Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2008
EU
*at least in the EU where it's actually regulated

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    748.6 KB · Views: 206

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Or you could choose not to take the chance that it's being regulated properly. Whatever floats your boat...

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
(Just as an edit, this was a response to a question).

You're assuming that free-range is regulated properly and that welfare standards are upheld, is that always the case? If it worries you, why not stop supporting the industry entirely?

I'm not saying people should, just saying it makes the most sense to me.

Last edited:

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
You're assuming that free-range is regulated properly and that welfare standards are upheld, is that always the case? If it worries you, why not stop supporting the industry entirely?

I'm not saying people should, just saying it makes the most sense to me.

Aren't you to a degree assuming they are not or will not be regulated properly?

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
So you're suggesting that because you think it is bound to happen again, one should just say screw trying to do a good thing?
Sorry, I have got to start being more explicit.

Of course I believe that free range is better than factory farming. However I prefer not to support the meat industry at all, that way I know I'm not supporting animal cruelty due to meat production.

niuniu

macrumors 68020

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2008
EU
You can't trust the labeling is the problem when you shop at a supermarket. In the UK if the label says something is 'free range' or is 'sourced locally' or has 'such and such an ingredient' it could well not be any of those.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/feb/26/local-food-labelling-misleading-consumers

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/poultrynews/19718/businessman-jailed-over-egg-labelling-scandal

the UK is pretty lax, but the EU overall is not

The European Union regulates marketing standards for egg farming which specifies the following (cumulative) minimum conditions for the free-range method:

hens have continuous daytime access to open-air runs, except in the case of temporary restrictions imposed by veterinary authorities,

the open-air runs to which hens have access is mainly covered with vegetation and not used for other purposes except for orchards, woodland and livestock grazing if the latter is authorised by the competent authorities,

the open-air runs must at least satisfy the conditions specified in Article 4(1)(3)(b)(ii) of Directive 1999/74/EC whereby the maximum stocking density is not greater than 2500 hens per hectare of ground available to the hens or one hen per 4m2 at all times and the runs are not extending beyond a radius of 150 m from the nearest pophole of the building; an extension of up to 350 m from the nearest pophole of the building is permissible provided that a sufficient number of shelters and drinking troughs within the meaning of that provision are evenly distributed throughout the whole open-air run with at least four shelters per hectare.[10]

Otherwise, egg farming in EU is classified into 4 categories: Organic (ecological), Free Range, Barn, and Cages.[11]) The mandatory labelling on the egg shells attributes a number (which is the first digit on the label) to each of these categories: 0 for Organic, 1 for Free Range, 2 for Barn and 3 for Cages.[12]

There are EU regulations about what free-range means for laying hens and broilers (meat chickens) as indicated above.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Sorry, I have got to start being more explicit.

Of course I believe that free range is better than factory farming. However I prefer not to support the meat industry at all, that way I know I'm not supporting animal cruelty due to meat production.

Oh absolutely. I personally don't either. I just didn't like the logic that was happening.

And I figured being more explicit would land this into PRSI...

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
I don't see what all the fuss is about. We're talking about high-end health stores that are actually giving away range chicken...for free! If I don't have to pay for something, that's great. Especially when it's something from a healthy grocer.

I haven't tried any yet. But I might stop by and get my free range chicken on the way home from work tonight.

Wait. What do you mean "free range chicken" isn't free!?

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I don't see what all the fuss is about. We're talking about high-end health stores that are actually giving away range chicken...for free! If I don't have to pay for something, that's great. Especially when it's something from a healthy grocer.

I haven't tried any yet. But I might stop by and get my free range chicken on the way home from work tonight.

Wait. What do you mean "free range chicken" isn't free!?

Make sure that you also get natural grass fed beef as well.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?

But I don't want to use my range, I want to bake my chicken...

flurffmeister

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2008
Am I the only person who doesn't understand the craze about the organic & free range & humanely treated animals?

Yes, let's cut down more forests to give them more room, pamper them, and let them roam free in the most luxurious farm possible before we pluck their feathers, chop their heads off, toss them through the wood chipper to make nuggets, and/or force them to breed / lay eggs to sustain our business. We'll charge 2-3x more, and people will buy it because they'll think it's somehow better for them. Makes sense.

I have no moral difficulties nor desire to nitpick as to the pre-slaughter life of my meat. It all ends up looking like **** anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.