Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

randolorian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Will the new Mountain Cloud allow me to save my files on the internet like dropbox?

Thanks,
Matt

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
With the current implementation of iCloud you can sync anything in the Mobile Documents folder, just like Dropbox.
Ok, but don't you need one of Apple's productivity apps to create the Mobile Documents folder first? (That's not like DropBox).

I don't use iWork.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
With the current implementation of iCloud you can sync anything in the Mobile Documents folder, just like Dropbox.

Oh, this is interesting.

A few days ago, I tried ML on my old machine. To test the cloud features, I created a few dummy files using TextEdit and saved a pdf to the cloud using Preview.

I just checked the ~/Library/Mobile Documents folder on my working machine (MBP running Lion), and the files are there! So it seems we already have Dropbox like features even in Lion. However Dropbox is still miles ahead in terms of usability and sharing.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011

Actually you can't. Apple did something to mess it up in 10.7.3. It was never officially supported anyway, so Dropbox is a better solution for now. I wish Apple would allow some kind of official support for it though.

Edited to add: thundersteele, can you drag and drop files into Mobile Documents and have them show up on your iDevices (for example, the iCloud folder in Goodreader)? This is how it used to work before 10.7.3, but now changes to the folder no longer seem to get sent up to the Cloud.

nostylluan

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2012
what he wants is idisk which was available in mobileme and requested by many people for icloud.

the thing is that apple almost gives you no reason to have a drive since you can save music, books, notes, email, contacts, documents, pictures, games

the only thing missing is video... this is for non pro users... for pro users the idisk would be better but apple cares more about profit lately. pro users seem to be less of an important crowd each new os. the best thing to do is to get an external drive since dropbox requires pay unless you want 2-8gb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.