Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:15 AM   #1
daveathall
macrumors 68000

Copying tracks.

I have an iPod classic (latest version). My library is oven 9000 tracks. Whenever I sync my iPod there always seems to be 382 tracks that it wants to copy back to the iPod, even when I have just synced, unplug and re sync it then copies 382 songs again. I have tried resetting the iPod by pressing the centre button and menu at the same time and also checked all the artwork shows in my iTunes library, with so many songs I don't really want to restore my iPod to new on my Mac. It's just a niggle really.

Any advice would be welcome.
daveathall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:23 PM   #2
Pharmscott
macrumors 6502a

I want to know the answer to this too please. This happens on my iPhone. I have less total tracks (2000-ish) and the number that it re-copies is less but the symptoms are the same.

Enlighten us MacRumors!
Pharmscott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:25 PM   #3
daveathall
macrumors 68000

I tried a restore after all but still does not help, any ideas please?
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:43 AM   #4
ftaok
macrumors 601

Is it the same 382 tracks each time? I'm guessing it is. With that assumption, do these 382 tracks have something in common with each other, but are somehow unique compared to the other 8600 tracks?

If it only happened once, I could chaulk it up to you having changed a rating, or some metadata on those files. But since it happens every time, I'd have to think it's something else.

Perhaps you have some sort of Applescript that is affecting those 382 tracks and it's changing something on the file so that it has to resync everytime.

ft
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:53 AM   #5
daveathall
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftaok View Post
Is it the same 382 tracks each time? I'm guessing it is. With that assumption, do these 382 tracks have something in common with each other, but are somehow unique compared to the other 8600 tracks?

If it only happened once, I could chaulk it up to you having changed a rating, or some metadata on those files. But since it happens every time, I'd have to think it's something else.

Perhaps you have some sort of Applescript that is affecting those 382 tracks and it's changing something on the file so that it has to resync everytime.

ft
Thank you for your reply, They seem to be the same 382 tracks, I don't know how to check for sure, but the same songs seem to be coming up when copying on the sync, must admit that I am racking my brains. As i have said before, it doesn't affect playback and as I only sync when I add more tracks it is not that much of an issue, just annoying really.

Thank you very much for your help though.

Edit: Just synced my other iPod classic, same thing, so must be in iTunes somewhere rather than the Pod.

Last edited by daveathall; Feb 26, 2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:03 PM   #6
phairphan
macrumors 6502

In addition to ftaok's approach (which is where I'd start), you might also want to look at your smart playlists. While I can't think of any playlist conditions which would cause iTunes to erase and then reload these tracks, perhaps there are some. Do you have any smart playlists which contain these 382 tracks?
phairphan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:20 PM   #7
daveathall
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by phairphan View Post
In addition to ftaok's approach (which is where I'd start), you might also want to look at your smart playlists. While I can't think of any playlist conditions which would cause iTunes to erase and then reload these tracks, perhaps there are some. Do you have any smart playlists which contain these 382 tracks?

Thank you very much for your help, I checked all the smart playlists to see if there was a list for 382 or even a combination thereof, no luck. It's has me stumped, but I do very much appreciate your help. Thank you.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:26 PM   #8
JUiCEJamie
macrumors 6502a

edit

Last edited by JUiCEJamie; Feb 27, 2012 at 05:29 PM. Reason: wrong thread
JUiCEJamie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 10:56 AM   #9
daveathall
macrumors 68000

Update;

Since updating to iTunes 10.6 (4) the problem seems to have rectified itself.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 11:23 PM   #10
kaielement
macrumors 6502a

Another good tip I tell people is to always have your iPod set to manually manage your songs this helps to prevent things like this from happening and also helps from the iPod ever deleting all your music and trying to reloading itself which can be a pain (especially if not everything is in your iTunes library like me where I store most of my music on an external hard drive because I have way to much music lol) This also helps if you ever want to grab music from a friends iTunes library.
kaielement is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod