Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:22 PM   #1
Plasmaxyz
macrumors newbie

I cant text people without iMessage. Urgent Help Needed.

I am trying to text someone who has an iPhone 3gs and is on a firmware 4.x.x. Whenever i try to text him it says "(phone number) is not registered with iMessage" and i cant hit send after i type out my message. I tried disabling iMessage in settings, but when i go back to the Messages app it want me to set it up again and i cant just say no. I am on an iPhone 4, 5.0.1 jailbroken.

Please help.
Plasmaxyz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:48 PM   #2
eclipse01
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmaxyz View Post
I am trying to text someone who has an iPhone 3gs and is on a firmware 4.x.x. Whenever i try to text him it says "(phone number) is not registered with iMessage" and i cant hit send after i type out my message. I tried disabling iMessage in settings, but when i go back to the Messages app it want me to set it up again and i cant just say no. I am on an iPhone 4, 5.0.1 jailbroken.

Please help.
tell that person to download IOS5
eclipse01 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:50 PM   #3
lordofthereef
macrumors 604

Are you sending the text to his number or his email? If you answer number, are you SURE it's his number (iMessage uses numbers and/or email, if that wasn't clear)? Lastly, are you able to send normal texts to anyone else.

Also, go to Settings>Messages, and then see if "Send as SMS" is ON. THat is what will allow you to bypass iMessage if iMessage isn't allowing receipt.

Last edited by lordofthereef; Feb 23, 2012 at 02:26 PM.
lordofthereef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:55 PM   #4
h00ligan
macrumors 68030

iOS 5 is the answer.
h00ligan is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:59 PM   #5
lordofthereef
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse01 View Post
tell that person to download IOS5
Quote:
Originally Posted by h00ligan View Post
iOS 5 is the answer.
This isn't the answer. He should still be able to send standard texts to iOS devices without them having to have iOS5 installed.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:10 PM   #6
chaos86
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to chaos86
Did he ever upgrade his 3Gs to iOS5? If so, it's serial number was registered with Apple as a device that could recieve iMessages, and I don't know how he'd get himself off that list
chaos86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:21 PM   #7
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
This isn't the answer. He should still be able to send standard texts to iOS devices without them having to have iOS5 installed.
Exactly, my friend lost her 4 running iOS 5 and went back to her 3G...does it make sense that I simply wouldn't be able to text her without her having iOS 5 installed?
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:25 PM   #8
lordofthereef
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos86 View Post
Did he ever upgrade his 3Gs to iOS5? If so, it's serial number was registered with Apple as a device that could recieve iMessages, and I don't know how he'd get himself off that list
Even so, the information I posted above should get around this. That's why the option is there, in case that happens.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:37 PM   #9
Plasmaxyz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Are you sending the text to his number or his email? If you answer number, are you SURE it's his number (iMessage uses numbers and/or email, if that wasn't clear)? Lastly, are you able to send normal texts to anyone else.

Also, go to Settings>Messages, and then see if "Send as SMS" is ON. THat is what will allow you to bypass iMessage if iMessage isn't allowing receipt.
I don't have that option. I took some screencaps that might help.

Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:39 PM   #10
lordofthereef
macrumors 604

Very strange. Belopw is an image of what mine looks like. Maybe try turning iMessage on and then off? Also, your "receive at" is there a phone number there, or just email? I have my phone number and my email there. Make sure there is a phone number there, at the very least.

Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:46 PM   #11
Plasmaxyz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Very strange. Belopw is an image of what mine looks like. Maybe try turning iMessage on and then off? Also, your "receive at" is there a phone number there, or just email? I have my phone number and my email there. Make sure there is a phone number there, at the very least.
I may have figured out the problem, I just put my iPhone into safe mode and went into messages and everything was there that was in your picture and I was able to send the text.

I'm guessing I should restore my phone then?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:51 PM   #12
h00ligan
macrumors 68030

My mistake.
h00ligan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:02 PM   #13
lordofthereef
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmaxyz View Post
I may have figured out the problem, I just put my iPhone into safe mode and went into messages and everything was there that was in your picture and I was able to send the text.

I'm guessing I should restore my phone then?
You can try, although I am not sure why safe mode would bring up MORE options than running in standard. Do you have any jailbreak texting apps that might be conflicting here?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone