Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macboy13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
I recently was offered an iMac G3 from my friend and I was wondering what OS runs better on the machine

the Specs are:
Ruby iMac DV
400 MHz Power PC G3
128 MB of RAM (I already have 1 GB of ram just sitting to be put in it)
10 GB Hard Drive (I have a 40 GB HDD for it too)
CD-ROM Drive

I was wondering which OS runs better on it?

Jaguar or Panther?
Either way I'm gonna also dual boot the machine with OS 9.2.2

I also read this:
http://lowendmac.com/ed/nygren/08ny/ibook-mac-os-x-jaguar.html

But I also hear that Panther is faster

I'm not sure which one to install

wordsworth

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
UK
Why not go with Jaguar if you already have the CDs for it and see how it suits you? It worked fine for me on my iMac G3 (a later generation to yours). I did upgrade to Panther however and I preferred it to Jaguar. It's an excellent OS in fact, though Jaguar was perfectly decent.

There will doubtless be various technical reasons why one of these OS releases will be the best option for your particular iMac model, but if you're upgrading memory and hard drive maybe Panther will turn out to be the better choice.

Maybe someone else on the forum can confirm for sure which would be your best option? Sorry I can't be more helpful.

92WardSenatorFE

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2008
USA
From working with various PowerMacs and iBooks over the years, I can tell you that Panther is probably going to be the best OS. Although I have limited knowledge working with Jaguar specifically, Panther seemed to be a more stable OS on the various machines I've ran it on. Panther also has more application support and browsers (even though they are still outdated) compared to Jaguar. Obviously the more RAM you have, the better your Mac will run. The larger HDD will also give you a lot more room to work with (especially if you plan on running both OS 9.2 and OS X).

If you have Tiger, Tiger should also work fine on the iMac G3 (if it meets the requirements) and would have a lot more application support and web browser support than even Panther. Running Tiger though would require more RAM specifically, and Tiger is very heavy on RAM usage due to extra features running (like dashboard, spotlight... which can be disabled manually, though).

pistooli

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2009
Hungary
I would put Tiger on it. I have an old PowerBook G3 Lombard (400MHz CPU, and 512 MB Ram) and Tiger runs acceptable for browsing without flash, and perfect for wordprocessing.
So your machine with 1 GB Ram would be even better. :)

I use Camino on the PowerBook as a browser.

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
I would put Tiger on it. I have an old PowerBook G3 Lombard (400MHz CPU, and 512 MB Ram) and Tiger runs acceptable for browsing without flash, and perfect for wordprocessing.
So your machine with 1 GB Ram would be even better. :)

I use Camino on the PowerBook as a browser.

I agree completely.

@OP: I use Tiger on my iMac G3 (check signature) and it runs surprisingly well for its age. I can do some light web browsing (no flash, obviously) and I've even written a few papers on it. Granted, I have a faster processor, but my iMac certainly isn't leaps and bounds from yours. Also, another good reason to install Tiger is its compatibility with the web browser TenFourFox. I'm not alone in saying that it's an awesome PPC web browser (I used to use a G3 optimized build of Camino). Also, do your best to optimize the OS to help even more (disable spotlight and dashboard, change dock to 2D mode, change minimize effect to "scale" instead of "genie", etc. If you need help figuring out how to do these things, there are TONS of PowerPC optimization guides out there.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention that I use Tiger on my iBook as well.

Last edited:

0ranges

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2012
I have the same iMac with maxed ram. It runs 10.4 fine and with Mactubes, it watches youtube vids with quicktime instead of flash.

macboy13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
In the end actually the iMac G3 came with 320 MB of ram :)

I tried the machine with Jaguar, Panther and Tiger and overall Panther felt the quickest

the Hard drive it came with actually had Panther on it so I cloned the Drive
and Made a new user account

But I'm Gonna sell it cause I need the money but i got it for free

Specs Now:

Power PC G3 @ 400 MHz
1 GB of SDRAM
60 GB HD
CD-ROM Drive
ATI Rage 128 Pro with 8 MB of VRAM
Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther

macboy13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
Actually I upgraded it to tiger and its pretty smooth
Just as fast as panther

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.