Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjoverell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
OK, firstly I would like to state that I enjoy using Apple products and have not had any issues with my 13 inch Macbook Pro or iPhone 4 for the entire time I have owned them… however since the release of iOS 5 I have been nothing but unimpressed.

Basically since being pestered every time I opened iTunes with my iPhone connected and being asked to update to iOS 5, I eventually did. Since then my WiFi and 3G data access have not been the same.

Below poor WiFi range (standing in the same room as the access point with two bars of reception), not being able to detect hotspots (even though friends with iPhones running different OS versions can pick up multiple hotspots) and terribly slow 3G speeds.

Now before the update to iOS 5, everything was perfect, all the above listed issues were not present. So after countless hours searching forums and websites I found that I wasn’t the only one. That this issue has affected a “small amount of users”. So when passing an Apple Store while on holidays in the US, I walked in and made an appointment with a Genius where he acknowledged that he had heard of this issue and went through the process of fully restoring my iPhone and setting it up as a new phone. Result, no improvement.

I have tried everything to remedy this issue since then, followed all the online recommendations, tried restoring to it’s previous state and even tried downloading and installing an older iOS all with no success.

Now back home in Melbourne, Australia, I had enough and made another appointment with a Genius at the Apple store in Doncaster, Victoria. Again we went through the motions of fully restoring the iPhone and setting it up as new, still with no success. The Genius told me that for $179 he would be able to exchange my iPhone for a new one since mine was no longer covered under warranty. Now I found this quite ridiculous that only three months ago before updating my OS the iPhone was working fine and only began to fail after updating to iOS 5. I explained this to the Genius and he said there was nothing he could do. I may not be an Apple ‘Genius’ but with 10 years in the electrical and AV industry as well as having a degree in electrical engineering, it doesn’t take a genius to know that the issue here is with the software and not the phone and that I should not have to pay for a new phone under these circumstances.

I would love to hear of anyone’s experience with the same issue, if they found a proper fix or if they were roped into forking out $179 for a new phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.