Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:09 PM   #1
w3webpro
macrumors newbie

Already synced with another iTunes Library problem.

Hello, I am new to the forum. Anyway, here is my problem.

I recently just had to re-install windows vista on my hp pavilion. Thankfully I backed up all my music and re-imported everything from my old install to this one. However, when I go to sync my iPhone 4 I get the message that reads:

"The iPhone is already synced with another iTunes library. Do you want to erase this iPhone and synch with this iTunes library?"

It warns that doing so will erase my current iphone and replace the contents of it with the contents in my new iTunes library.

I'm afraid to sync in fear of losing all my images and app data.

I do not have the backup file from the old install but doubt that will work because there's a lot of stuff that's been re-arranged in my new install.

I would like to think that it will create a backup first before it does anything but I'm afraid it will erase everything first instead including all my contacts.

Also, I am signed in to my iTunes account.

Help. Please and thank you.
w3webpro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:24 PM   #2
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Just backup the phone before syncing.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:42 AM   #3
w3webpro
macrumors newbie

Last edited by w3webpro; Feb 23, 2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:56 PM   #4
w3webpro
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by -aggie- View Post
Just backup the phone before syncing.
In my initial thread I mentioned:

"I would like to think that it will create a backup first before it does anything but I'm afraid it will erase everything first instead including all my contacts."

In order to create a backup you need to press sync. When I do that it says it's already synced with another itunes library (my old one) and it says syncing with the new itunes library will replace the contents on my iphone with the contents on the new itunes library.

I'm afraid it will delete all my phone data. Like I said I'd like to think it will create a backup first before it does but this is telling me my iphone will be erased.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:01 PM   #5
w3webpro
macrumors newbie

I found the resolution to my problem. Right click on iphone and select backup once it's connected to your computer. This is great and I wasn't aware that you can backup your iphone without syncing it.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:06 PM   #6
MonkeyBrainz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3webpro View Post
I found the resolution to my problem. Right click on iphone and select backup once it's connected to your computer. This is great and I wasn't aware that you can backup your iphone without syncing it.
Yep. You can also set iTunes to NOT sync automatically when your iDevices are plugged in. Settings > Devices > uncheck auto sync option
MonkeyBrainz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:35 AM   #7
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Like I said, backup the phone before syncing.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:25 PM   #8
Spikes689
macrumors newbie

How do I back it up?????
Spikes689 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:50 AM   #9
Myjunkname
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Hey I'm curious, even after you backed up your phone, when you did perform the actual SYNC, what happened? Was your phone completely wiped out of data apps, photos, etc during the sync, like doing a restore?

What's strange for me is that I set up my new iPhone 5 based on an icloud backup of my iPhone 4S... I have yet to actually sync this iPhone with any computer, though I use iTunes Match for music. I don't care of the music gets wiped, but I'd prefer that all my apps and settings stay loaded without having to go thru a restore like process... Which takes way too long!

The only reason I want to sync the i5 with my PC laptop is because I have an ipa on the PC that was previously deleted from the App Store... So it obviously didn't download during the restore. My old Mac laptop at home is the device that holds my massive iTunes library, photos, etc... But of course, I should have expected this, but the iPhone 5 cannot be synced to my old powerPC Mac. That's a whole nother story though.

Please let me know what happened with you did the sync though! If it RESTORES the iPhone and has to download all those apps again, I think I'll hold off until later.

Thanks!
Myjunkname is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting