Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:08 PM   #26
henrystar
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRCL View Post
So, his own dream that he keeps referring to? Obviously it was a career in television.

Sorry, I feel we have here a guy with real class! I would hope I myself would be as mature about the circus in which we all live. Congrats, on integrity, aplomb, and savoir vivre!
henrystar is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:06 PM   #27
Stike
macrumors 65816

Send a message via ICQ to Stike Send a message via AIM to Stike
This article sold me his book. No kidding, I read the example pages at amazon and ordered it.

If he really wanted to write this, I can understand it. This book, getting the own thoughts out there, is worth more than any wealth of money in the world.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:13 PM   #28
drjsway
macrumors 6502a

Anybody read the article?

He said he would've stayed four years, gotten rich, then left. He certainly didn't say he would've left Apple at the time he did if given the chance to do it over.
drjsway is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:40 PM   #29
pubwvj
macrumors 68000

The grapes are very sour.
http://SugarMtnFarm.com
pubwvj is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:30 PM   #30
mixel
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to mixel Send a message via MSN to mixel Send a message via Yahoo to mixel
Quote:
Originally Posted by usptact View Post
It's not clear for me in what way he "put the dent in the Universe"... a book? that's too small, or I simply miss something?
There's a pretty strong precedent for books causing "dents in the universe". If my legacy was a book of importance in some way I'd be happy with that. (and the usual family stuff that people take for granted)
mixel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:35 PM   #31
waldobushman
macrumors regular

That's life

Few exist who doesn't regret something or think what if. Randomness rules our lives even though we might feel we're in control. And we certainly never succeed solely because of our own skill and character. There is no such thing as a self-made man.

Wayne left because his passion and vision and risk values did not align with Jobs and Woz, and I suggest he would have been, like most of us, I'd guess, crushed under the weight of Steve Jobs.
waldobushman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 07:28 AM   #32
anomie
macrumors 6502

Weight? I Don´t know, Steve Jobs was quite skinny in the 80s and his last years.
anomie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:24 AM   #33
MrNomNoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhop81 View Post
poor guy is missing out on some major cash!
There is more to life than just money.
MrNomNoms is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:44 AM   #34
Winni
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarrus View Post
That's what rather most people would say if they'd made that big of a bad decision.
Most startups fail. Actually, almost all startups fail, only a very tiny fraction is successful. It took Apple years to become successful and in the late 1990s it was almost a stupid thing to buy Apple stock since the company was on the edge of bankruptcy. How stupid do YOU feel today that you didn't buy Apple stocks back in the 1990s? Or are you a teenager and too young to have been around at that time?

Nobody can see the future and most investments are gambles. You win some, you lose some. That's probably not a problem for very wealthy people, but for the 99.9999% of people on a budget, you better be careful with your money.

Also, you need A LOT of commitment and energy to run a startup - and like any other gamble, there is no guaranteed outcome. He made a decision based on the situation back then.

And as my history teacher taught us at school: You have to look at history through the eyes of that time. You cannot judge history from today's perspective.

If you do that, we all are idiots for not having bought ridiculous amounts of Apple stocks when the company was close to collapsing.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:14 AM   #35
lazyrighteye
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRCL View Post
So, his own dream that he keeps referring to? Obviously it was a career in television.

Don't discount his big screen career...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vigo3.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	326047  
lazyrighteye is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:37 AM   #36
linux2mac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhop81 View Post
poor guy is missing out on some major cash!
"Poor guy?" He still has his life, "if you have your health you have everything!"
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:00 AM   #37
SeattleMoose
macrumors 65816

Another "Pete Best" Story

Happens all the time.....shoulda woulda coulda...."if only".
SeattleMoose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:13 AM   #38
Moopy Sac
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubwvj View Post
The grapes are very sour.
To whom are you referring? Some of the people in this thread? Because Wayne certainly doesn't seem to have sour grapes, rather the exact opposite. He has remarked several times that Woz and Jobs have changed the world and he just didn't fit into the culture.
Moopy Sac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:07 PM   #39
Snide
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux2mac View Post
"Poor guy?" He still has his life, "if you have your health you have everything!"
Indeed. Steve Jobs became a multi-billionaire, yet died quite young.

Ron Wayne lives on...
Snide is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:11 PM   #40
toddybody

How is this even news?
toddybody is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:27 PM   #41
steve.caplin77
macrumors newbie

I think most of the people doesn't know about this truth. I try best to also share this thread with my friends.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:06 PM   #42
rmhop81
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux2mac View Post
why are people being so technical about the comment? It's a fact the guy missed out on tons of cash....now everyone is trying to justify it.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:23 PM   #43
Scarrus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winni View Post
Most startups fail. Actually, almost all startups fail, only a very tiny fraction is successful. It took Apple years to become successful and in the late 1990s it was almost a stupid thing to buy Apple stock since the company was on the edge of bankruptcy. How stupid do YOU feel today that you didn't buy Apple stocks back in the 1990s? Or are you a teenager and too young to have been around at that time?

Nobody can see the future and most investments are gambles. You win some, you lose some. That's probably not a problem for very wealthy people, but for the 99.9999% of people on a budget, you better be careful with your money.

Also, you need A LOT of commitment and energy to run a startup - and like any other gamble, there is no guaranteed outcome. He made a decision based on the situation back then.

And as my history teacher taught us at school: You have to look at history through the eyes of that time. You cannot judge history from today's perspective.

If you do that, we all are idiots for not having bought ridiculous amounts of Apple stocks when the company was close to collapsing.

I guess you and others have understood me badly, I didn't say, nor imply that he or anyone was an idiot but said that if most people were in his shoes they would rather say "Oh, well doesn't matter" than "Yeah, damn, I lost SO MUCH MONEY!"
Scarrus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 04:03 PM   #44
liavman
macrumors 6502

Quote:
It's not clear for me in what way he "put the dent in the Universe"... a book? that's too small, or I simply miss something?
Anyways, if he is happy with what he has, then this is a major success! Nowadays it is so hard and rather uncommon to be humble and happy with his/her current position.
We all put a dent in the universe in our own ways, little or big. That is the point and moral of that story that we can take away.

When Apple went public, Steve and Steve decided who all will get apple shares. I wonder if they offered any to this man.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarrus View Post
That's what rather most people would say if they'd made that big of a bad decision.
Such cynicism is suffocating.
liavman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:02 PM   #45
Dave00
macrumors 6502a

Meh. 40 years of research, and his dent-in-the-universe book doesn't seem to be footnoted at all? Sounds more like a manifesto to me, and probably congruent with his seeming haphazard (and ultimately financially poor) decision to leave Apple. Let's not forget, this isn't someone that worked with them a couple years then decided to sell his shares. This was a buyback almost immediately after the company's formation. Probably better for the Steves that he left. But not better for him.

Dave
Dave00 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:13 AM   #46
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Only 35 years too late mate. No one cares. You're talking about ancient history
the8thark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:24 AM   #47
Lennholm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Anyways, if he is happy with what he has, then this is a major success! Nowadays it is so hard and rather uncommon to be humble and happy with his/her current position.
Books are what constitutes the sum of the collective knowledge of mankind, so a book can certainly put a dent in the universe. Take "On the origin of species..." for example

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
Only 35 years too late mate. No one cares. You're talking about ancient history
Well you took the time to read it...
Lennholm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 01:55 PM   #48
imageWIS
macrumors 6502a

He still became a millionaire in his own right with other ventures... everything considered, he is doing better than most people.
imageWIS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:08 PM   #49
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennholm View Post
Books are what constitutes the sum of the collective knowledge of mankind, so a book can certainly put a dent in the universe. Take "On the origin of species..." for example

Well you took the time to read it...
I did. I read the lot. That's why I said what I did.
But you could not have known I read it all. So next time ask before you assume ok.
the8thark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:20 AM   #50
Dcuellar
macrumors regular

If that's what helps you sleep at night....

Last edited by Dcuellar; Feb 27, 2012 at 10:33 AM.
Dcuellar is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion