Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kristoffer4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark
What I loved about SL was that it made my mac more effecient with new drivers and new tech Grand Central and other stuff.

So any new under the hood changes in ML?

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I don't think that there has been any mention of the actual kernel-level improvements that might exist in the now Mac-less Mac OS 10.8. One of the big things that Lion introduced was real Memory Address Space Layout Randomization, which improves security. Apparently ML extends this even further, making even the kernel itself and kext modules randomly loaded into memory space. And of course, all non Apple App Store executables are flagged as "dirty" and quarantined unless the user disables the "Gatekeeper" feature. So I think ML is mainly about security, not speed.

The only other thing known about Mountain Lion is that it is pure x64 only--no more legacy x32 kernel or support for 32bit kexts. Also, I think that the filesystem and main applications are being slowly transitioned to iOS's non-global "Apps own their own files and have to pass duplicates to other Apps" organization paradigm (but the standard full HFS+ disk is still accessible with Finder for now).

Last edited:

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
People at the forums here are mostly saying great things about ML. I especially like ML because of the "reopen windows when logging in" feature is turned off by default :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.