Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:00 AM   #1
lulla01
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to lulla01
Fan frequency?

I have a 2011 macbook air, my fans almost never turned on. After ML install i seem to notice my fans more even during just simple web browsing. This in itself may make me reinstall SL.
lulla01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:19 PM   #2
hpspec
macrumors newbie

2 Cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulla01 View Post
I have a 2011 macbook air, my fans almost never turned on. After ML install i seem to notice my fans more even during just simple web browsing. This in itself may make me reinstall SL.
I had smcFanControl installed in 10.7.2/3 beta (before it 'shipped') to make the fans stay running at a higher minimum RPM. I am fairly certain I restored the fan settings to default before upgrading, not a clean install, to DP1 and subsequently DP2. Minimum fan speed seems to be hovering around 2100 RPM at a low temp of ~50 degrees Celsius with minimal CPU activity. However, it seems whether I am running the integrated graphics or the dedicated the temps spike exponentially open running almost anything (CPU intensive or not).

Yes, this is a quad-core processor...but wow does it get loud over hardly anything. It's anti-Jobsian - like the 'new iPad': thicker, heavier, double the battery size for the same life for what? A hi-res display? Jobs would never have done this.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 06:09 AM   #3
beosound3200
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpspec View Post
I had smcFanControl installed in 10.7.2/3 beta (before it 'shipped') to make the fans stay running at a higher minimum RPM. I am fairly certain I restored the fan settings to default before upgrading, not a clean install, to DP1 and subsequently DP2. Minimum fan speed seems to be hovering around 2100 RPM at a low temp of ~50 degrees Celsius with minimal CPU activity. However, it seems whether I am running the integrated graphics or the dedicated the temps spike exponentially open running almost anything (CPU intensive or not).

Yes, this is a quad-core processor...but wow does it get loud over hardly anything. It's anti-Jobsian - like the 'new iPad': thicker, heavier, double the battery size for the same life for what? A hi-res display? Jobs would never have done this.
he had done it.
beosound3200 is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion