Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nashyo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
Bristol
As a newbie, I regularly get confused about where to put code and when to tweak the inspector in interface builder. From the advice of a macrumours member, I've recently switched off storyboard and I've been learning coding with xib files, from a book called 'Beginning IOS 5 Development' by David, Mark and Jack.

However, it's a lot of extra work using xib files and the storyboard helps you see all your views in a convenient way. Has any experienced developers welcome the addition of storyboard?

I want to toggle the status bar hidden property to YES when I segue into a view on my storyboard. In the inspector there is an option to switch the status bar property to 'none', but this alone doesn't hide the status bar at runtime. Adding a line of code into viewdidload to hide the status bar does the job,

Code:
[[UIApplication sharedapplication] setstatusbarhidden = YES];

but a small gap remains where the status bar once was, at runtime. I've adjusted the struts and springs of my views and subviews, with no luck.. I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually, but it's confusing jumping between the storyboard and code for issues like this.

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium
I'm completely not interested in StoryBoards, I know how to build my interfaces the way I'm used to, and been doing for over a year or 2.
It's easy for me to set it up, and don't want to switch over, so far, that's my only advice, alot of people will tell you why it's better, and I think it's good to learn it anyways :)

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I investigated using Storyboards to help with the rewrite of a.k.a. that I am working on. For me, I found them lacking when it comes to making a universal app that doesn't repeat itself in regards to views (and we know DRY is a good thing to strive for). But I think if one was to write a simpler app, restricted to one platform, Storyboards would be a nice thing to use.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I like storyboards.

Then again, I've never written any of my apps to have a unique interface for the iPad.

ThinkDifferentX

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2012
I'm currently working on updating an app to universal that was previously iPad only. I'm using storyboards just fine. I don't understand how it doesn't work well for universal apps. I have an iPhone storyboard and an iPad storyboard, all from checking universal app when I created the project.

The only snafu is it's tricky to edit the content view of a UISCrollView, since it is a subview now as opposed to a property.

I was able to make it easier by changing the struts and springs for the scroll view so I could pan the content view around.

I ultimately decided to make it a separate view in it;s own nib and ill put it in the scroll view at runtime.

It's good to know how to do UI in code also, since it makes customizing things easier.

seepel

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
I played around with Storyboards a bit and I was digging them. One of the coolest features I think is the static table view. That being said I'm not sure I'm ready to give up on iOS 4 yet so I haven't moved to them.

lmoroney

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2011
I played around with Storyboards a bit and I was digging them. One of the coolest features I think is the static table view. That being said I'm not sure I'm ready to give up on iOS 4 yet so I haven't moved to them.

I personally prefer to do everything code-first, and bypass Interface Builder and Storyboards altogether. It's not as difficult as it might sound, and it makes you apps MUCH easier to debug...

Laurence

Last edited:

HannKett

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2012
Europe
I also like storyboards, but I never used the nib files as stand alone though so I can't really tell the difference.

But it is a cool idea, the only thing that irritates me is that when you zoom out you can not perform any actions. Remedied that with a brand new 27" imac (will give to the mrs when the new one arrives) :apple:

TheWatchfulOne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
I appreciate the concept and intent of story boards (and IB) but, in practice, I prefer to do everything programmatically. It's easier for me to keep track what is going to happen and in what order it's going to happen.

I do sometimes use Interface Builder as a sort of visual aid type of tool. But then I write down the numbers and implement my UI programmatically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.