Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SailorTom

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2008
Hey,

I'm in the middle of developing a new theme for this website with the aim of making it more useable/a better resource for regular visitors i.e. club members, while still containing all the info to "sell" the club to newbies.

Most of the blog/news posts produced are aimed at members, rather than the public; my initial thoughts were to make these much more prominent on the home page, then base the navigation predominantly on categories. The home page I'm planning to aggregate updates from twitter and Facebook, to create an "everything" feed, whilst within the archives, these would be filtered out and displayed separately.

Because I'm basing navigation on categories, this taxonomy is more important than the others (I'm also planning on having a parent "All Categories" page), so what I can't decide is whether I should be displaying the full post content or just excerpts on a) the home page b) the all categories page c) the category archives.

Any UX experts with any advice on how this should be arranged or how to make these choices, help will be appreciated!

manueld

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
I would suggest putting your content in some type of hierarchy. Currently when I visit your site, I'm not quite sure what to look at first as everything is the same type style and size. Just by rearranging your content and giving things different sizes would already vastly improve the layout.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.