been couple of threads about this, such as updating the firmware, OS X SL/Lion compatibility issues, etc.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
I have 2 XT 320GBs in my MBP in a RAID0 and they're awesome. The only thing I'll say is make sure you update the firmware for it as soon as you get, as the early firmware had an issues where the drive would stop spinning for a split second, it NEVER caused me any data loss, but it did slowly become an annoyance, the latest firmware fixes that.

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
I am running a 2010 Mini with a Momentus XT and SD28 firmware. It works great. When I first bought it there were some spin down issues but that was remedied a long time ago with firmware. Also, I do not have sleeping the hard drive checked in Energy Saver settings.

This drive works very nice but be patient. It will take a little while to "learn" what your most frequently used files are but i'm fairly sure you will be quite happy with it. Just don't do any speed tests for a while. One day I wanted to see how low I could get my boot times so I rebooted repeatedly and got the time down really low, like 15 sec? I can't remember exactly but eventually the cache remembered other files to keep handy which is fine; I hardly ever reboot anyway.

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
I am running a 2010 Mini with a Momentus XT and SD28 firmware. It works great. When I first bought it there were some spin down issues but that was remedied a long time ago with firmware. Also, I do not have sleeping the hard drive checked in Energy Saver settings.

This drive works very nice but be patient. It will take a little while to "learn" what your most frequently used files are but i'm fairly sure you will be quite happy with it. Just don't do any speed tests for a while. One day I wanted to see how low I could get my boot times so I rebooted repeatedly and got the time down really low, like 15 sec? I can't remember exactly but eventually the cache remembered other files to keep handy which is fine; I hardly ever reboot anyway.

How does it actually work is the drive broke up in SSD and HDD and i partition it to configure apps and data?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
The controller on the drive simply uses the SSD to cache "hot" blocks on the hard disk.

You do nothing, it works like a normal hard drive, only faster for cached data.

lilsoccakid74

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
The only thing I'll say is make sure you update the firmware for it as soon as you get, as the early firmware had an issue where the drive would stop spinning for a split second.

I am looking into finally taking the dive and doing the HD swap as well. I am lost as far as firmware for SSD's. Is this just something that is installed from a support website, or is this done in a more complicated way?

glhiii

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2006
XT 500 works very well on my server Mac mini

Works very well, noticeably faster than the 7500 hard disk it replaced. Be sure to upgrade to latest firmware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.