Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:41 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's First Dutch Retail Store Reportedly Set for March 3 Opening

After one false alert claiming a February 18 opening for Apple's new Amsterdam retail store, the company's first in the Netherlands, One More Thing now reports [Google translation] that the grand opening is apparently set for March 3.

Glass staircase at Apple's Amsterdam retail store
The sources of the information are said to be "numerous and come from different angles", making One More Thing very confident in the opening date. Dutch media has reportedly also been notified to pencil in March 1 as a date for a media preview of the new store. The opening of the Amsterdam store will bring Apple's count of countries with retail stores to 13, with the company counting China and Hong Kong as separate markets.

Article Link: Apple's First Dutch Retail Store Reportedly Set for March 3 Opening
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:50 AM   #2
applefan289
macrumors 68000

Love those stairs!
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:50 AM   #3
Tailpike1153
macrumors 6502a

I would love to be on Apple's architectural team when they are planning new stores. The free standing (not in Shopping malls) are some of the most stylish stores I've ever seen.
Tailpike1153 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:14 AM   #4
ConnYoungy
macrumors regular

Sometimes I'm baffled by how they decide what goes where in the Front page/Mac/iOS blogs...

In other news, gorgeous stairs!
ConnYoungy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:41 AM   #5
iSolidus
macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

I will definitely buy my iPad 3 there when it comes out.
iSolidus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:49 AM   #6
SKTHEPREZ
macrumors member

I must say...

Only in Amsterdam could stairs be so cool. That was def designed by a "coffee shop regular" which would explain such awesome and amazing creative prowess!
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:51 AM   #7
Nilscollection
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to Nilscollection
Guess I'll be buying the 2012 MacBook Pro in Amsterdam, then! I think it's a different experience than buying a Mac at a Premium Reseller.

Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:25 AM   #8
mcfrazieriv
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKTHEPREZ View Post
Only in Amsterdam could stairs be so cool. That was def designed by a "coffee shop regular" which would explain such awesome and amazing creative prowess!

Most multi floored apple stores have these glass staircases???
mcfrazieriv is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:43 AM   #9
SBlue1
macrumors 6502a

anither reason to go and see amsterdam
SBlue1 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:00 PM   #10
SKTHEPREZ
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfrazieriv View Post

Most multi floored apple stores have these glass staircases???
Well then Steve probably designed it, as he was a medical marijuana patient. That's creativity right there. Haha
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:40 PM   #11
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604

Altered Feb 18th to March 3rd in iCal.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:50 PM   #12
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSolidus View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

I will definitely buy my iPad 3 there when it comes out.
Probably going to be very busy there.

But, I agree, will be a different experience to buy inside an Apple store instead of a normal reseller.

Seems to Me there is some plastic in between the stairs and the lighting above in the picture.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 02:31 AM   #13
teleromeo
macrumors 65816

It's official now :

http://www.apple.com/nl/retail/amsterdam/
Old Feb 22, 2012, 03:07 AM   #14
chatfan
macrumors regular

Sure it is cool to have a "official" Apple store, but in a way it also sucks.

Now all profits go straight to Apple, for the people who have been fighting an uphill battle for the past 25 years trying to keep Apple products alive in their shops, this just means unfair competition. Shops get no discounts when apple drops prices for black friday or whatever event.

Visit any of the long time Apple dealer, not an official Apple store, and ask them how Apple treats them and they will tell you they are treated like dog turds. Every time I buy a new Apple computer, the shop guys tells me they make more money on the after market RAM and Harddrives then on a 4500.- Mac Pro.

Anyway, always found it weird how they are in competition with their own dealers. But will I visit them when in Amsterdam? HELL YEAH!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 07:50 AM   #15
The Tech Fish
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatfan View Post
Anyway, always found it weird how they are in competition with their own dealers. But will I visit them when in Amsterdam? HELL YEAH!
Although I agree with you that it is unfortunate for the Apple Resellers, I would also like to point out that I have never once been into an Apple Reseller that even comes close to the 'feel' and service that you get in an Apple store, and I guess that is what apple is fighting, you know what they are like about their completely closed ecosystem.

Also the high street resellers are there for a very different purpose to the apple stores, while the resellers are there to sell products then and there, the apple stores are there to introduce people to the world of apple, and that strategy sure does work. For example, a while back a lot of my (female) friends started going to apple stores just so that they could use Photo Booth, and upload the pictures the FB, now, most of them have and Apple laptop (a lot of them have MacBook Pros, which I can not understand...).

A bit long winded, but my point is that whilst the Resellers are going to be hit hard by this, that is inevitable anyway, they are competing with the likes of amazon and the online apple store (and other online retailers) the apple stores aren't really competing with anything.

Joe
The Tech Fish is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:26 AM   #16
BobbyRond
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tech Fish View Post
Although I agree with you that it is unfortunate for the Apple Resellers, I would also like to point out that I have never once been into an Apple Reseller that even comes close to the 'feel' and service that you get in an Apple store, and I guess that is what apple is fighting, you know what they are like about their completely closed ecosystem.

Also the high street resellers are there for a very different purpose to the apple stores, while the resellers are there to sell products then and there, the apple stores are there to introduce people to the world of apple, and that strategy sure does work. For example, a while back a lot of my (female) friends started going to apple stores just so that they could use Photo Booth, and upload the pictures the FB, now, most of them have and Apple laptop (a lot of them have MacBook Pros, which I can not understand...).

A bit long winded, but my point is that whilst the Resellers are going to be hit hard by this, that is inevitable anyway, they are competing with the likes of amazon and the online apple store (and other online retailers) the apple stores aren't really competing with anything.

Joe
I work for a reseller and I couldn't agree more with you. Resellers are about making a profit. Apple is about sharing the experience.
BobbyRond is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:19 AM   #17
chatfan
macrumors regular

Perhaps I should have mentioned I'm not talking about the high street resellers that just try to push Apple products out, but the Apple service centers like LJS in the hague that spend a fortune on a cool looking modern shop, offer the best support and advice I have ever received in any shop. And they have been doing this agains the storm called Apple retail for years. I'll buy a Mac Pro or Macbook Pro there every year or so for the past 12 years. And they only sell me something if it really is what I need, otherwise they advice me to wait, which always turned out to be the best.

So I would say they don't come close to Apple stores, they passed them years ago :P If you are living in The Hague and like / love Apple, you should check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tech Fish View Post

Joe
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:31 AM   #18
powers74
macrumors 68000

is it just me or do the curved glass panels seem miss-bent or cut at the wrong angle or something?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:53 PM   #19
fanspeed
macrumors member

yea baby light up

oh yea hookers and weed in Amsterdam let's go baby!
fanspeed is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion