Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azpc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
So far Mountain Lion looks pretty good. However, there is always room for improvements. What improvements would you like to see?

Here is my list.

1. Versions – like option to turn off this feature for several apps.

2. Restore Save As (Save As did two things easily, new name, new location).

3. Resume – I’d like to have the option to turn this "feature" off.

4. Option in System Preferences to eliminate “reopen windows next time”.

5. Automatic Application Termination – I would like the option to decide which applications auto terminate and which do not. See http://vimeo.com/34711608

6. Restore option for colored icons in finder sidebar - Colored icons really help in providing tech support to clients.

7. Restore Quick Look – zoom in on pdfs.

8. Columns that resize properly in “Kind View".

9. Optional restoration of scroll arrows.

10. Need an option to set both mouse pointer speed and acceleration curve.

11. Option to set Green Zoom button behavior. As it stands now it is up to each developer how this function works.

12. Focus on application compatibility such as Java, Photoshop and other applications that are still using legacy technology.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
-An exclusion list for Resume
-Scroll Reverser functionality built-in
-All Window Expose added back
-Two-finger scroll in Mission Control should make the windows not overlap
-Tabs in finder without TotalFinder
-Leopard-style media controls in the finder
-Unhide ~/Library
-Restore Calendar and Contacts to SL appearance
-Native Bluray support. If Apple won't do this due to licensing fees, make a "Bluray Player" app and charge extra for it on the MAS. Will never happen, though.
-Widgets in notification center

And yes, color back in the sidebars.

Note that they now let you rename your duplicated file in the Title Bar, so Save As functionality is partially back.

Last edited:

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Hey, another useless thread where we complain to people that can't do anything about it. Count me in. :D

Seriously, most of these items are things people using 10.7 wanted changed and sent feedback to Apple about. Now they're ignored in ML as well so what makes you think these "suggestions" will ever get implemented ?

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
United States
Everything said in this thread has been bring back old 1990 features. Why would you want "Save As.." back? Versions is so much better way of dealing with files saves.

But I do like the idea of Widgets in notification center.

Lukeit

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
Shanghai, China
So far Mountain Lion looks pretty good. However, there is always room for improvements. What improvements would you like to see?

Here is my list.

5. Automatic Application Termination – I would like the option to decide which applications auto terminate and which do not. See http://vimeo.com/34711608

6. Restore option for colored icons in finder sidebar - Colored icons really help in providing tech support to clients.

11. Option to set Green Zoom button behavior. As it stands now it is up to each developer how this function works.

12. Focus on application compatibility such as Java, Photoshop and other applications that are still using legacy technology.

Basically all that you're asking is already there in Snow Leopard... you might want to consider downgrading to that OS...

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
- Launchpad background should be grayscale, if you choose the "Graphite" appearance (system prefs).

- Higher compression of installation packages & apps (LZMA) for faster downloads. Apple uses already the XAR-format (the format of .pkg-files; Mac OS X 10.5 and newer; ZLIB & BZIP2 compression), which supports LZMA-compression.

- LZMA file system compression (like SquashFS). Current version uses ZLIB (deflate algorithm).

- Leopard mode for Mach-O & CFM PowerPC apps, similar to MS XP Mode.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Here's my short list. I'm generally pretty happy with ML, and while getting used to Lion to an adjustment period I'm pretty happy with how things are and since ML is a extension of Lion's features This list is rather small

• Launchpad - ability to fully manage it.
  • unhide ~/Library
  • Re-add Save As

Brad9893

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2010
Hiding Under the Genius Bar

Here is my list.

Hasn't Mountain Lion addressed this? The checkbox remembers your last decision, doesn't it? All you have to do is uncheck it once, and then forget about it.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Here's my short list. I'm generally pretty happy with ML, and while getting used to Lion to an adjustment period I'm pretty happy with how things are and since ML is a extension of Lion's features This list is rather small

• Launchpad - ability to fully manage it.
  • unhide ~/Library
  • Re-add Save As
  • Launchpad does need the ability to be modified. I'm better off using the Application folder in the Dock right now.
  • You can unhide Library. For one way to do it see OS X Daily i Unhide Library.
  • In pages you can "Duplicate" a document and then "Save…" that document to where you want. While this isn't as sreamlined or ergonomic as a "Save As…" function, at leats it's there. I'm sure other applications have this as well.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You can unhide Library. For one way to do it see
Oh I know, but the fact remains it makes no sense to have apple hide in the first place. Its one of those things they ought not of changed and resetting it back as the default is the right thing to do.

----------

In pages you can "Duplicate" a document and then "Save…" that document to where you want. While this isn't as sreamlined or ergonomic as a "Save As…" function, at leats it's there. I'm sure other applications have this as well.
Its not the same thing, why add more work just to do a simple save as.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Oh I know, but the fact remains it makes no sense to have apple hide in the first place. Its one of those things they ought not of changed and resetting it back as the default is the right thing to do.
Most people shouldn't be mucking about in Library, it makes sense actually to hide it.
Its not the same thing, why add more work just to do a simple save as.
I did say it wasn't the same and that it wa smote work, but it's still easier then having to swap to the finder to make a duplicate. I also want the "Save As" back.

In addition, I also want a better UI for revision management.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.