Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:19 AM   #1
yjchua95
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to yjchua95
Mountain Lion installing on another partition

Hello.
I got my hand on an ML dmg and have created two partitions on my MBP's hard drive. One is the standard 10.7.3 and another is a blank Mac OS Extended (Journaled) 40GB partition for ML.
I can't seem to create a bootable disk (used Disk Util to restore my USB with the dmg. Although I erased the USB as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), however, after restoring the dmg into it, the format became Mac OS Extended (not journaled).
So now can I just open the dmg in Lion instead, and then select it to install in my second 40GB partition instead? Or does it require Lion to install it from the dmg instead?
Thanks.
PS This may sound dumb, but I've never tried this before and am not going to risk wiping my Lion partition first.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:21 AM   #2
Hellhammer

Send a message via MSN to Hellhammer
Just open the installer in Lion and you can choose the empty partition as the target of the installation.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:36 AM   #3
yjchua95
macrumors 68000

Err does this work fine? I'm afraid it may wreak havoc on my Lion partition, even if I select the other partition I have specifically created for ML :P
Thanks for your response!

----------

And PS, I have also read some posts stating that one can't boot back to Lion after installing ML, although it's in another partition. Is this true?
Thank you.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:43 AM   #4
Hellhammer

Send a message via MSN to Hellhammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjchua95 View Post
Err does this work fine? I'm afraid it may wreak havoc on my Lion partition, even if I select the other partition I have specifically created for ML :P
Thanks for your response!
At least it works fine for me, or how you would expect the first preview to work.

Quote:
And PS, I have also read some posts stating that one can't boot back to Lion after installing ML, although it's in another partition. Is this true?
Thank you.
I can still boot back into Snow Leopard if I want to, just tried it.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:46 AM   #5
illini71
macrumors member

When you create partitions they will not be deleted when you restore. If thats what your worried about. Your partitions are set until YOU delete them. Thats how i have done it for years.
illini71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:49 AM   #6
yjchua95
macrumors 68000

OK thanks for all the replies!
Old Feb 24, 2012, 04:49 PM   #7
yeah
macrumors 6502a

Make a quick note-to-self OP: Installing 2 versions of OSX on the same HDD (especially Macintosh HD) is a VERY bad idea and can ruin your partitions.
iPad 2 with iOS 7.1.
yeah is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:28 PM   #8
MacManiac76
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to MacManiac76 Send a message via MSN to MacManiac76 Send a message via Yahoo to MacManiac76 Send a message via Skype™ to MacManiac76
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah View Post
Make a quick note-to-self OP: Installing 2 versions of OSX on the same HDD (especially Macintosh HD) is a VERY bad idea and can ruin your partitions.
Not sure what you're trying to say here, but it is false. You can only install one version of OS X per partition and the fact that they are on separate partitions makes it virtually impossible for them to corrupt each other.
MacManiac76 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:33 PM   #9
Comeagain?
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via Skype™ to Comeagain?
Quote:
No, no it isn't. It's been done for many years.
Comeagain? is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2012, 07:24 PM   #10
kmj2318
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacManiac76 View Post
Not sure what you're trying to say here, but it is false. You can only install one version of OS X per partition and the fact that they are on separate partitions makes it virtually impossible for them to corrupt each other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comeagain? View Post
No, no it isn't. It's been done for many years.
I'm wondering how this idea came about because I just heard this person talking about that issue on this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC4NKbSBpqU

I want to partition my hdd for mountain lion but now I'm nervous.
kmj2318 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:40 AM   #11
r0k
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmj2318 View Post
I'm wondering how this idea came about because I just heard this person talking about that issue on this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC4NKbSBpqU

I want to partition my hdd for mountain lion but now I'm nervous.
I created a separate ML partition but I was worried about something "going wrong" because of the recovery partition so I opted to install on an external (usb) HDD I had left over when I upgraded my Macbook a few months ago. My internal HDD still has 2 partitions on the thing. One is empty and the other is still sitting there with Snow Leopard if I ever want it.

The only reason I'd be nervous about having ML and SL on one internal HDD is I'm not sure how the presence of the Lion or ML recovery partition might somehow interfere with SL.
r0k is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion