Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

electronique

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
When I went from Snow Leopard-Lion, on my 2011 MBP, I had noticed quite a large increase in temperature. Its not uncommon for some apps to push my MBP to 70+ degrees celsius... Also noticed a decrease in battery life.

For those with ML. Any improvements with temperature or battery life?

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
unlikely, I have yet to hear of any performance improvements in ML, only features added. Which just means more crap running in the background.

MonkeyBrainz

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2012
When I went from Snow Leopard-Lion, on my 2011 MBP, I had noticed quite a large increase in temperature. Its not uncommon for some apps to push my MBP to 70+ degrees celsius... Also noticed a decrease in battery life.

For those with ML. Any improvements with temperature or battery life?

70 degrees Celsius is a normal operating temperature for SB CPUs. Even 93 Celsius is still a normal operating temp for those chips, even though that is very freaking hot and you'll probably notice slowness at that point.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
70 degrees Celsius is a normal operating temperature for SB CPUs. Even 93 Celsius is still a normal operating temp for those chips, even though that is very freaking hot and you'll probably notice slowness at that point.
My 2011 iMac with i7 chip, runs at 40°C under normal use...

MonkeyBrainz

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2012
My 2011 iMac with i7 chip, runs at 40°C under normal use...

Good for you, but that has nothing to do with what I said. I was reassuring him that 70 is a normal (and safe) operating temperature for a 2011 MBP. Mine is usually between 50 and 80 depending on what I'm doing.

electronique

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
^ Monkeybrainz.. Thanks for the reassureance.

I always hate my MBP running that high. Its nice to know that its not 'that' high..

Although i cannot pin point it, i do think part of the rise in temperature was when I changed out my Superdrive to a Momentus XT..

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
unlikely, I have yet to hear of any performance improvements in ML, only features added. Which just means more crap running in the background.

Everyone i've seen has commented that ML seems to run smoother and better than Lion.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
While smoother and better is always good..
Theres a difference between 'Smoother and better' and... less CPU/GPU intensive..

You're right, i should have explained better. A majority of people have said things like smoother and better, but the few that have looked more thoroughly have said less RAM/CPU as well. One guy on here said Lion at boot took about 3 GB and Mountain Lion was down to 1.5-2 GB at boot.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
You're right, i should have explained better. A majority of people have said things like smoother and better, but the few that have looked more thoroughly have said less RAM/CPU as well. One guy on here said Lion at boot took about 3 GB and Mountain Lion was down to 1.5-2 GB at boot.

I'm one of those that said that..

ML is not just lion with more crap, It's actually a nice OS..When you use it it feels alot like Snow Leopard and uses less resources.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Good for you, but that has nothing to do with what I said. I was reassuring him that 70 is a normal (and safe) operating temperature for a 2011 MBP. Mine is usually between 50 and 80 depending on what I'm doing.
It had everything to do with what you said, as it was ambiguous and could be understood in two ways.

MonkeyBrainz

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2012
It had everything to do with what you said, as it was ambiguous and could be understood in two ways.

We're talking about fan speeds in completely different computing devices. Also leaving a "..." at the end of a comment while remaining vague generally has a negative connotation, not ambiguity. Forgive me if I misunderstood your intention.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland

I put ML on a 2008 MBP with 2 GB of RAM. After boot, the wired memory is about 300 MB, and total memory in use is less than one GB. SL on the same machine did get along with less than 200 MB wired.

Now, Lion, on my 8 GB machine, usually starts with 700 MB wired, and about 1.3 GB of memory in use.

Now, I'm not sure if this shows that ML is better with memory management, or if OSX is programmed to use more memory if it is available, but it seems like a good sign. Performance on the 2008 machine is still very slow, since Safari quickly uses up the available memory.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Safari 5.2 still uses a lot of RAM, but for me at least, it's MUCH quicker than previous Safari versions. Quick enough to switch me back from Chrome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.