Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2008
I apologize if this might be the wrong forum to ask this question...

I'm looking for a pair of earbuds to use with my iPhone when I am working out at the gym. My budget is $200 but would prefer to spend less...

Just looking at some reviews on Amazon, I see the Bose mei2i's get decent reviews plus work with the iPhone when you have an incoming call. They might be at the top of my list.

I also see Polk just released a new line of earbuds.

My main concern is for the earbuds to stay in my ear as I am running. I have issues with the provided Apple earbuds not staying in my ears. And then sound quality is my next concern. Any suggestions? Thanks

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2008
^ Thanks. I'll look into those.

I do have a pair of Koss KSC-75s. I remember them having a nice fit on my ear but worry about the foam and too much sweat.

tk0084

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
Personally I love my skullcandy ink'd buds. I've run a marathon with them. Cheap, stay in, and awesome sound quality. I've bought more expensive skullcandy buds because of how much I loved the ink'd buds but they weren't nearly as nice in my opinion.

Don't go spending $200 on earbuds for running because they will end up destroyed from sweat eventually.

TBONE72

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
There was a really good thread in the iPhone accessories forum regarding this question, but I can't remember the name. I think if you search for the title of your post in that forum it should come up. Anyway, a lot of people were recommending Yurbuds (the loop over the ear variety) in that thread. I was thinking of getting a pair for myself.......

MrFrump

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
I bought these a couple months ago and they have been awesome. Very comfortable and great sound. Only knock is the cord is a bit short. It comes with an extender and built in volume adjuster, but that was a bit too bulky for me and was way more cord than I needed. I use them with a shuffle either clipped to my sleeve or clipped to my waistband which is a bit snug but not enough to yank them out of my ears. If you wear the iphone on your arm you will be fine.

Sennheiser MX 680

Last edited:

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Only for use at the gym right?

Cause if you're going to use them anywhere outside or in public, please please please please don't get the in-ear style. Stick to the normal ones that have a small hook over the ear (to keep them in place).

I exercise on an old RR track converted to a running, biking, skating, exercise trail. I can't tell you how many times I've come up behind someone and alerted them to my "passing on the left" and they have no idea because they are being irresponsible with their music/headphones.

Just a thought. If they're solely for use at a gym where people obviously won't be around you/passing you/needing to talk to you then you should be fine.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
During the winter months (yes, we do have 2 of them in Texas) I tend to do my cardio inside. But during the spring/fall I try to go outside as much as I can.
So I'm looking for some bluetooth buds that won't fall out and sound decent but won't break the bank. I can't stand the cord bouncing around as I walk/run.

So along these same lines of the OP, whats a good option(s) that'll stay on my head/ears and won't kill me?

EmbraceTheOne

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2011
During the winter months (yes, we do have 2 of them in Texas) I tend to do my cardio inside. But during the spring/fall I try to go outside as much as I can.
So I'm looking for some bluetooth buds that won't fall out and sound decent but won't break the bank. I can't stand the cord bouncing around as I walk/run.

So along these same lines of the OP, whats a good option(s) that'll stay on my head/ears and won't kill me?

Try putting the cord inside your shift.

Assuming you run with a shirt on.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I have a pair of these that I picked up from Best Buy. A little pricey, just for running buds, but I like them. We also have another pair that are pretty good, though I can't remember the brand and I am not home. They are a company that specifically makes sports audio equipment. Both are sold at Best Buy (and we shop almost exclusively there since my fiance gets a huge discount)

----------

Only for use at the gym right?

Cause if you're going to use them anywhere outside or in public, please please please please don't get the in-ear style. Stick to the normal ones that have a small hook over the ear (to keep them in place).

I exercise on an old RR track converted to a running, biking, skating, exercise trail. I can't tell you how many times I've come up behind someone and alerted them to my "passing on the left" and they have no idea because they are being irresponsible with their music/headphones.

Just a thought. If they're solely for use at a gym where people obviously won't be around you/passing you/needing to talk to you then you should be fine.

Respectfully, wouldn't the responsible thing to do be not blast music? If I have my music too loud, I don't care what kind of phones I am using, I wouldn't hear someone tell me they are passing on the left. Obviously don't get something that is designed to isolate noise, but I can hear everything within at least a dozen or so feet around me whether I use in ear or not. I also don't blast my music. It's not just a courtesy thing for other runner/bikers, but also a safety thing IMO.

jesslla

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2012
Respectfully, wouldn't the responsible thing to do be not blast music? If I have my music too loud, I don't care what kind of phones I am using, I wouldn't hear someone tell me they are passing on the left. Obviously don't get something that is designed to isolate noise, but I can hear everything within at least a dozen or so feet around me whether I use in ear or not. I also don't blast my music. It's not just a courtesy thing for other runner/bikers, but also a safety thing IMO.

I don't run, but I do use a pair of cheap earbuds (usually in my own house). Frequently I have them only turned one "click" up, so almost all the way down. I still can't hear what is going on "outside" very well. I *might* be able to tell when my husband says something when he's standing in the same room I am, but then again I might not. Even my old apple earbuds would block almost all of the sound out for me.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I don't run, but I do use a pair of cheap earbuds (usually in my own house). Frequently I have them only turned one "click" up, so almost all the way down. I still can't hear what is going on "outside" very well. I *might* be able to tell when my husband says something when he's standing in the same room I am, but then again I might not. Even my old apple earbuds would block almost all of the sound out for me.

Wow. Maybe I am the exception then. At "one click" I can hear what's going on around me better than I can hear the music! LOL I do have a question for you though. Can you hear your husband better, in this same situations, with over the ear headphones?

FWIW, I am not talking being able to make perfect conversation while running. Just simply hearing what is around you (someone saying SOMETHING implying they are approaching, train horn, etc. etc.)

Randman

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Jacksonville, Fla
I've been using the Plantronics at the gym and while biking. My wife has a pair as well.

backbeat903.jpg

http://www.plantronics.com/us/product/backbeat-903-plus

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
The Plantronics were uncomfortable in my ears, and had a tendency to bounce quite a bit while running. Then died after about 4 months of use.

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2008
Thanks again for the replies.

After doing more research and reading this thread, I'm thinking about trying a pair that I already own, the Koss KSC-75s. I just need to find where I put them!

As for an alternative, I guess the Bose mei2i's are still leading the pack. Unless there is something else out there I am missing that hasn't been posted yet..

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Personally I love my skullcandy ink'd buds. I've run a marathon with them. Cheap, stay in, and awesome sound quality. I've bought more expensive skullcandy buds because of how much I loved the ink'd buds but they weren't nearly as nice in my opinion.

Don't go spending $200 on earbuds for running because they will end up destroyed from sweat eventually.
Yup, expensive headphones I wouldn't use for running, gym, or anything to do with extraneous activity causing sweat etc. I use the Ink'd buds for running and gym and their perfect, the silicone tips that come with them are even better then some way more expensive headphones I've tried. I have a pair of Klipsch S4's for traveling on planes etc.

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2008
Skullcandy ink'd

The skullcandy ink'd buds will stay in-ear when running? Good to know. Maybe I'll try them out since they're cheap and easy to find. Thanks

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
the Bose mei2i's get decent reviews plus work with the iPhone when you have an incoming call.

Bose ie2 owner here. I absolutely love them. I run with them and the weird little hook they put in the design of the bud really works; I've yet to have them fall out. Plus, they're really easy to clean, as the tips are easily removed and washed, and replacement tips are dirt cheap ($9 for a replacement pair). I've washed the tips with soap and water a few times...they've yet to get grimey from sweat or anything like that.

I've had mine for about a year now and I'd highly recommend them. I use mine with a shuffle so I can't speak to the in-line controls, but I've yet to have any issues with the cord or anything like that. They also sound great, so they've allowed me to consolidate my headphones to just these and a pair of over-ear headphones. Just my two cents, hope this helps.

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
I use the Phillips Action Fit SHQ3000 ear buds for stressful workouts. They are sweat resistant and fit really nice. They have a soft, flexible ear cap that fits around the back of your ear so they don't fall out.

I've also used the Phillips SHH8107. These also have the piece that fits around the back of your ear (I find this design much more comfortable than trying to jam a traditional ear bud in your ear far enough that it is secure while running), but this set comes with a microphone and controls so you can use your iPhone while exercising.

Both are far below your budget. Neither complete blocks out other noises, but when running I want to be aware of the sounds (dogs and cars) around me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.