Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Feb 21, 2012, 05:31 PM   #1
matamoris
macrumors member

Mountain Cloud and internet files

Will the new Mountain Cloud allow me to save my files on the internet like dropbox?

Thanks,
Matt
matamoris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 05:39 PM   #2
Krazy Bill
Banned

What's Mountain Cloud?

Most likely not. Only Apple sanctioned files/documents.
Krazy Bill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 06:16 PM   #3
Patrick J
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
What's Mountain Cloud?

Most likely not. Only Apple sanctioned files/documents.
With the current implementation of iCloud you can sync anything in the Mobile Documents folder, just like Dropbox.
Patrick J is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 07:06 PM   #4
Krazy Bill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick J View Post
With the current implementation of iCloud you can sync anything in the Mobile Documents folder, just like Dropbox.
Ok, but don't you need one of Apple's productivity apps to create the Mobile Documents folder first? (That's not like DropBox).

I don't use iWork.
Krazy Bill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 07:06 PM   #5
thundersteele
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Oh, this is interesting.

A few days ago, I tried ML on my old machine. To test the cloud features, I created a few dummy files using TextEdit and saved a pdf to the cloud using Preview.

I just checked the ~/Library/Mobile Documents folder on my working machine (MBP running Lion), and the files are there! So it seems we already have Dropbox like features even in Lion. However Dropbox is still miles ahead in terms of usability and sharing.
thundersteele is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:00 PM   #6
unobtainium
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Actually you can't. Apple did something to mess it up in 10.7.3. It was never officially supported anyway, so Dropbox is a better solution for now. I wish Apple would allow some kind of official support for it though.

Edited to add: thundersteele, can you drag and drop files into Mobile Documents and have them show up on your iDevices (for example, the iCloud folder in Goodreader)? This is how it used to work before 10.7.3, but now changes to the folder no longer seem to get sent up to the Cloud.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:14 PM   #7
nostylluan
macrumors member

what he wants is idisk which was available in mobileme and requested by many people for icloud.

the thing is that apple almost gives you no reason to have a drive since you can save music, books, notes, email, contacts, documents, pictures, games

the only thing missing is video... this is for non pro users... for pro users the idisk would be better but apple cares more about profit lately. pro users seem to be less of an important crowd each new os. the best thing to do is to get an external drive since dropbox requires pay unless you want 2-8gb
nostylluan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion