Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:35 AM   #1
sk24iam
macrumors regular

Best place to buy, Verizon or Apple store?

I have a few options for renewing my contract with Verizon and upgrading to 4s. Are there any benefit in going through Verizon's online website and having it shipped, Verizon store, or Apple store?

Thanks
sk24iam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:50 AM   #2
pooleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk24iam View Post
I have a few options for renewing my contract with Verizon and upgrading to 4s. Are there any benefit in going through Verizon's online website and having it shipped, Verizon store, or Apple store?

Thanks
Go to the apple store. Apple keeps all records of what you buy there and wether it is a phone or accessories if anything goes wrong getting a replacement/repair will be far easier. I recently bought an apple accessory at Best buy, it broke, and I had a difficult time getting a replacement at the Apple store becuase I bought it somewhere else.
pooleman is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:54 AM   #3
sk24iam
macrumors regular

Will I be eligible for the 'New Every Two' $30 discount Verizon offers at the apple store?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:55 AM   #4
b166er
macrumors 68020

I would buy from apple. In case of any issues they have a fairly no hassle exchange policy. Only problem is the one near me is always packed.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:59 AM   #5
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

The only time I wouldn't recommend someone buy from Apple is when they have funky stuff going on with their wireless account.

Other than changing rate plans, Apple can't directly access or make changes to your account. So if you need an upgrade date changed, have a family plan and want to use an upgrade from one line on a different line, want to get a business discount setup, etc ... Apple can't help you with that.

I like buying from Apple because they seem to have the most selection when it comes to things like cases and accessories. Not that you couldn't buy from Verizon and then swing by the Apple Store, but why not knock out two birds with one stone if you can?
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:22 AM   #6
cynics
macrumors 603

I find Verizon to be more helpful since they are the people I have the problems with, not the device itself. I'd probably buy from Apple and then use Verizon unless I needed a replacement,
cynics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:45 AM   #7
Pathfinder3
macrumors member

For me it was way more convient to go to VZW because it's right down the street as opposed to the Apple Store (few hours drive away).
Pathfinder3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:54 AM   #8
smetvid
macrumors 6502

Best Buy.

Same price and you get reward zone points which equal money back for you eventually. I buy all my Apple stuff at Best Buy because of this. Very good way to get a tiny discount on Apple products even if it means having to spend that money back at Best Buy.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:02 AM   #9
iceterminal
macrumors 68000

I personally will not go anywhere else other than an Apple store when purchasing Apple products.
Mainly I do this because the people there do know about the product. They don't have to worry about who made what, when, where, etc. They know their own products and warranties. Plus they have better records on what I purchase.

Also, it gives me a great opportunity to browse for other items I can waste my money on.

The only worth these items have is the one you give them.
iceterminal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:08 AM   #10
sk24iam
macrumors regular

Called the Apple store, apparently they don't honor the New every 2 discount. Looks like I will be heading to Verizon store.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:18 AM   #11
Leonard1818
In Time-Out

Verizon did away with "new every two" a long time ago...

Verizon will subsidize your purchase however. That is... you purchase a $600 iPhone with a 2 year contract, and they only charge you $200 (they pay the other $400 or whatever).

But as far as "new every two" it's gone.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-20028438-233.html

EDIT: I guess it does say in that article that if you had an existing NE2 plan, it would carry over:

Quote:
UPDATE: We've received word from Verizon spokesperson Brenda Raney that existing customers will still be able to use their New Every Two credit for the iPhone or any device in the portfolio, but as the programs ends after January 16th, they won't be able to sign up for the New Every Two program after that. They're replacing the New Every Two system with a new upgrade program to be announced later in the year.

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7...#ixzz1nDqOSA2q
my bad... maybe you are eligible

----------

with that said, I went to Verizon to get my iPhone. They had to order it (obviously) and it was fine. A tad bumpy in the sense that they didn't have me "sign the agreement" while I was in-store so I got an email the next day that said I had to log in and "sign the agreement".

This actually worked out in my favor (or so I thought). I had originally gotten a 32gig and after doing some research and talking to friends, I changed my mind and opted for a 16gig. Too late... until I got that email. I simply signed in and "declined the agreement" and changed to a 16 gig iPhone.

Now though, wish I woulda just kept the 32.

oh well... tldr.
Leonard1818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:19 AM   #12
sk24iam
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
Verizon did away with "new every two" a long time ago...

Verizon will subsidize your purchase however. That is... you purchase a $600 iPhone with a 2 year contract, and they only charge you $200 (they pay the other $400 or whatever).

But as far as "new every two" it's gone.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-20028438-233.html

EDIT: I guess it does say in that article that if you had an existing NE2 plan, it would carry over:

my bad... maybe you are eligible

----------

with that said, I went to Verizon to get my iPhone. They had to order it (obviously) and it was fine. A tad bumpy in the sense that they didn't have me "sign the agreement" while I was in-store so I got an email the next day that said I had to log in and "sign the agreement".

This actually worked out in my favor (or so I thought). I had originally gotten a 32gig and after doing some research and talking to friends, I changed my mind and opted for a 16gig. Too late... until I got that email. I simply signed in and "declined the agreement" and changed to a 16 gig iPhone.

Now though, wish I woulda just kept the 32.

oh well... tldr.
Ya, I verified with Verizon, I have a New Every 2 discount ontop of the subsidized price.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:21 AM   #13
Leonard1818
In Time-Out

good! Then yes, you will likely want to go to Verizon

they were nice to me though. Within my 14 days they replaced my iPhone for a problem it was having with no questions asked. Just be sure you go in knowing exactly what you want and don't let the salespeople push you around... they are mostly nice but they work on comission.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:27 AM   #14
gadgetmonster
macrumors regular

do both

my .02: Buy Verizon to get your discount; go to apple store if you have any problems. Verizon store employees are a PIA, apple store employees rock. Buy applecare protection plan so your covered, apple will fix any problem you have.
gadgetmonster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:56 AM   #15
Leonard1818
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetmonster View Post
my .02: Buy Verizon to get your discount; go to apple store if you have any problems. Verizon store employees are a PIA, apple store employees rock. Buy applecare protection plan so your covered, apple will fix any problem you have.
I did buy applecare too, OP. I advise it. I don't have an apple store really close to me though.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone